Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-09-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default London Black Cabs Arrive in Aus

http://www.caradvice.com.au/251834/l...and-australia/

Quote:
A fleet of London black cabs has arrived in Australia as the company behind the retro-styled runabouts seeks to take a slice of the local taxi market.

The white-painted TX4 vehicles arrived at Fremantle port over the weekend on a boat from China where they are produced by Shanghai-based Geely – the new owner of the previously cash-strapped London Taxi Company.

The “hot-condition” cabs, equipped with stronger air conditioning units and larger batteries, radiators and alternators, will be trialled in a number of states over the coming months as the manufacturer aims to convince local authorities, operators and drivers of the cabs’ benefits.

London Taxi Company CEO Evan Simeon told AAP his company was in negotiations with the states ahead of the launch of the trial program.

“We will do our due diligence, and so will the states, and hopefully these taxis will be out on the road somewhere soon,” Simeon said.

london-black-cabs-white-inside

He says the TX4’s purpose-built design made it better suited to the task than Australia’s traditional sedan-based taxis.

“When you have a look at the majority of taxis, they are converted sedans which were not built to be cabs and so are not fit for the purpose.”

The ‘hot-condition’ cabs were successfully deployed in the Middle East several years ago.

The Victorian Government’s 2012 review into the taxi industry suggested the London black cabs “should be allowed to operate in the Victorian fleet”, and recommended “more flexibility be incorporated into the federal and state standards to allow these vehicles to be used”.
Thoughts on these replacing our Aussie cabs?

2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
stazza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: London Black Cabs Arrive in Aus

There were some brought out some years ago iirc. I remember seeing them operate in Sydney. Didn't seem to last long.

They weren't much competition for a Falcon, but if operators are taking to using Priuses nowadays they might be a genuine (spacious) alternative!
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2013, 01:13 AM   #3
OffRoadFalcon
"Flooded it mate?"

I haven't been keeping up with this at all, but I thought I read some time ago that the London cab company went under?
OffRoadFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2013, 01:46 AM   #4
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Grinzy View Post
I haven't been keeping up with this at all, but I thought I read some time ago that the London cab company went under?
They were bought out by Geely

I wonder how theyll go.. im curious to go ride in one. I still prefer to see Falcons as cabs. But down here, they still use good ol' reliable AU's so Freo can keep them imports!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
wookie836
Highway wanderer

do these geely cabs have a 5 star ancap rating like the commodore/falcon/camry? i cant see how the reports claim of using these cars will improve safety and service to the cab industry? which govt official brokered a deal with geely to get this happening over using our own locally built vehicles.
wookie836 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 18-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
XRGhia
meh.
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Contributions in the technical arena. 

I'll still prefer to see a Falcon/Commodore used as a Taxi, then once they're gone, some other locally manufactured 4 door full sized sedan. None of this import stuff.

edit: would you seriously want to be seen in something like this?

Old 18-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #7
strobe

The local manufacturing stuff aside. Black cabs are exceedingly convenient as a user. I spend just under 4 years living in london, and I'd be more than happy to be seen in the back of one. You can fit 5 people in the back and still take luggage (that goes in the front next to the driver). We used to regularly have 4 adults and a pram in the back, which can roll in, although that probably wouldn't be legal in this country! If it was just me, or me and someone then a falcon is great. If you've got 4 (or 5) boofheads then black cab all day.
strobe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
BHDOGS
Banned

i wish Australia would stop stealing other peoples culture and get some of its own
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobe View Post
The local manufacturing stuff aside. Black cabs are exceedingly convenient as a user. I spend just under 4 years living in london, and I'd be more than happy to be seen in the back of one. You can fit 5 people in the back and still take luggage (that goes in the front next to the driver). We used to regularly have 4 adults and a pram in the back, which can roll in, although that probably wouldn't be legal in this country! If it was just me, or me and someone then a falcon is great. If you've got 4 (or 5) boofheads then black cab all day.
That's what I've heard and read about them...and amazingly well thought out package, specially built to carry passengers, not just a family car being used as a passenger carrying vehicle.

It'd be a great idea to bring modified ones here to suit our conditions (the air con, radiators, etc they mentioned), about time we did the sensible thing, looked at the best of what the world has to offer, and turn it to our own advantage.
Why do we "have" to have a four door sedan as a taxi? Why does it "need" to be a Falcon or Commodore? When other people are doing something better, take note of what they're doing, and adapt it and do it better yourself.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2013, 05:05 PM   #10
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I wonder if the local cabbies driving them will be as 'knowledgeable' as the London ones
Old 18-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #11
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS View Post
i wish Australia would stop stealing other peoples culture and get some of its own
Australia has a car culture. Ford & Holden or more specifically Falcon & Commodore.
Ford killed Falcon and you want the Commodore to die, so where else can we source vehicles suitable to be used as taxis etc ?
Old 18-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #12
Kayos
Lag = hang onto something

Thats a joke to say the least, why would you import these boxes with all our options. bet they wouldn't handle the aussie conditions like the Fords!

