Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 20-08-2005, 10:38 AM   #1
rossjd
Starter Motor

Default EA flat spot

Me again,
Now I have the Fairmont back on the road for the first time in 2 years after a prang, I'm having a couple of teething proplems.
The main one is it seems to have an intermittant flat spot on accelleration. Just as you start to push the throttle the motor hesitates. Not all the time though. It has a 3.9 MPI motor.
While I had it apart I put a new head and a Tickford cam in it and threw the fan away and put thermos on it. Wow, the thermos make a differance.
Could this flat spot be something like the throttle body sensor? Maybe from sitting for 2 1/2 years?
Cheers,
Ross.

rossjd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2005, 11:56 AM   #2
Psycho Chicken
Banned

I'd be trying the TPS first, however it could be a heap of things.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2005, 03:30 PM   #3
CruizinEB
Banned

My eb2 had a flatspot for a wile but now its gone, because i replaced the fuel filter and now its fine
CruizinEB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2005, 04:46 PM   #4
EA_Bender
Hmmm Gold!!!

Ive got the exact same thing.... been happening since i did my mpfi conversion so it could be a plethora of things. if i accel slowly its fine but if u stick your foot into it, it hesitates, then goes, i am suspecting the TPS tho...
1990 EA Series 2 Fairmont, Low Springs and shocks, 17 x 7 Advanti Flash Mags running on Falken rubber :, EL XR8 Sway Bars, NGK Iridium Plugs, New Trip Comp, Pacemaker 4480, 2.5 system 4L ED engine with surecam

Now Sporting - OED666's 202+ RWHP engine!! :dj: fully
EA_Bender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2005, 06:04 PM   #5
rossjd
Starter Motor

OK,
Had a good look this afternoon and it seems the vacume sensor attached to the thermostat housing has a crack in it from the accident. It has 2 rubber lines coming off it. One line has engine vacume. I'm not sure what this sensor does but until I can get a new one I've just joined the 2 hoses together and guess what? The flat spot has gone. Can anyone tell me if I am going to damage anything by bypassing this sensor????
Cheers,
Ross.
Old 20-08-2005, 06:10 PM   #6
EA_Bender
Hmmm Gold!!!

hmm, i always thought that those vacuum lines were for if it got to hot it did something to the aircon, ill have to have a play tomorrow and see if it fixes it.
1990 EA Series 2 Fairmont, Low Springs and shocks, 17 x 7 Advanti Flash Mags running on Falken rubber :, EL XR8 Sway Bars, NGK Iridium Plugs, New Trip Comp, Pacemaker 4480, 2.5 system 4L ED engine with surecam

Old 20-08-2005, 07:53 PM   #7
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Those hoses are for aircon, won't make a differance.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2005, 07:58 PM   #8
EA_Bender
Hmmm Gold!!!

yeah i thought as much, but when u have no idea when else is causing it, its better than nothing and worth a go

Old 20-08-2005, 09:15 PM   #9
rossjd
Starter Motor

I figured they were for the air con (from the workshop manual) but with a crack in the fitting you could hear it sucking air. When I connected the hoses together the engine idle dropped, and the flat spot seems to be gone. Maybe the vacuum line leak was enough to upset something. I'll see how it goes.
Cheers,
Ross.