Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-03-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
zilo
BANNED

Default Definitely been lucky recently

Went to adelaide for the Clipsal V8 race and on the way up I belted the accelerator to the floor in the wifes Merc after sitting behind a truck for 30 plus k's, road works blah blah...

Overtook the big semi truck and 8 slow cars in front of it then wham...undercover cop car behind me..,.

146km/h in a 100 zone in Victoria....that's what was on the display on his radar gun...I checked by walking over to the car ( I reckon I went a tad over that speed..)

To cut along story short he let me off with a warning...and a 20km over the limit ticket....cheap...

He said he realized I was committed when I pulled out but so was he, right behind me...but he couldn't let me off without something...

Now...I feel lucky...no impoundment, no licence loss for 12 months....

No worries....not all Vic cops are revenue junkies....definitely slowed me down, (so mission accomplished for law enforcement.)

zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
block58
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Definitely been lucky recently

You should have overtaken at 100. That's the only safe way.
Old 15-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #3
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by block58 View Post
You should have overtaken at 100. That's the only safe way.
I had a white commodore wagon with lots of radio aerials on my back the whole time, tailgating too....
This user likes this post:
Old 15-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

This thread is going to end well .... don't know if post number 2 was sarcasm or not though. Go sarcasm at this stage.

Will see how lucky things go

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

OP didnt perish making this death defying maneuver, thats a miracle in it self.... /sarcasm meter off...
Old 15-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
tweeked
N/A all the way

Love see examples of a good old style copper. Kudos to him.

You were a bit naughty and got a fair penalty.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
fordman302

I figure the shortest amount of time on the wrong side of the road whilst using some intelligence is the best way to go, good to see that the cop had a clue
fordman302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #8
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm surprised he wiped that much off. I would have thought 30kmh over would be a best case scenario with that speed.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

A little bit of discretion by the copper goes a long way, its good policing.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Common sense prevailed. A rarity these days.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #11
bangm001
Mopar! But Own F6's..

Yeah common sense, but why post this on a public forum. He may get into some deep for letting you off and you are posting it to the world.
Old 16-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #12
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
Yeah common sense, but why post this on a public forum. He may get into some deep for letting you off and you are posting it to the world.
Yeah I'm sure he'll be the only 20kays over speeding fine in all of Victoria.

Anyway mate good to see a bit of common sense by both the officer and you not being a smarty pants, once you were pulled up. The worst thing you can do once being done is argue about the speed, as that just puts the copper straight on the offensive.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #13
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got pulled into one of those random breath test stations at West End a few weeks ago. It was one of those new ones that was debated here where they were going to check your license,rego and vehicle. My rego label has come a drift. One officer was adamant a $80 fine was needed while the other went about doing a check and after a minute or so sent me on my way. Common sense does prevail, attitude is probably the biggest thing between fine or no fine.
Mercury 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2013, 11:03 AM   #14
The Monty
Just slidin'

Your such a liar.

ZOMG, HOONING LEGISLATION, EVERYONES CARS WILL BE CRUSHED FOR 1Km/H OVER!!! OVERZEALOUS REVENUE RAISERS! ZOMG THEY WILL CRUSH MY CAR, POLICE WILL FINE YOU FOR ANYTHING!!!ARRGGGGHGHHHH SCAARREEE MONGGERRRINNGGGG!!!!!

But on a serious note, that is why police have discretion. Im assuming when you were asked what speed you were doing, you were honest about it, and explained to him what happened? You probably didnt go ahead and give him lip, and a load of bulldust, followed by "you should be out there catching real criminals, etc"? Its amazing how fairly people get treated, when they treat others fair themselves.
Old 16-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #15
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty View Post
But on a serious note, that is why police have discretion. Im assuming when you were asked what speed you were doing, you were honest about it, and explained to him what happened? You probably didnt go ahead and give him lip, and a load of bulldust, followed by "you should be out there catching real criminals, etc"? Its amazing how fairly people get treated, when they treat others fair themselves.
Could not agree more... but even with that, there is some "however" cases... especially when insurance is involved...
Old 16-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #16
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangm001 View Post
HWP do have discretion as to what they do. In every single TIN I have received where I got a lower fine bracket, the actual speed and limit has been written on it which obviously doesnt match the fine and points.

Basis for this is if you contest, you'll find the penalty you will receive when you lose will be based on actual speed.
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #17
cosworthfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
A little bit of discretion by the copper goes a long way, its good policing.
Yep. Kudos to the cop.

OP did the wrong thing, but the situation he found himself in once he pulled out contributed to what he had to do to stay safe. I've been in that situation a couple of times, and it's not a good place to be.

Cheers
Jamie
cosworthfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2013, 02:23 PM   #18
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Let's be fair here, the OP over took Semi, and 8 cars in front of it. He did it because he obviously
felt that it was safe to do so, no blind corners or on coming traffic. What is dangerous in that situation
is the speed differential and someone less observant pulling out in front of him, those are two thinss beyond
the OP's control but what is not beyond the OP's control is to avoid getting in that situation in the first place.

The adage that no one automatically dies because of l speeding and overtaking going on on our roads
flies in the face of good common sense, increasing risks opens the door to other potential factors
creating a series of events which leads to tragedy, whilst speeding and aggressive overtaking by
itself does not result in disaster , the addition of other unforeseen factors can and will.
The whole thought process behind administration controls is to break the chain of events before
it has a chance to become reality, that's why perceived unsafe events like speeding are regulated.

I don't mean to sound like sergeant safety here, just an explanation of how a chain of events can be stopped
by seemingly unrelated regulations and hazard control that often make no sense on perfectly good roads.

