Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Travel across Melbourne

going to a conference in Skye Frankston, flying into Tulla marine, how do I get to Frankston prefer not to have a rental dont trust you Viccies esp shortly after ALF loss

Old 23-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #2
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Re: Travel across Melbourne

If company is footing the bill, cab it.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
anolade
trigger happy

fair wack from tulla to frankston dare say 1hr 1 way by car but I haven't been that side of town for while and the new bypass may make it faster
enhanced by team at Blue Power Racing Developments
Now sold off and no longer owns a ford
anolade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #4
Johnnyboy

Skybus from airport to city, then either train or bus. Or, Limo sedan service which is roughly $150ish. Or, Airport Shuttle from airport directly to Frankston is roughly $70.
Johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
Falcojimmy

Skye is its own suburb about 6 kays out of Frankston. There are a couple of bus services out of Frankston Station to get there. Easiest way is to take the red Skybus straight into Southern Cross Station, then jump on a Frankston Train. Both the bus and train run every ten minutes or so. You may have to wait up to an hour for the airport shuttle. By car it all depends on time of day. You can do tullamarine to Frankston by car in roughly an hour outside of peak (using toll roads). Peak hour you could take up to 3 hours.
Falcojimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #6
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bus to southern cross, train to Frankston, cab to Skye.
lucas2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-09-2013, 12:19 AM   #7
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did that all the time in a past life. Working in Canberra and family in Seaford, next suburb to franga. I'd just catch the airport shuttle bus. http://www.fapas.com.au/home. Then just cab it to Skye. It got old in the end and I started using limos. Enjoy the wildlife in Frankston. ;-)
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2013, 07:09 AM   #8
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Despite it not being your preferred option, the cheapest and easiest way is just to rent a buzz box.
Old 24-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #9
peaterj
Donating Member

Done that trip last saturday took just under an hour by car, that was around 8am traffic was fairly light.
peaterj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
OwnTheRoad
T Series Club AUST.

If you choose the train option ensure you have a Myki card that has credit , if you don't pay and are caught the interrogation from the fare avoidance Nazis is less than pleasant .Zero tolerance .
Old 24-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Rent a buzz box and go for a long drive. The trip via public transport will take close to a day (if there are no delays), while I'm sure Frankston is a lovely area, as a visitor can be a bit confronting taking public transport down there!

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
efirestorer

Go for a long drive in a rental buzz box ,long that is , avoid the inner city toll roads. I am a local in Melbourne and have always avoided toll sections but had to use them yesterday - hopeless sign posting , at last minute you discover you should be 6 lanes and two concrete barriers across from where you are - maybe designed that way so you use more of the tolls. Depending on time of day , can be a pleasant drive around the bay - if you can avoid the kamikaze cyclists spilling over into middle lanes .
efirestorer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #13
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Iam now thinking rentals.

Just something cheap, gotta do more online looking but any ideas of 'bangers' around the airport.

Whats the easiest way to get across I prefer not using GPS, nagging voices give me the gripes.
Old 26-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
efirestorer

Tonz , my 2 cents as to easiest route to follow ( and probably best anyway ) exit airport towards city on freeway , you will pretty soon see signs for Western Ring Road , take 2nd exit - direction Geelong or Western Freeway , at WestGate Bridge or Geelong junction keep left to cross Westgate Bridge , as soon as across bridge - from left lane take Todd Road exit and keeping left go back towards Bridge - at 1st roundabout - left towards bay ( south if you are NSEW aware ) keep following your nose and you will find yourself at Port Phillip bayside ( signs may indicate TO FERRY ) then go left along bayside road - through Elwood and Brighton it takes you into those suburbs a bit but as long as you keep going with the flow you will eventually get to Frankston with some views along the way ( and the kamikaze cyclists particularly at weekends ). Look at these directions with an appropriate map and you can't go wrong and NO TOLLS . You can also deviate from these directions to go on a faster freeway from Mordialloc - again look at a map - you will see connections to a freeway from Whyte Street , Mordialloc.
efirestorer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #15
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Suggest you are going to Sandhurst, which is where they usually hold conferences.

The drive is easy (if you choose) I just get on the freeway, head towards the city, stay in the middle lane as you go over the Bolte, go through the tunnel, stay on SE freeway and get off at Eastlink.

If you don't want to drive try http://www.fapas.com.au/home, there are other companies to, I often see airport buses out near Frankston.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #16
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Google maps is your friend:

https://maps.google.com.au/maps?sadd...=h&mra=ls&z=11

You can choose your route or even remove the use of toll roads if that is what you are after. Once you've chosen your route, print off the directions to make life easier for you on the drive.

Personally, if you want easy and you are not footing the bill for the tolls, take the freeways as suggested. This is by far the easiest way to get to where you are going. Everything is well sign-posted and easy to follow. The only issue would be the time that you depart the airport and the resulting traffic. If you are leaving the airport between 4pm and 6pm, expect the traffic over the Bolte (bridge) along the Monash (Freeway) to be a crawl. Would almost be better to spend an hour or two at the airport and leave later, you probably won't end up at your destination any later than if you left earlier.

Hope that helps.

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #17
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Use this http://ptv.vic.gov.au/journey/#jpsea...5D=showPlanner, but it looks like a near 3 hour journey by public transport.
Old 26-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #18
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thankyou gentleman.. at times the viccies warmth surprises me will you still be the same after the weekend. the hawks gawd never thought I'd say that.
Old 26-09-2013, 07:44 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Frankston train line is a *****, there is a good 20 stops on that line I reckon.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #20
Ringo
I see you....

Airport is in the north west and skye/franskton is south east. Drive it. There is not direct public transport between the two locations.

Cab will be $130 at least.

Don't worry about the footy. Melbourne is full of Collingwood supporters so we are tolerant of weirdo's talking up their football teams. We just don't make eye contact and move along. The thing that ALL Melbournians hate is a one sided AFL game and the grand final will be showdown between two teams who have truly earnt their opportunity.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #21
BLU-220
FG XR50 TURBO
Donating Member3

Enjoy the wildlife in Frankston. ;-)

that part made me laugh
BLU-220 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2013, 12:40 AM   #22
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks View Post
Despite it not being your preferred option, the cheapest and easiest way is just to rent a buzz box.
^^^^^^^ This, i fly into Melb 4 times a year to visit my employer in carrum downs. Even with tolls,fuel its cheaper to rent. If you are easily stressed by traffic either take a vallium or a cab

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz