Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #1
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Default Is more bad weather on the way?

The weeks before the recent Queensland floods our property experienced a massive run of ants. My neighbour also had ants, pointed to his mango tree having an extraordinary large number of fruit and his magnolia having flowered beyond belief. He's an old cane farmer and said it was a sign of significant rain coming. Sure enough it rained.

Today I noticed the ants back, but in numbers that surpass those from weeks ago.

Is there anything to these events or just coincidence?

cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Default Re: Is more bad weather on the way?

All I can say is nature knows.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2013, 12:53 AM   #3
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Popular reference of the week...
On that same night I will pass through Egypt and strike down every firstborn — both men and animals —and I will bring judgment on all the gods of Egypt. I am Nature
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2013, 01:10 AM   #4
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive...D0405B808CF1D3

Yes ants do
Old 02-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #5
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

yeah nature certainly knows

id get prepared just in case there is something 100% to it
whats the worst that can happen
u are ready and nothing happens or u are ready and crap happens

but lets hope the ants are wrong
i think QLD has had enough water over the last few years
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i`m a bit sceptical of the ants thing, maybe there was a sexy lady ant in a bikini up in the tree, maybe ants like mango`s, coincidence ?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've heard that about ants, too, here in the US. I'm hoping this time the ants are wrong though. Let us know!
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had ants in my house before the recent bad weather, but I'm not noticing any ants right now.

I'll say ants can be a sign of bad weather but not always. I've seen ants in buildings many other times over the years and it didn't lead to any rain.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #9
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Ants do know when it is going to rain
The ants see the humans looking at them and saying "It must be going to rain ,with all these ants inside".
The ants then say " the humans are telling us it's going to rain. LETS ALL GO INSIDE THE HOUSE NOW, OUT OF THE RAIN".
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #10
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Been plenty of ants in our place lately too.
And as with before the last lot of floods, there are a lot of black cockatoos suddenly hanging around town.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2013, 10:44 PM   #11
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Well I think all the damage is done , so now is fine if its going to be a double whammy...
Old 03-02-2013, 01:00 AM   #12
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This reminds me of the Australian movie, Bait.

Before the tsunami wipes out the Gold Coast, a plague of birds is shown flying inland.

Humans should heed bizarre animal activity, especially if they are near the coast.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:18 AM   #13
AGS302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe ants have more reliable weatherman than us humans.
2009 FPV GS 302 #250/250
ZF And Leather
*Herrod Airbox *X-Force 2.5" Cat Back
Custom tuned by Ben at Auspeed Tuning Mackay to 270.5rwkw.
AGS302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-02-2013, 11:36 PM   #14
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Probably bc humans tend to over-analyze and look for scientific proof while ants and other animals just rely on their instincts.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2013, 01:06 AM   #15
69XWGT

I do property maintenance for a living and about 2 weeks before the big wet in 2010 they were climbing higher than i have ever seen them.
Even in 2011 they were moving towards higher ground but not as high as the year before.

This year just before X tropical cyclone Oswald made its way down the coast they were climbing the buildings again.

When you live in the ground and a rain drop is bigger than you. You'd have to have some sort of an idea when it's going to start raining
69XWGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #16
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Our old place had heaps of ants. Our new place it 8mths old and 2 days after we moved in there was a few ant trails outside and on the neighbours house aswell. Never seen so many to be honest.
Old 18-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #17
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heard the weather warnings for QLD today? Maybe this is the next weather event.
Old 19-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #18
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

We have probably had 100mm since it started raining Sunday arvo. Fortunately I see the rain has moved out to sea this morning.
The ground is still sodden from the 500mm we got a few weeks ago. Full tanks of water though.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #19
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

http://www.news.com.au/national-news...-1226590179398
Wasn't Mr Flannery the one who said our Dams would never be full again ?
Old 04-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #20
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Flannery has made many claims and I'd be interested in knowing which if any of his claims have remotely come true. I read today he's babbling on about the "climate" being on steroids???

But getting back to the OP, the ants are still going as crazy as before, and Brisbane has received another bucketing of rain with a new low pressure system (cyclone) developing off Mackay. Maybe Flannery needs to study my ants, they seem more informed than he.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #21
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ah yes, Dr Flannery PhD. Doctorate in the history of kangaroos......

He is complaining we are not doing anything about his ever changing climate change theory that he pushes from his government appointment at the Australian Climate Commission.

I will be doing something about it on September 14......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #22
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

TC Sanda officially named yesterday currently Cat2 and +1000km's from mainland. In a word she is HUGE, cloud cover would completely cover most of NSW and Vic. Considering much of the SEQ land is already saturated (there's a word which Flannery might want to look up) Sandra making landfall would be real real real bad...
Old 09-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #23
Thornie
Off smelting

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
TC Sanda officially named yesterday currently Cat2 and +1000km's from mainland. In a word she is HUGE, cloud cover would completely cover most of NSW and Vic. Considering much of the SEQ land is already saturated (there's a word which Flannery might want to look up) Sandra making landfall would be real real real bad...
I'm pretty sure it's rained here every day since the start of febuary gladstone airports reported 1057mm to date but we've had a bit more than that out here i believe.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #24
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
no he didn't say that at all

but repetitive misquoting becomes 'fact' after a while it seems

One of the main Tim Flannery's haters, Alan Jones, did actually suggest on radio:

1 making major Australian rivers run inland instead of to the sea

2. making the Pacific Highway run one way North one day then one way South the next to reduce the road toll (head ons)

so little thought in both those sugestions but his audience, as usual, lapped it up

Last edited by xxx000; 09-03-2013 at 02:37 PM.
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-03-2013, 05:27 PM   #25
Batman105E

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus880 View Post
no he didn't say that at all

but repetitive misquoting becomes 'fact' after a while it seems

One of the main Tim Flannery's haters, Alan Jones, did actually suggest on radio:

1 making major Australian rivers run inland instead of to the sea

2. making the Pacific Highway run one way North one day then one way South the next to reduce the road toll (head ons)

so little thought in both those sugestions but his audience, as usual, lapped it up
Here is what Flannery said...

"We’re already seeing the initial impacts and they include a decline in the winter rainfall zone across southern Australia, which is clearly an impact of climate change, but also a decrease in run-off. Although we’re getting say a 20 per cent decrease in rainfall in some areas of Australia, that’s translating to a 60 per cent decrease in the run-off into the dams and rivers. That’s because the soil is warmer because of global warming and the plants are under more stress and therefore using more moisture. So even the rain that falls isn’t actually going to fill our dams and our river systems"

Rewrite history any way you like but the quote says it all - the rain that falls isn't going to fill our dams and rivers.

Now spin it so that he didn't say it...
Batman105E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2013, 05:32 PM   #26
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://indifferencegivesyouafright.w...er-fill-again/

Quote:
Tim Flannery’s comments on water shortages in Perth have been supported in The Australian.

Due to his high profile, Climate Change Commissioner Tim Flannery is a favoured target of Climate Denialists. In this post I will compare comments made by Flannery against the intentionally distorted versions of his comments put forward by the denialist commentariat.

First, Flannery did not say that Australian dams will never fill again. Andrew Bolt, misrepresenting Flannery, draws attention to a Feb 2007 Landline interview with Flannery in which Flannery said:

even the rain that falls isn’t actually going to fill our dams and our river systems

Denialists like Bolt claim that Flannery meant by this that our dams will never fill again. However, what Flannery meant was that the rainfall and storage data at the time indicated a 60% fall in run-off going into dams due to hotter soils and greater rainfall take-up by drought-stressed vegetation in accordance with IPCC modelling. He did not say that the dams would never fill again. He was pointing to a long-term outcome of normalized water shortage based on current data and climate trends.

