Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-11-2005, 07:51 PM   #1
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Default Ford's Cancelled my Warranty

[Edit] The first version of this post included words that might have been construed as profanity, for which I have been reprimanded. I have accordingly replaced the naughty "C" word with "Beetle"

They've got the techncal right to do so, but I still think they're Beetles.

Bought the car in 08/04. It had 55,000km on it. The Ford dealer I bought it from said it had just been serviced. The next service therefore would have been at 80,000km in 08/05. I bought a 3 year extended warranty with it.

I got the thing serviced at a different Ford dealer 09/05 with 87,000km onthe clock. Yes, it was over the service interval. But not by all that much.

Since that service it had a few issues. Apart from Ford being unable to diagnose why it was running like a bag of shyte (plugs & fuel filter - replaced by a non-Ford mechanic), the following things packed up:

- L/H upper ball joint

- Steering rack

- Radiator.

Aha thinks I - time for the extended warranty to kick in...

Yeah right.

The last service actually stamped in the service book by Ford dealer no. 1 turns out to not be 55,000km in 08/05, but 45,000km in 04/05. That's right, 4 months before I bought it.

So Ford say it went for 32,000km/17 months without a service, thereby voiding the warranty.

Beetles.

In fairness, the service manager at dealer No 2 went in to bat for me, with the result that Ford have agreed to replace the steering rack and the radiator under warranty, but not the ball joint.

But having replaced those two items, they have now cancelled the warranty.

Beetles.

Yeah I know I was a mug for believing dealer No.1 in the first place. Shoulda checked, shoulda checked, shoulda checked. But I didn't.

Beetles.

So now I've got a 92,000/5 year old car that's going into the high maintenance phase of its life, with no freaking warranty, even though I paid a couple of grand for one.

And the resale value is non existant. I've been offered a $7k on a new XR8.

Well, its had its last service at a Ford dealer now. It's not as though I have to get the service book stamped to protect the resale value. There is no resale value. And instead of having some retard spastoid Ford dealer apprentice charging his time at $80 per for every hour their job sheets say a job should take, regardless of actual time spent, I'll take the the car to somebody who knows what he's doing, and spend less money.

And now I haven't got to worry about voiding the warranty if I get some performance mods done.

So at least their is some upside to this episode.

But for anybody else out their with a FoMoCo extended warranty - read the fine print carefully, and don't expect Ford to do anything but kick you in the teeth if they get the chance.

Last edited by Abacus; 23-11-2005 at 08:01 PM.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 07:57 PM   #2
parawolf
beep beep

Curiously, is it a Ford Australia Factory extended warranty or was it a dealership extended warranty?

Sorry but insulting people does not work - and unfortunately extended warranties cost companies big dollars, and they will look for an out where possible. It is unfortunate you did not do your research properly and being comprehensive on the vehicle.

If you want someone to complain to you could contact VACC. But because you didn't conduct due dilligence, sorry well within their rights.
Old 23-11-2005, 08:03 PM   #3
DanXR6T
Eat more peanuts....

My Ford book says services every 10,000kms or six months I think. So 37000kms/17months, I don't see why you are getting so worked up? I have an AU1 but I doubt its different to AU2.

You were going to go 25000kms without a service anyways, thats an eternity.....

Formerly owned:
'99 AU Falcon Ute
'88 EA Falcon GL
DanXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 08:03 PM   #4
Abacus
Life's a Gas

It was the genuine FoMoCO "Premium" extended warranty.
Old 23-11-2005, 08:08 PM   #5
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman82
My Ford book says services every 10,000kms or six months I think. So 37000kms/17months, I don't see why you are getting so worked up? I have an AU1 but I doubt its different to AU2.
Series II is 15,000 service interval.

The bit that really aggravates me is that the the reason I took out the warranty was really to cover the techy bits that aren't rountinely serviced anyway, like electronics, etc. There is nothing that would have occurred at the missing service, for example, that would have prevented the ball joint, radiator, or steering rack packing up.

I'm not worried about the the effects of the warranty on the drivetrain. How often does an unopened Windsor blow up?
Old 23-11-2005, 08:08 PM   #6
parawolf
beep beep

ah well... yeah I think it was fair that they cancelled it. Sorry - thats life.

If you didn't read the fine print in regards to the extended warranty, and then didn't confirm when the next service was required to maintain the warranty then it is your own fault.

Where's the problem?
Old 23-11-2005, 08:13 PM   #7
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus

The bit that really aggravates me is that the the reason I took out the warranty was really to cover the techy bits that aren't rountinely serviced anyway, like electronics, etc. There is nothing that would have occurred at the missing service, for example, that would have prevented the ball joint, radiator, or steering rack packing up.

I'm not worried about the the effects of the warranty on the drivetrain. How often does an unopened Windsor blow up?
But you still waited 32,000km before servicing. Over double the 15,000km you have stated regardless. Perhaps this could be resolved by Ford saying "you pay full rate for the ball joint" and we re-instate the warranty, but they decided to use the 'out' clause which they are in their rights to do so.

Yes it's harsh, but oh well.
Old 23-11-2005, 08:14 PM   #8
DanXR6T
Eat more peanuts....

Quote:

Okay 15000kms intervals, you had intended of going from 55000 to 80000kms anyways - thats a conscious decision for a 25000km interval, 10000kms over the requirement.... I still don't get your point that they are "Beetles".

Formerly owned:
'99 AU Falcon Ute
'88 EA Falcon GL
Old 23-11-2005, 08:27 PM   #9
parawolf
beep beep

Just wondering as well... did it have the next service due sticker on the inside wind-shield indicating next service due in km's and date?
Old 23-11-2005, 08:30 PM   #10
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Yes I know I'm in the wrong. I said so in the post. The reason they are Beetles is because there is basically zero correlation between anything that might get looked at in a routine A service, and the thangs that are likely to go wrong, for which I took out the cover.

I would have thought a fairer way to deal with the issue would be to deny liability where at least some nexus exists between work covered under the service program that was missed, and a subsequent fault that arises. Ok, so I did't have an oil change. How does that affect a leaking radiator? Or a shagged [admins: can I say that?] ball joint?

Not to mention the things that are more likely to happen, like boot strut mounts and climate control LCD displays. How on earth are they adversely affected by not having a 75,000km service.

Naaah. They're still Beetles.
Old 23-11-2005, 08:32 PM   #11
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
Just wondering as well... did it have the next service due sticker on the inside wind-shield indicating next service due in km's and date?
No it didn't.

Like I said, I took the selling dealer's word at face value. "Its just been serviced". I can't prove a thing. My fault entirely.
Old 23-11-2005, 08:36 PM   #12
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

I can see a right for cancellation with you not meeting the conditions of this warranty. But as you say you have paid for 3 years , without knowing the terms of the contract I'd have thought that you would be entitled to some refund for the 20 odd months of now cancelled cover.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 08:40 PM   #13
parawolf
beep beep

Fair point, pro-rata payout is a fair ask. Should cover the costs of the ball joint fix.
Old 23-11-2005, 08:46 PM   #14
fauxpas

Abacus, if you are seriously looking at rolling onto another vehicle, shop around.

Heaps of shops were quoting me the wholesale price for my car as a trade-in (AUII $7000).

I eventually found a shop that gave me $11,500 on my AUII Futura.

They will quote you wholesale if they have no intentions of selling your car on their lot. $7000 is all they'll get from some suckhole 2nd hand car yard where an AUII would be one of their better cars. Find a car yard that sell the next car you want and also still sell your car for $13000+.

fauxpas? pronounce it?

My Ghia
fauxpas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 08:52 PM   #15
Psycho Chicken
Banned

32,000 km without a service? Are you for real?

A service isn't just an oil change. Tension on important parts is checked, everything that needs lubing is lubed, everything is checked for leaks, etc, etc. Other things may very well fail.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 09:27 PM   #16
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Just another example of the absolute con of these extended warranties they take the money and do nothing.

No one should ever buy one they are a total con there are too many people with bad experiences to trust them even if you try and do the right thing.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 09:30 PM   #17
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
Just another example of the absolute con of these extended warranties they take the money and do nothing.

No one should ever buy one they are a total con there are too many people with bad experiences to trust them even if you try and do the right thing.
What right thing did he do by the terms of the contract?

This is no different to buying a car on finance and then not paying the first 4 months payments and then complain that they finance company repossesed the car.
Old 23-11-2005, 09:34 PM   #18
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I can see your point. They were happy taking your money along the way and then weaveled their way out. I think that they are big fat juicy beetles.
Thats why I did some law school at the beginning of the year....most problems come down to contracts!! It was a hard subject but harder not to know.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 09:38 PM   #19
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
I can see your point. They were happy taking your money along the way and then weaveled their way out.

Sorry but what part did they weavel their way out of? What part has Ford not done, and what part has the customer not done?

Ford's job is to make money - let us not forget this. You should always read what you sign.
Old 23-11-2005, 09:43 PM   #20
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

We still havn't been told if it was a dealer extended warrenty or Ford Aust????.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 09:43 PM   #21
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Simple answer is, you stuffed up, they don't want to help anymore, but you should be entitled to get your money back for the pro rata of whats left of the policy.

I see so many cars that go unserviced for extended periods of time, people then turn around and blame the manufactures for a lousy product.
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 10:34 PM   #22
AUGhiaV8

Quote:
Bought the car in 08/04. It had 55,000km on it. The Ford dealer I bought it from said it had just been serviced.
blah blah blah
I bought a 3 year extended warranty with it.
blah blah blah
The last service actually stamped in the service book by Ford dealer no. 1 turns out to not be 55,000km in 08/05, but 45,000km in 04/05. That's right, 4 months before I bought it.
For the record, my word will be 'dance'.

Who the dance do these people think they are. If the above facts are correct then they have misled you and are accountable. As far as I can see these dancing beetiles sold you an extended warranty that is worth dancing nothing and should refund you the amount you paid for it. Problem is proving it (he said/she said so to speak). Time to call a current affairs show... they looove motor traders!
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 10:38 PM   #23
AUGhiaV8

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
We still havn't been told if it was a dealer extended warrenty or Ford Aust????.
Yes we have.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 10:50 PM   #24
DanXR6T
Eat more peanuts....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGhiaV8
For the record, my word will be 'dance'.

Who the dance do these people think they are. If the above facts are correct then they have misled you and are accountable. As far as I can see these dancing beetiles sold you an extended warranty that is worth dancing nothing and should refund you the amount you paid for it. Problem is proving it (he said/she said so to speak). Time to call a current affairs show... they looove motor traders!
Hang on....

He thought it said 55000kms last service.... he didn't take it in until 87000kms... he said the service intervals are 15000kms.... work out the maths!!!

Formerly owned:
'99 AU Falcon Ute
'88 EA Falcon GL
Old 23-11-2005, 11:04 PM   #25
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

if they can't work out the maths, they're not going to be able to work out what the obligations were on his behalf
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 11:07 PM   #26
PULLY6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays

I disagree with this. A mate at work just bought a late '98 EL Fairlane Ghia, with extended warranty.

Two weeks after he bought it, the SLS suspension pump died. Stilwell Ford replaced the rear suspension with Pedders non-SLS items.

He's been running for 3 months now, not a hassle. The steering rack has been replaced under ext. warranty, as has the RH ball joint, and the air con compressor.

$500 well spent there.
Old 23-11-2005, 11:14 PM   #27
boodek
Ferret

For the aspiring students, the correct spelling is "weevil"; however, I think you mean "weasel"...
boodek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 11:25 PM   #28
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have dealer extended warranty. I think its called Harrier. Service every 6 months or 10,000 k. Only covers certain things and upto a certain value. It's not really ideal warranty, but at least if something breaks, i get the first $$$$$$ covered. It's better than nothing. 2010 it expires.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 11:29 PM   #29
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLY6
I disagree with this. A mate at work just bought a late '98 EL Fairlane Ghia, with extended warranty.

Two weeks after he bought it, the SLS suspension pump died. Stilwell Ford replaced the rear suspension with Pedders non-SLS items.

He's been running for 3 months now, not a hassle. The steering rack has been replaced under ext. warranty, as has the RH ball joint, and the air con compressor.

$500 well spent there.
yep, and all it takes to keep this warranty is to keep the thing serviced at interval.....

some extended warranties can be a con.... i'd never purchase an extented warranty at a dodgy looking caryard for instance.....however, IMO an extended warranty is worth its weight on gold from a reputable dealership..
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2005, 11:29 PM   #30
richo77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLY6

$500 well spent there.

i also agree that the extended warranties are not a complete sham. i was lucky enough to be able to transfer the previous owners warranty into my name after jumping thru hoops so the bloke before me spent the $1800 on a 4 year premium warranty.

As much as i would love to bag ford service, my car had a power steering leak, they replaced the high pressure hose no problems, also there was a problem with a faulty 'actuator' in the ventilation system causing an vibration at high revs. they replaced that as well. even though they fixed all that stuff and whatever else stuffs up in the next few years it wont stop me from taking my car to a non ford mechanic once the warranty runs out!

just an alternative view :
richo77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post