Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Warrenk

Default Tracking a New Vehicle Purchase

I was looking for a vehicle to tow my new caravan which has an ATM of 2720Kg. The weight ruled out the Territory, so I thought I take a look at the Ranger Wildtrack. We arranged a test drive of a dual cab XLT at the ford dealer. On the way we passed a Jeep dealer so I thought I would check out the new Grand Cherokee Limited CRD. Similar towing specs and price to the Wildtrack. We took it for a test drive. Then we continued on to the Ford dealership and test drove the Ranger. These vehicles are so far about it not funny, comfort, power, ride smoothness finish, turning circle, the list goes on. In my option, if you want a ute your can't go past the ranger and if you 4wd station wagon get a Jeep GC CRD. Nothing in it price range comes close to it. To make a long story short we ordered a Jeep Grande Cherokee Overland.

That's a bit of the background.

Before I ordered it I was doing all the internet searches and came across an American Jeep forum, Jeep Garage. This forum also has a area for the Aussie imported jeeps. The information on this site good or bad is incredible with information any new jeep buyer wants to know.
The part I was impressed with was the tracking feature they offer for a vehicle that was ordered through a dealership.

I ordered my new Jeep and because there was none in Australia in the configuration I wanted it had to come from the assembly plant in the US. I eventually received the CJD order number from the dealer. I became a paid forum member, PM'ed the order number away. Within an hour I had the information that the vehicle had left the plant and is currently loaded on the boat to Australia.
I also received the completed build sheet and VIN for car. I can also track it progress across the Pacific Ocean and know exactly when it arrives in Australia.

If this vehicle had not been ordered by CJD Australia as a stock item and was a special build I would have known when vehicle was on the build list, the day the build was started, the progress down the production line and when the final QC inspection was. From there it is tracked until it is on the car carrier ship. This process is updated twice daily.

Only if this could be done for any new car you buy.

Warren

Old 26-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #2
GQ_Smooth
Long live the inline 6

Default Re: Tracking a New Vehicle Purchase

Seems like a fantastic feature.

Best of luck with the Jeep, fingers crossed it meets your long term expectation.

Hers
BFII Ghia
GQ_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Great choice, we use those Jeep's in our fleet for tow vehicles, good pricing too. The guys moved from Patrols to these and couldn't be happier, nice units. They didn't want dual cabs didn't need a tray so didn't explore those options, for what they want any D/C is a waste. And they wanted something more 'urban' than commercial, tow not load carrying. I reckon a sedan buyer would be happy enough with one, where the move to a D/C is still a leap into load carrying light truck land
Old 26-09-2013, 06:01 PM   #4
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Much better customer service than most dealers "it will arrive in 4-8 weeks" no other info available, from local dealer. When my daughter bought her Hyundai, they gave her a tracking number, ship it was on and expected arrival and dealer delivery. I could look up on the ships manifest, where it was....
Old 26-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
Hally

Just had a similar experience with VW. Purchased a Golf and have been told it will arrive at the dock November 1.
Hally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #6
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, order a new car in Oz and the dealer laughs at you, "You want it in that colour by when, ha ha, good one mate, we'll take your cash, your order and get back to you, oh and don't call us we'll call you".
Old 27-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #7
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bmw have been doing this for a while
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
Warrenk

This had nothing to do with the Jeep dealer, in fact they appeared reluctant to give the information. They told me the car was going to arrive in Australia mid November. Chrysler Australia would have known the car was sitting at the port waiting to loaded and would be arriving in Australia mid October.

All the build and delivery information came from the Jeep Garage - Jeep Forum.
Old 27-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Toyota were providing tracking on the 120 series Prado at one stage. Updates showed the ship name, waiting at dock to load on to ship, landed on dock in Australia etc
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post