Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 19-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
EA Bogan

Default Manual VS Auto Fords

manual falcons seem to be like hens teeth these days, i havent seen any for absolutely ages..probably cause falcons trong torque is much more suited to an autos tall gears. Im guessing you could pull fat burnouts with a manual falcon tough, short 1st + 300+ NM = chaos..what would actually be faster in a straight line tough? I hear the new BF Typhoon is faster in auto mode cause it changes gears much more efficiently.

EA Bogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 09:06 PM   #2
Dezza
Parts bin special

The manual E-series kill the equivalent auto in a straight line. My EA started off as a 4 speed auto and was quite a slug, but since converting to manual, the acceleration surprises a lot of people.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2007, 09:10 PM   #3
EA Bogan

you would have to do some pretty brutal shiting to get up to speed tough im guessing..also it would probably cost a shitload to convert to manual, especialy for the labour involved..
Old 19-09-2007, 09:16 PM   #4
Dezza
Parts bin special

Not if a heap of friends help with the conversion. My entire conversion only cost about $600 all up.

And because it has better gear ratios (particularly doesn't have the auto's tall first gear), it doesn't take much to be quicker. I'm usually pretty gentle with the gear lever. I could go quicker through the gears but I don't like to force it.

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
Old 19-09-2007, 09:24 PM   #5
1bad51

ditch the 4 speed put in a c4 and a good stall and manual computer and watch it goooo
Old 19-09-2007, 10:21 PM   #6
EA Bogan

i have been tempted a few times to modify my car but have decided against it each time..its only a 1989 CFI so what is the point? I was used to driving my parents Mercedes and Audi, and i want something top-of-the-range, either a nice Fairmont Ghia or an LTD..A Twinturbo LTD 6 cyld would be awesome with about 300 kw, i read some article in an old ford performance mag about some company called AIT that did a 290kw twinturbo conversion for EA falcons back in like 1991..i dont think i would want a manual, just too much hassle to drive..
Old 20-09-2007, 12:05 AM   #7
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA Bogan
i have been tempted a few times to modify my car but have decided against it each time..its only a 1989 CFI so what is the point? I was used to driving my parents Mercedes and Audi, and i want something top-of-the-range, either a nice Fairmont Ghia or an LTD..A Twinturbo LTD 6 cyld would be awesome with about 300 kw, i read some article in an old ford performance mag about some company called AIT that did a 290kw twinturbo conversion for EA falcons back in like 1991..i dont think i would want a manual, just too much hassle to drive..
Your parents have a Benz and an Audi and they got you a shitty EA CFI? Poor bugger... I had the same, but i was a poor student at the time.
290kw in an EA will be off tap either way.
It would cost a fortune, EPA, Toughened Diff, Gearbox, tailshaft, Plus engineering and insurance would send nearly anyone broke.
Then there is the Question, Why to an EA? :p

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007, 09:22 AM   #8
Zeds Dad
92 NC Fairlane Ghia 5.0L

what about the electronic shift kit in the e series or other series. I made one and installed it and it hammers through the gears now. It would definatly change gears quicker than a manual. Therefore probably be quicker except for the initial launch???

Thants my thought, may be wrong.
Old 20-09-2007, 11:38 AM   #9
SeZZa
Sucker For Punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_silver_ghia
Not if a heap of friends help with the conversion. My entire conversion only cost about $600 all up.
Is that all? I'll be having a word or two with you in about a years time when I convert mine!
SeZZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007, 12:11 PM   #10
JD86
DELANY

manual is way faster, i have had an auto and manual eb's

manual was way better, the eb was turbo'd though haha

manual is way more fun ayway
Old 20-09-2007, 01:02 PM   #11
Gohan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

manuals have lower gear ratio thats with all manual box's including the other side i wouldint mind changing mine to manual due to the slusher slipping like a mother!
Old 20-09-2007, 01:37 PM   #12
fordintheblood

People swear by the manual, it be an different driving experince no doubt.

Its all about the money, there fair bit difference in price from a manual e-series to a auto e-series or the money to put manual into one.

I dont mine my e-series auto with shift kit. :
fordintheblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2007, 04:32 PM   #13
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeZZa
Is that all? I'll be having a word or two with you in about a years time when I convert mine!
Yeah, it was a little bit over $600 but that's the rounded off value. Most of the credit for my T5 conversion has to go to efgiar though since he did most of the work! The main reason for my T5 conversion wasn't to increase performance though. I just find autos boring, and wanted to change gears again. The performance boost is just an extra benefit!

Old 21-09-2007, 10:58 PM   #14
enzosRus
Starter Motor

I have a manual el xr6 and ive looked at the stats and apparently its almost a second quicker 0-100 than its auto equivalent. I love it cos if it were auto, it couldnt beat a vs ss but cos its manual it can and ive tested it and it does! lol
enzosRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2007, 12:00 AM   #15
89 S-PACK

Quote:
Yeah, it was a little bit over $600 but that's the rounded off value. Most of the credit for my T5 conversion has to go to efgiar though since he did most of the work! The main reason for my T5 conversion wasn't to increase performance though. I just find autos boring, and wanted to change gears again. The performance boost is just an extra benefit!
it doesnt make it any easier when people like me have a good spare t5 in the shed. one el one that efgiar wanted. sad part is i only paid 70 for it. it needs new bearings tho... will be recoing it for myself tho. and the ea one thats in my car atm will probly be kept considering there hard to get.

02 (VX) Holden Commodore Equipe series 2 S/wagon.
Manual, Lsd, Catback, Svsi lpg.
still a nice reliable upgrade from the old magna..
89 S-PACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2007, 11:28 AM   #16
3.9from hell
hoons cause global warmin

ive owned both, and ive converted autos to manuals and heres the thing, as a manual they feel like a totaly different animal, u would swear they pick up 30kw with tha coversion and your 0-100 time drops by bout 0.3 seconds however........ over 400m there is very little difference, but manuals are deffinately more fun to drive
3.9from hell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2007, 06:40 PM   #17
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

What ever way you come about it auto's are always going to be quicker in a straight line with only a little cash even the slow BTR can be beeffed up to haul *** I know they make a stage 2 shift kit is their a stage 3 fully manulised shift kit for BTR's.

Take this into consideration if you brought a manual conversion for $1k then paid someone to do the conversion (assuming you couldn't do it yourself) would cost you about 800 then you might have to buy a new clutch maybe about 600 thats $2400...

With that money you could get your BTR rebuilt with bigger stronger components stage 2 shift kit, hard shift program 2500stally alluminum tailshaft, 3.45lsd and probally enough left to get a mild cam or something....

NC Fairlane GHIA
Series II
I6.
Mods. 2.5" cat back
Clarion HU
Soundstream speakers amp and subs
Lowered
DL LTD rims
: thats it!
For the moment... :
NC_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2007, 07:32 PM   #18
blur1
el wagon

i love driving an auto and watching the manual cars go backwards when they put their foot on the clutch pedal 3 times cutting drive forward! :
blur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2007, 08:32 PM   #19
3.9from hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_GHIA
What ever way you come about it auto's are always going to be quicker in a straight line with only a little cash even the slow BTR can be beeffed up to haul *** I know they make a stage 2 shift kit is their a stage 3 fully manulised shift kit for BTR's.

Take this into consideration if you brought a manual conversion for $1k then paid someone to do the conversion (assuming you couldn't do it yourself) would cost you about 800 then you might have to buy a new clutch maybe about 600 thats $2400...

With that money you could get your BTR rebuilt with bigger stronger components stage 2 shift kit, hard shift program 2500stally alluminum tailshaft, 3.45lsd and probally enough left to get a mild cam or something....

wat he said! manuals feel quicker, but over 400m autos the way to go in tha long run i think, ud hav to be one hell of a driver to run consistent numbers in a hot e series with a t5. launches are potluck at best and u hav to shell out big to get a clutch that wil take anything more than about 130rwkw without slipping, costing u time and frying itself. heres wot 140rwkw does to a ceramic-chrome moly clutch after a bit of drag work

Old 22-09-2007, 08:47 PM   #20
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.9from hell
wat he said! manuals feel quicker, but over 400m autos the way to go in tha long run i think, ud hav to be one hell of a driver to run consistent numbers in a hot e series with a t5. launches are potluck at best and u hav to shell out big to get a clutch that wil take anything more than about 130rwkw without slipping, costing u time and frying itself. heres wot 140rwkw does to a ceramic-chrome moly clutch after a bit of drag work

Yeah and cheaper if your not mechanicly minded but I am but still cheaper for me I work at an auto specialest shop...

NC Fairlane GHIA
Series II
I6.
Mods. 2.5" cat back
Clarion HU
Lowered
DL LTD rims
For the moment... :
Old 23-09-2007, 09:46 AM   #21
blur1
el wagon

gotta agree with the auto guys here. most fast cars at the drags use autos. i know i did 15 years ago in my full bodied lx torana, and ran 10.3 with a 2 speed powerglide.
blur1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 02:17 PM   #22
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur1
gotta agree with the auto guys here. most fast cars at the drags use autos. i know i did 15 years ago in my full bodied lx torana, and ran 10.3 with a 2 speed powerglide.
For driving enjoyment though, you simply can't beat a manual. Personally I hate just steering a car. To me, driving involves changing gears. On the road, I've found with the auto that when I wanted to overtake, there would be a delay from when I put the foot down to when it actually found the right gear. Manual I don't have this problem because I just put it back a gear or two and I'm set. It's each to their own really.

Old 23-09-2007, 03:36 PM   #23
EFendedXG

Quote:
For driving enjoyment though, you simply can't beat a manual. Personally I hate just steering a car. To me, driving involves changing gears. On the road, I've found with the auto that when I wanted to overtake, there would be a delay from when I put the foot down to when it actually found the right gear. Manual I don't have this problem because I just put it back a gear or two and I'm set. It's each to their own really.
I just converted my EF to a Full Manual Auto and i think it fantastic! I had the gear ratio's changed so i had better pick up and i swear by it! If you do the research a BTR Auto can take more than a T5 in power too Stick a stally in it and a shift kit and a big oil cooler and you will never have to touch it again!!
Old 23-09-2007, 04:17 PM   #24
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

So they make a stage 3 shift kit for BTR's sweet...

NC Fairlane GHIA
Series II
I6.
Mods. 2.5" cat back
Clarion HU
Lowered
DL LTD rims
For the moment... :
Old 23-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #25
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgme
I just converted my EF to a Full Manual Auto and i think it fantastic! I had the gear ratio's changed so i had better pick up and i swear by it! If you do the research a BTR Auto can take more than a T5 in power too Stick a stally in it and a shift kit and a big oil cooler and you will never have to touch it again!!
Yeah, well you're the expert on them, Gavin

Personally I like my T5 though. I just grew up driving manuals, so it doesn't worry me that I could have had more performance by rebuilding and modding my old piece of crap auto. I just want to change gears. I was finding my auto so boring, I actually enjoyed getting behind the wheel of Dad's gutless 89' Rodeo non-turbo diesel, just because it had a 5 speed!

Old 23-09-2007, 04:45 PM   #26
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

Manual with out a doubt??? Have you Auto guys evan driven one of these e-series in manual?? they are so nice to drive they really really move for a stock falcon and you can get heaps better fuel economy out of them!!!

I used to own a turbo EB that ran 200rwkw that had a T5 and a pbr XR6 clutch in it, it never slipped never gave any trouble and belive it is still in it today!! The most fun car ive driven!!

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

-[BLKPHN] (VIC) PLATES FOR SALE $495.00-
BLKPHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 05:39 PM   #27
3.9from hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORSM54
Manual with out a doubt??? Have you Auto guys evan driven one of these e-series in manual?? they are so nice to drive they really really move for a stock falcon and you can get heaps better fuel economy out of them!!!

I used to own a turbo EB that ran 200rwkw that had a T5 and a pbr XR6 clutch in it, it never slipped never gave any trouble and belive it is still in it today!! The most fun car ive driven!!

better fuel ecconomy? BS! t5s overdrive gear is shorter than BTRs and stock diff ratios shorter too, and yes ive owned several manual falcons and like i said they FEEL like they go harder but 400m times dont lie
Old 23-09-2007, 05:56 PM   #28
EFendedXG

this is becoming a orsome debate! Im lovin it!
Old 23-09-2007, 08:15 PM   #29
bentles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.9from hell
better fuel ecconomy? BS! t5s overdrive gear is shorter than BTRs and stock diff ratios shorter too, and yes ive owned several manual falcons and like i said they FEEL like they go harder but 400m times dont lie
i half agree with what you have said and half disagree.

t5 > btr in 1/4 mile driving experience and fuel economy.

the part i do agree with is 1/4 times dont lie. however they dont tell the full story either. plenty of people have dropped up to 1 full second in their 1/4 times by converting to t5 and nothing else. there are also people who have lost time but guess what? im willing to bet they cant drive worth or dont have the tyres to handle the launch. my car was easily twice as fun to drive and very noticably quicker once it was converted.
bentles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 08:23 PM   #30
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Manual Falcons all the way!, i waited for a while before finiding my EL XR8 with a 5 speed, now ive never had a manual 6 in an E-series but the v8 one flys!, scares me sometimes actually lol!