Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 10-11-2005, 09:58 PM   #1
efgiar
rofl copter

Unhappy EF Ghia accident at roundabout

yeah im an idiot, i was going around a round about, not hard, and hit a wet patch on the road, *** end kicked out, tried to correct it and the l/h/r hit the gutter, flang the *** end around the other way, did a 180, went into a ditch smashing the r/h/r wheel into the ditch, front bar is screwed, side skirt has a big crack in it, r/h/r wheel is buckeled beond repair... i just wish i was dead right now i cant believe i stuffed my car...

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:05 PM   #2
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Even though its a bloody stupid think to do, we all screw up at some stage.

Hard lesson yes!

Which car btw?
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:06 PM   #3
efgiar
rofl copter

my new car, ef ghia, but the thing is i wasnt even giving it anything, and it just kicked the **** end out... but i spose there is a good thing... the lsd worked this time

thats all
Old 10-11-2005, 10:08 PM   #4
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

That's right mate, we all learn from our mistake's, we need to make them to learn from them, one day you will look back on this and laugh, just as long as you didn't hurt anyone or yourself is the main thing.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:08 PM   #5
the lane

Mate!!! what a major p*sser.I'm feeling for you right now.Your not the first and no means the last to have this type of back luck stowed apon them,so try and keep your chin up.
the lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:11 PM   #6
efgiar
rofl copter

no my 2 occupents (step brother and a girl) are fine, i was shaking bad and just in total shock, first time ive done any damage to a car like that and im just stuffed now... im taking the day off work and going to get a quote... hopfully it will be less then 1200ish or im stuffed...

thats all
Old 10-11-2005, 10:11 PM   #7
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

man thats not the car i was hoping it happened to
as long as your ok thats the main thing you can fix a car

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:12 PM   #8
efgiar
rofl copter

i should have photos tomoro of the damage... and all that mud... but hopefully the panel shop doesnt say that ive bent somthing major...

thats all
Old 10-11-2005, 10:13 PM   #9
efgiar
rofl copter

thanks for ur support guys... still feeling like a ********... but yeah... maybe i should do an xr6 front on mine now...

thats all
Old 10-11-2005, 10:14 PM   #10
efgiar
rofl copter

oh and to make things worse 2 car pulled up, both cops heading to work... and they are like, we will help u, just dont tell us how u did it

thats all
Old 10-11-2005, 10:22 PM   #11
BlackLS

Sorry to hear about the off, everyone makes mistakes, I made a stupid mistake around this time last year and its still costing me. You'll be fine ;)

Let this be a reminder to everyone take it more than easy on roundabouts. A lot of the time it may be bone dry, but on the other side is a wet patch from where a firetruck has turned and offloaded some water. Have had a few edgy moments with these.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:25 PM   #12
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

at least they wernt buggers and tried to book ya for somthing

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:27 PM   #13
efgiar
rofl copter

ok lets start to repair and mend this hole in me... does anyone have a rh side skirt for ef/el fairmont ghia style one... and a front bar, dont care what color.

thats all
Old 10-11-2005, 10:29 PM   #14
efgiar
rofl copter

yeah they seemed nice... but i still think im an idiot... i might go back to that spot tomorow and recoup on what happened... and just sit and think for a while...

thats all
Old 10-11-2005, 10:37 PM   #15
-jjM-
Banned

iv done something simular mate, wasnt hooning or nothing, just it was wet and tiers :S as well early stages of p's since then, not accidents in the wet, u learn from this ;)
-jjM- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:46 PM   #16
Dezza
Parts bin special

I spun the car around a roundabout once, but I was lucky I missed the kerbs and got away without damage. I wasn't going fast either. They were pretty crappy tyres, nowhere near as good as the Yokahamas I've got now. On the other hand, about 2 months after I got my p-plates back in 02', I turned in front of an XH XR6 ute, severely damaging the Ghia and writing off the ute. It took a long time to get over it but accidents do happen.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:49 PM   #17
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Your thread title is absolutely ridiculous for the situation you have described. To do the damage you did, you must have been going more than not hard. Trying a bit of drifting weren't you? Lessons learnt with no loss of life are cheap lessons. Learn from it.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:52 PM   #18
EFFalcon
Last warning

ffs, speculation at its best.
i've spun my car on a round about without pushing hard, people *DO* put oil down on roundabouts.
do have an XR front on an AU you must have had an accident.....
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 10:58 PM   #19
Sagerian
Custom User Title:

Silly yes, but if you learn from it, thats all anyone can ask.

More importantly, if you don't learn your lesson, at least don't do it with other people in the car.

Life goes on mate, don't worry about it too much.
Just sometimes, in between the first cigarette with coffee in the morning to that four hundredth glass of cornershop p**s at 3am, you do sometimes look at yourself and think... this is fantastic. I'm in heaven.
Sagerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:01 PM   #20
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chin up, mate... Just work a bit harder, and put on hold some mods.

Nice car, she can be fixed no worries.

Old 10-11-2005, 11:01 PM   #21
John_LS1

yes it is quite easy to have this happen, there is a roundabout near me down fitzsimons lane and with 2 other people in my car i went around it and barely accelerated to get going and it kicked out easily, and this is with near new 235 tyres!
Old 10-11-2005, 11:11 PM   #22
The Dok
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
ffs, speculation at its best.
i've spun my car on a round about without pushing hard, people *DO* put oil down on roundabouts.
do have an XR front on an AU you must have had an accident.....
Wow JC, got steam coming out the ears yet??? I can vouch for JC in this case, he did definately NOT have an accident, if you had been more observant, you would have seen JC's thread very recently that detailed the conversion to the XR front (purely for cosmetic reasons). The headlights actually came from me!!!
:evilsasmo
Old 10-11-2005, 11:17 PM   #23
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

don't beat yourself up over it.. At least you didn't go and write it off
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:17 PM   #24
EFFalcon
Last warning

learn to read between the lines.
its called speculation, i KNOW about JC's car, and the AU 2 bonnet, and where it went, etc.
i'm simply saying, just because someone has an accident it doesn't mean they did something stupid.
just like if someone replaces panels, it doesn't mean they've damaged them.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:22 PM   #25
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bit of bad luck, hope you dont find out its going to cost a heap to fix.

But I do have to agree with JC-XRWgn, the title is a bit harsh..You made an error, you bingled the car, but No-one was physically hurt and you didnt hit anyone else's car... So seriously why would you feel that harsh about yourself and what happened?

It can and will be fixed, so dont beat yourself up over it, just learn from it.

Good luck with your quotes tomorrow

Last edited by fiery; 10-11-2005 at 11:24 PM. Reason: very poor grammar
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:25 PM   #26
xr8svo
Sykmat

it is very eas yto happen i am from cairns and there are a heap of round-a-bouts up there and when it rains the tow trucks just park near them and wait for the accidents it is very easy to do in the wet especially when it hasnt rained for a while and all the oil and dirty is lifted off the road.
xr8svo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:25 PM   #27
niko
likes falcon's

as long as your orite, car can be fixed

i slid at a round about once, unmarked xr8 infront of me, not even gassing it, one slippery #unt of a round about i even let go of the gas.

he goes to me "mate, our xr8 aint sliding" i felt like saying mate i have an ea with no traction control.
i got a fine out of it to.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:38 PM   #28
niko
likes falcon's

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
just like if someone replaces panels, it doesn't mean they've damaged them.
yes, just look at my car, for all u ppl that know it! lol
Old 10-11-2005, 11:41 PM   #29
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgiar
yeah im an idiot, i was going around a round about, not hard, and hit a wet patch on the road, *** end kicked out, tried to correct it and the l/h/r hit the gutter, flang the *** end around the other way, did a 180, went into a ditch smashing the r/h/r wheel into the ditch, front bar is screwed, side skirt has a big crack in it, r/h/r wheel is buckeled beond repair... i just wish i was dead right now i cant believe i stuffed my car...
EFFalcon - I got your point, but consider this. He has gone straight through a roundabout, fast enough in the conditions to lose control (I'm not saying fast, just fast enough - there is a difference). So, if he had slid into a gutter and that was it, then fair enough. But look at the action - tried to correct, hit a gutter, spun another 180 and then landed in a ditch. He would not have done all that doing 30 or 40 through the roundabout (which in the wet, with possible greasy/oily conditions would be an acceptable speed).

My guess, and I think if efgiar tells the truth, you will find that my guess is somewhere closer to the truth than your version, is that he has entered the roundabout at whatever speed (fast/medium/slow), then hit the accelerator (not necessarily hard) while straightening up, and thids has caused the back to kick out a bit, either on purpose or just by accident. The fact that he hasn't controlled the spin tells me he did not brake but tried to power and "steer" out of it.

If this "incident" happened at an approriate speed for the conditions, then there would have been no accident, no damage. efgiar's post was written to elicit sympathy - I would be more sympathetic if he admitted the truth - ie he may not have been speeding in terms of exceeding the posted limit, but he was travelling faster than he should have been.

And just so he doesn't feel too bad, he is not alone in misjudging the road conditions. I have done a similar thing at a major roundabout (two lanes each way) in Canberra, and was lucky that my 180 did not result in any damage, just embarassment. I was doing 30km/h in my AU2 Forte V8 and even that low speed was too fast on a wet road after a long dry spell (all the oil sits n top of the water). The fact that I was onyl doing 30, was the only factor that saved me hitting anything. If I was doing even 40 or 50, I would have hit at least 2 oncoming cars.

The difference is when I told the story, I admitted that I was going too fast for the prevailing conditions - but I didn't know that at the time. I considered 30 to be safe. Now, at that same roundabout - and also at other roundabouts, corners etc, I crawl through it when it is raining or has recently rained, just to be safe. That is the lesson I learnt, because I knew I had stuffed up. efgiar's only admission of a stuff up thus far has been because he damaged his car, not in how he caused the damage.

So sorry if I'm coming across as too harsh - but if more people accepted and realised their driving limits, there would be less (mostly young) Australians dying on the roads. Most accidents are caused by attitude, even though the authorities blame speed.

/RANT!

PS - Thanks Dok.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:03 AM   #30
EFFalcon
Last warning

ever gotten into a slide then slammed the brakes on?
i know i have... and i know my ex gf did, and she ended up in a ditch with some bent suspension arms, i can vouch for her driving and this was turning a corner after a set of traffic lights.

is it that hard to just beleive that an eseries owner wasnt being a hoon?