Flannery’s quote in context is:

We’re already seeing the initial impacts and they include a decline in the winter rainfall zone across southern Australia, which is clearly an impact of climate change, but also a decrease in run-off. Although we’re getting say a 20 per cent decrease in rainfall in some areas of Australia, that’s translating to a 60 per cent decrease in the run-off into the dams and rivers. That’s because the soil is warmer because of global warming and the plants are under more stress and therefore using more moisture. So even the rain that falls isn’t actually going to fill our dams and our river systems

Bolt knows, but pretends not to know, that Flannery was applying IPCC modelling and projections to (then) present circumstances in relation to reduced rainfall and that Flannery’s statement are in accordance with those. Bolt also knows that IPCC projections include intensified (i.e. more severe) but rarer flooding events, which of course would fill the dams.
Old 09-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #27
Batman105E

Quote:
That crap was predictable and changes nothing - Flannery said that due to glowball worming, reduced rainfall would mean that rivers and dams would not fill.

He was wrong. End. Of. Story.

You just look as foolish as him for tryng to support his ridiculous scare campaigns..
Old 09-03-2013, 05:42 PM   #28
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was originally 'on the fence' re climate change however from what I have heard and read since I take the advice of the experts with relevant qualifications over radio broadcasters, their pollie mates and the ongoing belittling comments they seem to spew.

Hence I'm now siding with the majority of scientists who support the climate change concept.

The deniers like Jones et al seem to have their own weird theories and ideas of how to fix problems: like the one way Pacific Highway

Plus any reasonable debate or discussion on climate change which does occur is dismissed with a wave of the hand by these people as a 'left wing conspiracy'

Last edited by xxx000; 09-03-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #29
Batman105E

Quote:
I was originally 'on the fence' re climate change however from what I have heard and read since I take the advice of the experts with relevant qualifications over radio broadcasters, their pollie mates and the ongoing belittling comments they seem to spew.

Hence I'm now siding with the majority of scientists who support the climate change concept.

The deniers like Jones et al seem to have their own weird theories and ideas of how to fix problems: like the one way Pacific Highway

Plus any reasonable debate or discussion on climate change which does occur is dismissed with a wave of the hand by these people as a 'left wing conspiracy'
If you consider that Flannery is sufficiently qualified to spruke on climate change then there is no hope for you.

Perhaps you might wish have a look at Jo Nova's website for another view...

Jo Nova for another perspective

It is worthwhile remembering that science is not determined by consensus, but rather by emperical data and observation. Computer models that make predictions which aren't supported by emperical evidence and observation, but instead driven by political motive do not constitute science.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #30
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The missed bit of the quote continues:

"So even the rain that falls isn't actually going to fill our dams and our river systems, and that's a real worry for the people in the bush. If that trend continues then I think we're going to have serious problems, particularly for irrigation."

Andrew Bolt initially put the spin on this to suggest he was saying that dams would never fill again. The original message was that the data at the time indicated that if the trend continued, then over the long term there would be a significant reduction in water reaching storages. This comment was based on his interpretation of the 3rd IPCC Assessment models and predictions at the time.

If you cast your mind back to the context you will remember there had been a long period of severe protracted drought, with an El Nino cycle beginning in 2002-03. The Murray-Darling Basin was hit hard.

Flannery is not a recognised expert in climate science (his role is in public policy), and because of this he cannot critique the finer nuances of the highly technical science like others in the field are able to do. We're not climate scientists either so our understanding on this important issue depends on what we read. So it really matters where we get our information from.

The best place is the scientific literature itself, in recognised journals, where all the battles for scientific understanding are fought, won or lost, not in the public domain.

Whatever you think about Flannery himself, I think what lies behind the targeting of him is the belief that if he can be discredited, then so can the science describing a changing climate. This approach means we can happily continue in our safe zone and ignore the collossal weight of evidence. Flannery did not produce the science himself, he was trying to communicate it, as flawed as he may be.

And, unfortunately, scientific phenomena cannot be voted away.

I'm sick of reading misrepresented material about this stuff, and loaded comments from the likes of Andrew Bolt being given undue credibility. He is not a scientist in the field either. In fact he is not a scientist at all. I love science because it is a rational, empirical process that is blessedly free of the hyped up emotion and paranoia that we see so much of all around us.

Last edited by chamb0; 09-03-2013 at 06:33 PM.
chamb0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: