Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-07-2015, 01:45 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post FORD Focus 2016 1 Engine no Ambiente..

The 2016 Ford Focus hatch and sedan range will arrive in Australia — at last — in October this year, and the company appears to be making a bold move upmarket.

Unlike the current (non-ST) Ford Focus range, available in four specification levels with three engine choices, the MY16 range will come with three specification options and just one choice of engine — a 1.5-litre EcoBoost turbo-petrol unit with class-leading figures.

The new 1.5 engine punches out 132kW at 6000rpm and 240Nm from 1600 to 5000rpm (7kW/38Nm more than the outgoing 2.0), placing it somewhere in the middle ground between most regular small cars, and more upmarket hot hatches in terms of output.

The new engine is matched to six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmissions, and consumes between 5.8 litres of 95-98 RON fuel per 100km and 6.4L/100km depending on spec.

The streamlined engine range spells the end of the outgoing line-up that comprised normally-aspirated 1.6-litre and 2.0-litre petrol units, as well as a 2.0-litre turbo-diesel (diesel versions represented just 3.0 per cent of sales). The Euro 1.0-litre three-cylinder option — a multiple International Engine of the Year award winner — will not be offered.

As part of the update, Ford has also trimmed back the spec levels. The Focus can now be had in Trend, Sport and Titanium hatch form (no more base, price-leading Ambiente), while the sedan comes as a Trend or Titanium.

As such, the price of entry grows — the cheapest version, the manual Trend hatch, costs $23,390 plus on-road costs, up $1100 over the outgoing Trend, but a significant $3100 pricier than the current base Ambiente.

This means the Focus range has a higher price of entry than almost any rival — it’s $900 more than a Volkswagen Golf 92TSI. But, given the power on tap, Ford is clearly not chasing entry-level — often meaning fleet — sales. This is perhaps in line with company strategy to focus (sorry for the pun) on margins more than outright volumes for the sake of volumes.

This move upmarket is also reflected in the level of standard features on order. All versions, regardless of spec, get upmarket features such as an eight-inch touchscreen with SYNC 2, a reverse-view camera and satellite navigation.

This is a nice counter-move the Volkswagen, which recently announced that all Golfs would get a standard App-Connect USB interface for Apple CarPlay, Android Auto and MirrorLink within a few weeks time.

All versions also get Ford’s MyKey system (not to be confused with Melbourne’s Myki public transport system), that recognises different sets of car keys that are programmed to limit things such as top speed — that’ll keep your P-plater kids in line.

The Sport versions get features such as bigger wheels and racier suspension and a better sound system with DAB+ digital radio, while Titanium versions get high-end safety gear such as low-speed autonomous brakes, perpendicular parking assist and a blind-spot monitor.

The Focus also sports a vastly improved — less button-heavy — cabin design with more upmarket fit-and-finish and extra sound-insulation. Externally, there’s a new grille/headlight design up front and a re-jigged rear end design to boot.

Under the skin, Ford has revised the suspension, particularly by making the front-end stiffer, and re-tuned the shocks. The electric-assisted power steering has been revised, as has the stability control system. We’ll have to wait for our first drive in October to assess these changes.

Most of the Focus range is sourced from Thailand — just like the Fiesta, Ranger and Everest – while the already-on-sale Focus ST update comes from Germany.

The facelifted Focus launch has been some time coming — it was revealed globally in February 2014, though it didn’t actually go on sale anywhere for some time after that.

Ford Australia will no doubt be rapt to have it. Stocks of the current version might be getting slim, and sales are down a whopping 53.8 per cent this year to 4087 units.

Read more at http://www.caradvice.com.au/365357/2...HVIfMe1GEy7.99

My comment : Ford still haven't learnt that Ford cars in Aus are over priced....$32,690 for Titanium????
Old 11-07-2015, 01:49 PM   #2
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: FORD Focus 2016 1 Engine no Ambiente..

132kw standard is impressive
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-07-2015, 01:52 PM   #3
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
132kw standard is impressive
Old 11-07-2015, 02:12 PM   #4
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Another typical thread whinging about prices from OP
4 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2015, 02:39 PM   #5
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sport looks like great value. Would like to see a sunroof as an option somewhere in the range.

Base Trend would be a great car for the vast majority of the population. Pop 25 grand on the counter and drive out in a roomy 132kw car with a host of features, even comes standard with sat nav.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #6
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Considering Focus is on the verge of being beaten out of second sales place in its sector in Europe by Octavia, it's surprising to see no acknowledgement in this new model of the issues that are probably turning people away from it. Broadly speaking I'd say the family market. It's still the same squashed little bubble and no wagon version is being offered here. Ford must be pitching for fleet and young singles sales only.

It looks like the cheapest Focus hatch here will cost more than a base Octavia wagon and the base Octavia sedan is cheaper still. Another own goal for Ford?
Old 11-07-2015, 02:42 PM   #7
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rumours in the comments section suggest power shift is gone and it's getting the same torque converter auto box as Kuga?
2 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2015, 02:44 PM   #8
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Rumours in the comments section suggest power shift is gone and it's getting the same torque converter auto box as Kuga?
I noticed that and wondered. It would give them an advantage over VAG's DSG (if it didn't affect fuel economy too much).
Old 11-07-2015, 02:50 PM   #9
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wagon is available in NZ. I think it would if been smart to launch here as it would make it a bit more revelent to family buyers. I suppose the issue is that it would probably take away Kuga buyers.
I like the VAG method of offering as many variants as possible across all their model ranges.
Old 11-07-2015, 02:53 PM   #10
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

new2ford.. careful!! or you will get a comment from DJM83..like I do!!! Ford are going to having a hard sell when comparable cars are cheaper..But, not allowed to make comment here, unless its praising Ford!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2015, 02:53 PM   #11
prydey
Rob

Quote:
correct. i believe they have gone back to a standard 6sp auto.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #12
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
new2ford.. careful!! or you will get a comment from DJM83..like I do!!! Ford are going to having a hard sell when comparable cars are cheaper..But, not allowed to make comment here, unless its praising Ford!!!!!!

what many fail to grasp, is the companies have their own data, and perhaps it tells them that the ambiente wasn't a big seller anyway.

also, they operate on profit, not some silly sales rankings that so many get so hung up on. nobody knows what their internal targets are.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2015, 03:02 PM   #13
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I think Ford have realised they cant compete on the cheap side of the scale.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2015, 03:10 PM   #14
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
I think Ford have realised they cant compete on the cheap side of the scale.
They are starting to present a pretty compelling ownership case with lots of feature and their new customer service program.

I think offering value over being cheap is the way forward. I think for some of the other new releases they still haven't nailed the value argument - Mondeo in particular, maybe Everest.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:15 PM   #15
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
I've already praised Ford prolifically over the last decade. I've still got about 270 brownie points left to trade on.

Besides, I want Ford to try to do the best thing, so my comments are in the hope that things will get better so maybe I can come back to them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
not some silly sales rankings
Those sales rankings are a very significant marketing and public perception tool though. You don't make much profit when you sell hardly anything at all.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:15 PM   #16
prydey
Rob

apple and samsung don't outsell everything else because they are the cheapest. its about making a product desirable.

if you chase sales via price, you need volume as well.
4 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2015, 03:18 PM   #17
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Those sales rankings are a very significant marketing and public perception tool though. You don't make much profit when you sell hardly anything at all.
are they really?

apart from people like us who browse forums, who knows about the sales data??

ask any non car person what the make up of the top 10 is. i bet they wouldn't have a clue.

also, if ford sell everything they bring here, at a price close to what they intended, what is the problem?? of course every manufacturer wants to sell as much as they can, but you don't just go bringing over thousands of cars and then live in hope.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:19 PM   #18
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd be glad to see Powershift gone.

It's the worst feature of my wife's Titanium and spoils the whole car in my view.

It's going to make way for a "Pony".
Old 11-07-2015, 04:01 PM   #19
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ecoboost engines have never had the powershift in the first place.

I would have thought the base model might get the 110kw 1.5 Ecoboost, which would still be competitive in the market.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2015, 04:07 PM   #20
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
I'd be glad to see Powershift gone.

It's the worst feature of my wife's Titanium and spoils the whole car in my view.

It's going to make way for a "Pony".
Yes it was a serious backwards step by ford management, and it probably cost them a lot of customers and reputation ,
had ford spent a few more dollars on testing the cars better they would have found these problems and done something better.
This is the problem when you let bean counters run the show .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2015, 04:30 PM   #21
minheim

If the powershift is gone then that would make it a car that I could recommend to my daughter if she decides to update next year or the following. Should be a good refresh and hopefully they can promote it well for the sake of the brand and dealers.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #22
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
are they really?

apart from people like us who browse forums, who knows about the sales data??
I would think most people going out to buy a car would have at least a vague idea of what's popular and what's not and form perceptions on that. It's even publicised in the mainstream press.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:29 PM   #23
Binny

Regardless of lack of an "entry" model, a manual Trend looks like great value and should be right up there in it's class for driving enjoyment as well.
$23,390 for a cracker of an engine and Sync2.
You have to spend 50k to get Sync2 on a ranger.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:57 PM   #24
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I think it's a grave error that they have scrapped the $20k DA option.

Good to hear the powershift is apparently gone ;-)

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2015, 08:52 PM   #25
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I think it's a grave error that they have scrapped the $20k DA option.

Good to hear the powershift is apparently gone ;-)
Strange how ford drop the power shift and Hyundai roll it out.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2015, 09:39 PM   #26
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

You can't beat a good old fashioned torque converter slush box.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2015, 09:48 PM   #27
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Good to see the high power 1.5 Ecoboost engine standard an the replacement of the powershift with a regular auto. The cabin has been simplified too.

But, and I have mentioned this before, yet again we are witness to Fords lack of consistency with the Focus. Both in powertrain and models. I see the diesel has also been dumped, joining the Ambiente base model. The constant chopping and changing with the Focus range is frustrating.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2015, 09:51 PM   #28
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well hopefully they'll keep the current marketing strategy then. And it's successful.

Focus with powerful motor and 6 speed torque converter auto looks appealing, it mirrors what they have done with the up-powered Kugas to general praise.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:40 PM   #29
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This could be the turning point for focus in Australia. Remove the underwhelming 1.6, 2lt is almost too big nowadays with all the engine downsizing going on. A cracking 1.5 ecoboost, new front styling which modernizes the look, torque conv auto, should get it back on some shopping lists. The only thing they may regret is the price, I guess time will tell.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 11-07-2015, 10:51 PM   #30
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83 View Post
Strange how ford drop the power shift and Hyundai roll it out.
Yes. Perhaps they have learnt from the problems Ford and VW encountered.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post