Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 24-03-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default time to bite the bullet

gday all

as the title says it has come time for us to bite the bullet and put the el on gas

as some of you all know i have been anti gas but this weekend has been the worst time fuel wise for us

it cost us near on $30 in fuel to get to melbourne from geelong and back now this is getting beyond a joke when i got the el it cost us just on $20 and was still able to do the weeks running

i got better with my torana tt 400 chev v8 when fuel was at 58c a ltr

so i have made the hard call to put the el on gas i hope i dont regret it but looking at things it will be better in the long run .....

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2008, 08:14 PM   #2
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

are you going to get svi or just a mixer setup? if you can find a competent installer, the new sprint gas system can be used on el's, not sure about the other systems, but svi is a lot more economical and you don't lose much if any power as with a mixer system, just something to think about
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

i spend around $90 a fortnight lol!
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2008, 08:31 PM   #4
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i havnt booked it in yet but all i know is it is an italian designed system
Old 24-03-2008, 10:26 PM   #5
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Bad mistake if you ask me. I've heard stories over and over again of people and mates putting their cars on gas only to really regret it months later because it has ruined their motor. All of them were done professionally too and it backfires all the time and generally makes the car run like crap.

I dont care how much fuel goes up, I'll never be putting my car on gas.

By the way I wouldn't be complaining for $30 from Geelong to Melbourne and back, its not that bad.
Old 24-03-2008, 10:56 PM   #6
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradensEBxr6
Bad mistake if you ask me. I've heard stories over and over again of people and mates putting their cars on gas only to really regret it months later because it has ruined their motor. All of them were done professionally too and it backfires all the time and generally makes the car run like crap.

By the way I wouldn't be complaining for $30 from Geelong to Melbourne and back, its not that bad.

I agree mate. No offence to the OP, but the only cars meant for Gas came out of the Factory that way. My Falcon is getting better economy than my Mazda6 was, and is nicer to drive, faster, and allows me to laugh at the greenies.

$2500 (the average cost of a Gas conversion) buys a lot of Petrol.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2008, 11:10 PM   #7
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

a back fire is only from a few reasons

1 weak leads
2 fouled plug
3 low gas
4 air / vacuum leak

So if you had any thought for your car you would ether replace these things or at least check them .

vsi system is good but a simple mixer set up is just as good until you get around the 150rwkw mark as a impco 225 is good enough to run that amount of power easy enough.
trick_xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2008, 11:17 PM   #8
MMD

i got my EL done about 10mths ago.

Do i regret it- nope.

I got a Sprint Gas system with Flash lube for $2200 ($2000 rebate) so i was only $200 out of pocket - made that back in a few months.
Performance wise - You know when u are on Gas, but it is not a Major performance decrease.

Have not had a backfire yet. With the misses driving it 90% of time get around 350k to a tank (80litre tank - ~70litre Gas)

Had to replace Spark Leads almost immediately after converting.
Occasionally has a rough start (shudders as it switches over to Gas from petrol) but other than those things its all good.
MMD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 12:54 AM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:

Such a short sighted view. What about the 1000s of cabs that are converted aftermarket (they're not all done from factory). If gas was no good, do you really think the people that do the most CITY kms per year would be using it?

Gas actually helps to prolong the life of your motor, not shorten it. If you put gas on an old motor, you may experience some problems like backfiring etc, but as someone has already posted, good coil, leads, plugs and fixing any vacuum leaks WILL rectify 99% of gas issues (backfires in particular).

I have had gas in 3 of my last 4 cars, and will be getting gas on the explorer too (if I can find someone that does a kit for it!).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 01:08 AM   #10
XXRR-50
Formerly ORSMT-2

Go the VSI, you wont regret it. It may cost a bit more, but its worth it. I converted my 5L 10 months ago and never looked back. No stalling, backfiring or loss in performance. And the savings...I'm spending half as much as I used to. In a few months it will pay itself of.

For the installation, I recommend APS in Frankston. They did mine and my workmates EL 5L too, very professional installers.

Previous cars:
'03 BA G220 Fairlane
'00 T2 TE50 #063(ORSMT-2)
'96 EFII Fairmont Ghia 5l V8(TOPGIA#2)
'03 BA Fairmont Ghia I6(TOPGIA#1)
'94 ED XR6(TKFRD-6)
'93 EB S-XR6

FOR SALE: ORSMT-2 NUMBER PLATES
XXRR-50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 02:01 AM   #11
trick_xd

VSI is great for a 5ltr but for a 6 it has to make a heap of torque for it to really warrant it.

if jason wants to put it down the strip again he will only run on petrol anyway so he could really save some cash and get the normal set up with a impco 225 .... as those kits are better then the omvl / landy / sprint , ring set ups.

But yes the VSI systems are great , If I could find a way to get one running on my clevo I would.
Old 25-03-2008, 08:17 AM   #12
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Such a short sighted view. What about the 1000s of cabs that are converted aftermarket (they're not all done from factory). If gas was no good, do you really think the people that do the most CITY kms per year would be using it?
Going from my mates experiences here. One mate bought a AU about a year ago, it ran like a dream until it was put on gas. Another mate had an AU and as soon as gas was put on it, it ran like crap and now both these guys are spending more money getting the system fixed all the time than they would have been on petrol. :
If I ever had a gas car it would be one from the factory, like the BF e-gas for example.
I know a lot of people have no problems with their gas systems, but theres also a lot who have a lot of trouble with them.
Old 25-03-2008, 08:37 AM   #13
JimmyF

plenty of people have had issues with EFI systems too.
blocked injectors, faulty sensors, running rich etc.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #14
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

2 x 12" Subs + Amps + Cap + Wiring + Boot Space or GAS............ um........

