Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default manual conversion

hey guys just been looking into this, i know a lot have had it done but was wondering if anyone has attempted to actually put the lot in themselves, is it a rather hard job to do?

any tips and tricks?

also whats the going price for a decent auto, has about 205,000 km on it but just been flushed probably 1000 ago, seems to be in very good condition.

GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bartsau has done it. Might be worth asking him(see below link) I am also doing it in the next 6 - 12 months, already have the box but am just collecting other parts(pedal box, clutch kit e.t.c.).

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11285330

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

seems easy enough, called around a few wreckers and nobody seems to have a manual tail shaft or manual S1 ecu. what exactly is the difference between the auto and manual tail shafts
Old 19-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #4
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
seems easy enough, called around a few wreckers and nobody seems to have a manual tail shaft or manual S1 ecu. what exactly is the difference between the auto and manual tail shafts
You will find that an auto tailshaft is longer than a manual one. Also, if you need an ECU you can get a reconditioned one from injecttronics through repco for $350 after your $200 cash back for your old one.

Hope this helps if there is anything else just let me know.

Cheers, Rhys

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #5
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers Rhys, do you know the size difference? i might try get my current one cut down. $350 seems a bit rich, or is that the rough price you'd pay for one anyway?
Old 19-02-2010, 09:26 PM   #6
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Cheers Rhys, do you know the size difference? i might try get my current one cut down. $350 seems a bit rich, or is that the rough price you'd pay for one anyway?
I don't know the size difference as my mechanic organised that side of things. However, i will see if he knows how much shorter it was.

I couldn't get my tailshaft shortened as it was aluminium and he couldn't get it done.

The result was that i got a new driveshaft made from steel. This one used the outer half of my original uni joints while new halfs were welded to the new steel tailshaft.

The cost for this to be made up was $400. In hindsight i would have gotten a bigger steel one made up with bigger (1350) uni joints. (No point though untill i have the V8 in it as things may change again).

Cheers, Rhys

Toy Car Build
Old 19-02-2010, 11:42 PM   #7
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

How difficult would it be to do this to a fairmont ghia s1? I've been toying with the idea for a while now...
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2010, 12:55 AM   #8
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think there should probably be a how to on this as a lot of people are interested in doing it but unsure how to go about doing it and what is involved.

Basicly you need all of the parts:
T5 Manual 5spd and cross member for supporting the rear of the gearbox
Bellhousing
Manual Gear Lever
Manual boot (can be fitted to an auto centre console with the only problem being the small oval section where the econ switch goes (or won't be any longer))
Manual ecu (will run on an auto ecu but the thermo fans will run continuously and it will idle a little high) a replacement manual is best to be of the same series otherwise chances are it won't work due to different processor speeds and smartlock vs smartsheild.
Clutch kit (including pressure plate, clutch plate and spigot bearing) correct me if i'm wrong.
Clutch Cable
Pedal box (If doing it on series II/III you will have to drill 4 holes in a series I pedal box to get it to fit and vice versa using series II/III in a series I you will need to drill 2 holes.) These holes are for the studs of the brake booster.
Manual flywheel.
Manual sandwidge plate thing between bellhousing and block
Bearing in the back of the crankshaft
Manual driveshaft or get one made up (can have yours shortened if it is steel but most aren't) Manual is shorter by an amount over auto but not too sure how much.

I think that is about it. There are probably a few other small bits and pieces. I only fitted centre console and pedal box (Series I into series III so out with the drill) but got my mechanic to fit the rest and organise the tailshaft.
Your best bet is to pick up a wrecked manual of the same series if possible and sell what parts you don't want.

Hope this helps.
Cheers, Rhys

Toy Car Build