Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-08-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
david_100
Tickford Man

Default Aftermarket Headunit unInstallation

Hi guys, if this a re-post please direct me to the correct thread..

I currently have a head unit in my xr8 (Pioneer DEH-2050MPG)
I got it installed by JB HI-FI a little while back, I want to remove it now but just cant work how to!
I can't even get the pocket underneath the H/U to come off without having to break it.. I'm not 100% sure how to go about it..

Do I take off the Centre Dash to remove it or is their some sort of tool to take out the H/U?

If anyone has done this before could you please help me out and possibly give me a step by step guide.. That would be really great!

Cheers Guys

david_100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
T3man
Banned

There should be two flat metal bars (in the original box the unit came in and which the installer gave to you after fitting the unit) that slip along the side of the HU (after you remove the HU fascia). They release the lock tabs and then you simply pull the unit towards you.

You cannot remove the centre dash without removing the HU - it is the first thing to come out - last thing to go in.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What he said. My install is even worse, I chucked in a double-din Kenwood unit. I'll never get it back out!
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
brad`
The Monty

same as u clontarf, i got my doublre din installed and they had that many problems in stalling it, i went to remove it the other week coz my RCA came loose ( dont think they put them in tight int he first place ) and to my shock i found they used carboard on either side of the unit to hold it in, the only problem is.. i cant get anything down the side to get the cardboard out! damn pro installers doing dogy stuff.. sorry to steal thread

brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

If you can get the headunit out (you need the metal bars as stated above) you will see two grey clips on either side of the pocket.

You need to use a screwdriver or another flat object and try to force them towards the pocket, the pocked should then slide out once they are un-clipped .
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
White_sr_taxi

I hope this isn't too far off topic, but being on the subject of head units, i know getting the stock unit and after market units can be tricky to pull out but how easy is it to put them in? what troubles are there? any links and direction would be greatfully appreciated.

Last edited by White_sr_taxi; 11-08-2009 at 03:51 PM. Reason: not finished
White_sr_taxi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #7
jcto
JCTO AUII Falcon

Hi all, I have just been through replacing the clock, then the clock globe ( dont ask ) then had a new Kenwood single din and pocket instlled in my AUII. Removing the factory H/U was fairly straight forward once I had the bent wire to the right specs, putting the H/U back in was very easy, just make sure the clips are not bent out of shape otherwise it will be hard to get backout should anything happen. As for the new H/U, I just took it to Alberts in Rockingham who installed the new H/U & pocket and it looks A1. They gave me the original box and H/U back completewith instructions and tools......all up 90min and $120......not bad since I didnt get a headache installing it..FYI, had another of the same stereos installed same day in my fiance's magna and only took the guy 25min to remove the old H/U and install the new....this was all done on a Sat by 1 bloke who also had to answer the door and phones......hope we are allowed to plug gr8 service and professional installers.
jcto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
david_100
Tickford Man

Hey guys, thanks alot for the help.. i had the tools and it was very simple to take out..

Cheers
david_100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post