Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 03-02-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
slickef
Apprentice Fridgey

Default SRS Air Bags

does anyone know if you can pull the steering wheels/air bags off without it sending a fault code to the car. i have been having the problem with it starting and having to hit the steering wheel, finally pin pointed it to the wiring in the air bag and i just wanna pull it off to see if the problem stops. if anyone could help it would be muchly appreciated
cheers :

96 EF Falcon Futura, Powered by Microtech, 2222549 Crow Cam, Metal Gasket, Port and Polish, Oversized Forged Valves, EF Fairmont Dash, K&N Highflow Filter, Pacemaker Competition Extractors, 2 1/2 Mandrel Bent Exhaust, High Flow Cat, Converter Shop 3500 stall, Shift Kit, 4.11 Diff Ratio, Mini Spool

Best ET 14.654 @ 88.270Mph at Benaraby Raceway, Gladstone Queensland
slickef is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 03:51 PM   #2
MightyXR6Turbo
Boooostn'

As long as you have the ignition turned off, and they also recommend disconnecting the battery to prevent a short setting it off you will be fine. I had the airbag off my EF a few times, just disconnect the battery and go for it. Its very easy to remove, only two 10mm bolts either side of the steering wheel iirc.

1979 XD Fairmont Ghia - Silver, 302C V8, Full velour interior, slowly building her up to be a tough cruiser!

2002 Nissan Patrol ST - Desert Gold, 4.8L DOHC 6cyl petrol (Soon to be reequipped with a 5.7L LS1 V8), 5speed auto, lifted, locked, 33's, nature destruction vehicle!
MightyXR6Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 04:26 PM   #3
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How did you conclude it was the airbag wiring stopping it from starting? It seems a long shot to me that that would happen. Are you sure its not the BEM and you thumping the steering wheel isn't making the BEM work?

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 04:48 PM   #4
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont1998
Are you sure its not the BEM and you thumping the steering wheel isn't making the BEM work?
Yeah or the keybarrel playing up.
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #5
efgiar
rofl copter

yeah sounds like smartlock dont bother with the airbag

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 10:26 PM   #6
nlbxr6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont1998
How did you conclude it was the airbag wiring stopping it from starting? It seems a long shot to me that that would happen. Are you sure its not the BEM and you thumping the steering wheel isn't making the BEM work?
Mine does the same thing its the BEM like fairmont said
Old 03-02-2007, 11:41 PM   #7
slickef
Apprentice Fridgey

i have thought of this as the problem, cause i have hit the dash where the BEM is, i have hit the ingnition, i have hit everywhere else, then when i hit on the horn and surrounding areas its the only place thats starts the easiest. just trying to eliminate the possibilities seeing as no one has actually come up with an actual fix for this problem
96 EF Falcon Futura, Powered by Microtech, 2222549 Crow Cam, Metal Gasket, Port and Polish, Oversized Forged Valves, EF Fairmont Dash, K&N Highflow Filter, Pacemaker Competition Extractors, 2 1/2 Mandrel Bent Exhaust, High Flow Cat, Converter Shop 3500 stall, Shift Kit, 4.11 Diff Ratio, Mini Spool

Best ET 14.654 @ 88.270Mph at Benaraby Raceway, Gladstone Queensland
slickef is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post