Some years back, if the battle GM v Ford topic came up I'd raise the card "jump in a cab and ask the driver, what would you rather drive" in vic the drivers answers were 98% Ford. Thats when the drivers still spoke halflish... (half something/ english)

Some previous rides: Ef mont, RX7tt series VI, BM coupes, TE50, BA ghia, BA XR6t

Current rides: G6E blk/Cshmr, Chrysler by Chrysler no.1, Chrysler by Chrysler no.2
Kayos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #13
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a great time using the black cabs in London as well. Better than jumping into a whining, clunky Falcon. They were more convenient too imo.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2013, 06:42 PM   #14
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I cant see the commodore being around too much longer after the falcon goes unfortunately. why not just use the Camry Hybrid?? it mightn't be Australian designed but it is built here. the prius is useless as a Taxi IMO. I wish they'd can the prius as a taxi. its ok as a front passenger but annoying as a back passenger, just stick too falcon/commodore and camry. only go import if/when all three go
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #15
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

it would have to be better than a ssanyong van...

prius's suck too
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #16
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its been tried before and from talking to the drivers that had them I was told they had terrible reliability issues and suspension just didn't hold up in Oz conditions.

Maybe they are better cars these days. This was the early 90s last time I saw 1 on the road in Melb.
zipping is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #17
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

^^^THIS

and lack of spare parts and cost.

I can get an ex govt falcon for $15000 ish, how much are these???

Operators are usually after the cheapest/most reliable combo...until recently that has been the Falcon.

It has been tried a few times before...maybe in 2022 when there are no more Falcons I may consider it.

I had no dramas with them in London though.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #18
Kayos
Lag = hang onto something

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T View Post
I had a great time using the black cabs in London as well. Better than jumping into a whining, clunky Falcon. They were more convenient too imo.
wow having a great time using a cab while on holiday...
vs the falcon with 750,000+ klms on it and the drivers from hells bells freshly spiced up without rexona...

What can i say, there's a few falcons I'd rather be in during a collision than that guessing Korean built thing...
your bashing a falcon vs these?? your on aff because??

Some previous rides: Ef mont, RX7tt series VI, BM coupes, TE50, BA ghia, BA XR6t

Current rides: G6E blk/Cshmr, Chrysler by Chrysler no.1, Chrysler by Chrysler no.2
Kayos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #19
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What engine these have in them? What size are they compared to a car we have on the roads here?
Last as long as Falcons do?
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #20
GTPete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Black, that's a smart colour for the Australian summer.
GTPete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #21
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPete View Post
Black, that's a smart colour for the Australian summer.
That are called "black cabs" but actually come in all colours.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2013, 11:29 AM   #22
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
What engine these have in them? What size are they compared to a car we have on the roads here?
Last as long as Falcons do?
They are diesel powered and can fit 4 or 5 people in the back and are about the same length as a Falcon.
Old 19-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #23
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oddly, London cabbies are now allowed to use Mercedes Vans as cabs.
Old 19-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #24
swanee
spoolin!

Wont see to many of them around international airports. Unless they are good at towing a trailer for luggage.

Previous Rides - 2014 Black Mica PX XLT Ranger Dual Cab 3.2 Diesel

2011 FPV GS 315 Sedan. Sunburst, manual, fully optioned. Build #165.

My 1955 Ford Thunderbird Project (A tribute to my late mother) - 1955 Thunderbird Build Thread
swanee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2013, 12:17 PM   #25
strobe

Your luggage goes in the passenger side next to the driver, there's no seat there. You can easily fit 3 full sized suitcases and hand luggage.
strobe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #26
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
I wonder if the local cabbies driving them will be as 'knowledgeable' as the London ones
They could sell them with a "The Knowledge" software pack installed.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #27
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

The biggest anti-ad for the Falcon are Taxis. 99% of the population has sampled the Falcon by riding in a taxi. 99% of Falcon Taxis stink, are filthy, make horrible noises and just plain stink.

What impression do you think most average punters are left with?

A Ford fan will see reliability, toughness, adaptability and ruggedness. Everyone else sees vomit stains. Gotta buy one of these! Not.
Old 19-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #28
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Your luggage goes in the passenger compartment with you on the floor, there is plenty of room in them. I've used them heaps of times.

Falcon has always been the cabbie favourite because of its durability, running costs on LPG and relative ease of repair, but from a practicality standpoint of moving people point to point, the London cab is better. Whether it can hold a candle to the Falcon in the areas I mentioned remains to be seen and I guess the manufacturer needs to convince cab operators of this.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #29
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

can't say iv seen many if any new falcons as cabs in SA.

If the cab is not a B series then its a camry or prius.
Old 19-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #30
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Those fold down seats look comfy.