I'm glad that the police made an intelligent interpretation of the situation and were able to give reasons for it,
this is the way good policing should be administered, delivering a strong but fair safety message on road sense and judgement.

Last edited by jpd80; 16-03-2013 at 02:32 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2013, 03:23 PM   #19
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Not to put another spin on it as IMO the officer applied some common sense.
Now if you pulled out to overtake and the officer set of in tow, did he have to let you off with something cheaper purely because he followed you to issue you a fine by taking the same risk? Now if the officer stayed back and by chance caught up later to issue a ticket to the OP would he have gotten off lighter? I dunno how it would have faired if he tried to issue the higher fine after he committed to the risky move aswell.
Anyway some common sense has prevailed.
Old 16-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #20
robbyj
Rob

I always speed up when overtaking, and i always think "wouldn't it suck if there was a copper just over there"

But to me its safer to overtake quickly then to hang out on the wrong side of the road for a minute.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #21
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyj View Post
I always speed up when overtaking, and i always think "wouldn't it suck if there was a copper just over there"

But to me its safer to overtake quickly then to hang out on the wrong side of the road for a minute.
As one of many drivers who has sped up to over take, only to pull back in as a patrol car approaches with flashing lights,
I can tell you it sucks big time. The Tuurd in front of me saw me coming , sped up and held me in the wrong lane,
forcing me to go much faster than I normally would... coppers didn't buy any of it..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #22
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Now if you pulled out to overtake and the officer set of in tow, did he have to let you off with something cheaper purely because he followed you to issue you a fine by taking the same risk? Now if the officer stayed back and by chance caught up later to issue a ticket to the OP would he have gotten off lighter? I dunno how it would have faired if he tried to issue the higher fine after he committed to the risky move aswell.

Yep, you have pictured it exactly as it happened..
I pulled out with him just a few car lengths behind me, at that point i decided I had to commit to overtake else risk him braking hard behind me.

I mentioned that to him and the two police in the car agreed.

My point in posting this was just to praise the Vic police in their common sense enforcement rather than all the criticism they are getting recently.

(not to make any excuses about my being caught)
Old 16-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #23
Rusty62
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyj View Post

In north-west NSW, the coppers make a habit of using radar at the end of some long straights that are frequented by semis and b-doubles. I know of 2 people done for more than 40ks over with loss of licence in both cases. they had been stuck behind for miles and got sick of slowing down for the hills and sitting behind on the shorter straights and windy bits so when they finally got the right opportunity, they went for it and so did their licenses.
2011 FG GT-P #138 BLOWN 5.0, Auto, Vanish
2003 BA G220 Lighting Strike/Black leather
2007 BF Mk2 Fairmont Ghia 4.0, ZF in Ego/Cream Leather
1989 Daihatsu Rocky 4x4 - for the bush
2015 Nissan Patrol - for the long drive to the bush
2014 BMW R1200GS
2009 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter
plus the boat and trailer...fark that’s 9 regos and insurances each year
Rusty62 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #24
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't consider overtaking speeding,,if done safely. clear vision and clear road in front of you. and its just too overtake.. Truckies cause so much frustration...My brother inlaw got done for speeding..he overtook a white holden ute that was travelling under the speed limit. Guess what ? it was an unmarked cop car and he got done for 20ks over..Too me, thats entrapment..legal here, but not in America..
Old 16-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #25
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
i know someone who put his foot down too hard in his coupe heading to a race meeting
the copper who was stationary dropped his speed down from 40+ over to just within the keep the licence zone just because he was either having a good day or my mate was polite to them

coppers are pretty cool, if you show them respect - but if you don't . . . .
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #26
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Road needs more speed cameras. You know, for Road Safety.
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #27
peterljohnson55

A truck and eight cars inf front of it. I cant believe you didnt pull out of the manouvre once you realised there were 8 cars in front. But if you had indeed been trailing for 30kms then you would have known that anyway.

IMHO the only reason you are posting this is because you want to brag about a your total ****.

It's just another example of a totally irresponsible motorist putting other people's lives at risk.
Get off the road, hoon, or let me know when you are on it and I will get off it.
-------- Preventative Maintenance Policy --------
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2013, 11:25 AM   #28
Benjamin Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterljohnson55 View Post
A truck and eight cars inf front of it. I cant believe you didnt pull out of the manouvre once you realised there were 8 cars in front. But if you had indeed been trailing for 30kms then you would have known that anyway.

IMHO the only reason you are posting this is because you want to brag about a your total ****.

It's just another example of a totally irresponsible motorist putting other people's lives at risk.
Get off the road, hoon, or let me know when you are on it and I will get off it.
I disagree if someoneis going slow enough to hold up 8 cars and a truck, they should be off the road!
Benjamin Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2013, 11:36 AM   #29
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I got 2 slow down signals from cops when I was going a tad over... both double demerit periods.

They are not all bad, perhaps if I was going very fast they may have pulled me up but I think I was only around 10km over both times....

Same situation for one of them as above, stuck behind a row of trucks then saw a gap in the overtaking lane and gunned it overtake as quick as possible.

Been also pulled over several times for RBT.. my extra dark tint was never mentioned and on one occasion I thought my license was in my bag in the boot but it turns out I left it at home. (When he requested to see my license I just replied it was in the back, to which he said don't worry and let me go).

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #30
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

lol at pj55
let me know when youre off the road
with an attitude like that you sound like one of those drivers that does 80kms in the 100km zone that banks up traffic behind them creating more chance for accident to happen.
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: