Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 07:01 PM   #1
athol

Default Missed out by 1.week.

This is a long involved story so grab a drink and listen to this tale of woe.
My second best mate has been giving me a hand to restore a xa coupe that I picked up a while ago, a 302 auto fairmont that we found sitting under a tree on a property, the owner had been restoring it and gave up, it was complete but had been stripped of interior and was basicly a rolling shell, had to tow it with a tractor to the car trailer, but for a thousand bucks with all the parts big tank, rare sump guard ,whose complaining.

Anyway we were chatting about the coupe and the second best mate who owns a bottle shop was saying that an old bloke who used to come in was pretty crook,and bedridden, and he had a ax or xb coupe,and was in pristine condition, we should see if he want's to sell it. Bear in mind this was about three weeks ago, and I didn't want to appear to be a vulture and try and get this old blokes pride and joy.

So today we were coming back from the local wreckers and as we drove past the old blokes house the mate talked me into going to see the old fellow, his wife came to the door, we asked about the chaps health and mentioned the car, oh she said I sold it last week,my husband is very ill and I have power of attorney, she showed us a photo, and it was a xb g.s. coupe and appeared to be immaculate, hadn't been driven for 10 years only going out for rego each year didn't know the mileage but it was his pride and joy and he treated it like a baby. Seems some people from sydney got wind of the car and picked it up for four grand, they offered her three and a half but the wife wanted four. by this time I was nearly in tears and didn't have the heart to tell the wife what the car was worth.

I suppose I realy can't complain should have been a vulture like the buyers but it's not really me, and it wasen't meant to be, got the first one cheap so the second would have been a godsend.

Athol.

Old 12-05-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What was the cars real value?
Old 12-05-2006, 07:06 PM   #3
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You wouldn't really have been a vulture though.. the wife may have been able to use the money for certain things.. and needed it even.

You could have gone to her and said you were interested but didn't want to seem like a 'vulture' but give her your phone number for if she wanted to sell or when she was ready to....

Oh well, no point being upset to much, these things happen, and maybe something better is around the corner (either that or you have at least learnt you should have gone and spoken sooner)..
Old 12-05-2006, 08:00 PM   #4
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Last one i saw on e bay was up to $16,000, reserve not met.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:15 PM   #5
athol

Quote:
I only saw a recent picture of the car, but the mate saw it five years ago and said it was immaculate you could put it in a car show without touching it, the wife didn't know the mileage, but she said they bought it new and didn't go out in it very often,there was a bus stop at their front door, so assuming the mileage is low I would say 10.000 pluss.

Athol.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:55 PM   #6
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...218#post709218

damn.... gotta be quick.. daves bro bought it... from batemans bay?

mick.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:33 PM   #7
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its a shame she didn't know about its true value. $4,000 for something worth mid teens. Its a shame.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:30 PM   #8
athol

Quote:
Its a shame she didn't know about its true value. $4,000 for something worth mid teens. Its a shame.
It certainly is a shame ripping off a bloke about to die and his unknowing wife, at least I can say I would have paid a lot more than 4 for it. seems a neighbour was feeding info to the buyer about the car. I normally would say congratulations to the buyer but under the circumstances of sale, no way.

Athol.
Old 13-05-2006, 07:35 AM   #9
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by athol
It certainly is a shame ripping off a bloke about to die and his unknowing wife, at least I can say I would have paid a lot more than 4 for it. seems a neighbour was feeding info to the buyer about the car. I normally would say congratulations to the buyer but under the circumstances of sale, no way.

Athol.
I agree. I don't know what makes people go to the lengths they do to screw someone over who are in a situation like that.
Old 13-05-2006, 02:10 PM   #10
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think its just life... i mean, the lady was happy.... the buyer was happy....

sour grapes for alot of people out there wanting a coupe.. .but hey... i say stiff.

i doubt any of us would have said, "hey, you know what, you want 4k, but since i feel sorry for you, here's 10k...." then flip it for 15k, really, would anyone?

if you're selling a house you look at market value, why not for anything else?

harsh, but reality bites.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:47 PM   #11
-RADICAL-POSTURE-
!

where is the best place to get guard rolling done in the inner city sydney ? help please
Old 01-12-2008, 07:43 PM   #12
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am now waiting to see if it appears on ebay.....
Old 01-12-2008, 08:00 PM   #13
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Hardtop for 4grand jesus christ.

I would have bough 3 at that price. Its sad that the old lady didnt know the value of it, but thats how it crumbles, she should have got a NRMA valuation or something. Cant really blame the bloke for buying it, im guessing 99% of people of this forum would have fallen over themselves to get that car for that price.

I guess if there is any upshot at least the old hardtop will be looked after not left to rust in a shed by a strangly sentimental widow.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Old 01-12-2008, 08:03 PM   #14
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

ok which joker bumped this, its from 2006.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Old 01-12-2008, 08:07 PM   #15
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

We need to dig up GT threads from the ninety's, the prices would be startling.
Closed Thread