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 01:16 PM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Going from my mates experiences here. One mate bought a AU about a year ago, it ran like a dream until it was put on gas. Another mate had an AU and as soon as gas was put on it, it ran like crap and now both these guys are spending more money getting the system fixed all the time than they would have been on petrol. :
If I ever had a gas car it would be one from the factory, like the BF e-gas for example.
I know a lot of people have no problems with their gas systems, but theres also a lot who have a lot of trouble with them.
So that's 2 mates experience versus 1,000,000 taxis? And you think you're winning this argument? A sweeping statement like "but theres also a lot who have a lot of trouble with them" needs to be backed up with facts, and, sorry, but the partial stories of 2 "mates" does not one fact make. Do you even know if their problems are directly related to the LPG system? ie does the car run just as bad on petrol? If so, then it's not LPG related, but might be related to the age of the car. I had a head gasket blow on my NF 2 weeks ago. It runs on LPG. Should I claim that gas made the gasket go?

My bet is your mates took shortcuts in getting their systems done - either going to cheapest installer, or not replacing plugs, leads etc as recommended by any good installer.

Sorry to sound like I'm totally pro-gas, but I am, and if the car is in good condition, and ignition and LPG systems kept in good condition, then you can't lose with gas. I save over $60 every time I fill up (once a week), and at worst, it will cost me around $300 per year to renew plugs, leads etc on the car, so after putting aside the saving to cover this cost (approx 5 weeks per year at current price differences), I am going to be in front all the way. Those that do more than 15000km per year would see bigger savings and faster (just look at the savings Schmidty had, with a poorly performing SVI system - he still saved money!!)
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 25-03-2008, 01:17 PM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
Pretty sure you're joking, but you don't lose that much boot space with an LPG conversion. In fact, with a torroidal tank install, you lose none, and a can of phenilek will work just as well as a spare.

Old 25-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #17
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

I've had a VL V8 and a VR V8 converted to LPG and both were basically prone to problems. I put that down to lack of proper maintenance. My (cammed)V8 wagon is great on LPG. Since the prices have gone up, $55 gets me around 500km. The wagon runs great, goes great and is cheap to run. You really need to get the basic bits right such as the O2 sensors, very good leads and some good GAPPED plugs. Get the car converted by an installer with a GOOD reputation too.
Old 25-03-2008, 02:41 PM   #18
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Pretty sure you're joking, but you don't lose that much boot space with an LPG conversion. In fact, with a torroidal tank install, you lose none, and a can of phenilek will work just as well as a spare.
Well my Sub Box and Subs are behind the Back Seat.

Have not seen a torridal tank install or even heard of that before, I am assumming the gas tank is in the wheel well?

Any tank installation I have seen has been UGLY...............

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

Quote:
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Old 25-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #19
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Well my Sub Box and Subs are behind the Back Seat.

Have not seen a torridal tank install or even heard of that before, I am assumming the gas tank is in the wheel well?

Any tank installation I have seen has been UGLY...............
Yep - that's the one. A few hundred more, but you get to keep full boot space, or at worst, spare wheel in the boot instead of big ugly gas tank.

Old 25-03-2008, 04:15 PM   #20
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Yep - that's the one. A few hundred more, but you get to keep full boot space, or at worst, spare wheel in the boot instead of big ugly gas tank.
I guess it would be a smaller capacity?

They dont cut any of the boot floor out to fit it do they?

Interesting option anyways, have not seen or heard of it before...........

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

Quote:
Old 25-03-2008, 04:20 PM   #21
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

Quote:
i have that and gas :P
Old 25-03-2008, 06:24 PM   #22
BADEF-6
Moates Ostrich 2.0 User

i run a 425 impco on the ef now and i have no issues i first had a 225 on it and that was a very good system now the 425 is brilliant for me. the other thing is that with a simple gas mixer setup you can do what you want to the motor, could put a HUGE cam in it and deck the head to a minimum wind you timing more with out pinging due to lpg being higher octane and the best 2 things......

and also with forced induction you can run up to 25% more boost also

1. you dont have to worry about any chips or aftermarket ems systems.
2. the BEST part its CHEAP POWER!!
BADEF-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #23
MADED-6
MADED.6

yeah gas in one way can be good but unless i had a 100+litre tank i wouldnt be getting it.
to get 350km out of say $30-40 gas wen i get 550km out of $80 of petrol id rather stay with petrol.
and watching the gas price rise lately its not looking good i recon itll get more and more.
and yeah my mate was having problems with backfires but we advanced his timing and he has never had a problem since and it went a bit better and gets better km's now.
thats just me tho if i had a stock car id do it but having a stroked 5ltr i just wont do it.
and grimus dam u sure there isnt anything wrong with ur car.
my stroked cam'd twin throttle bodied au costs me from werribee to melborne around $65-70 for 5 days i no its roughly half the distance but i cop traffic every morning and night and get that.
cheers josh.
MADED-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 07:00 PM   #24
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADED-6
and grimus dam u sure there isnt anything wrong with ur car.
my stroked cam'd twin throttle bodied au costs me from werribee to melborne around $65-70 for 5 days i no its roughly half the distance but i cop traffic every morning and night and get that.
cheers josh.
nothing wrong with the car it only has just come up for a service now

oil filters ect only being that it has got a new dizzy cap, rotor, plugs, leads, map sensor, oxy sensor ect in the time i have been chasing a miss that the car has intermittently

but i am doing this now being that i am also planning on a good driving holiday mid yr

if you have other ideas as to what could cause the crap fuel eco then please let me know

the car is booked in for the 28th april to get the kit fitted and it is a sprint kit

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 25-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #25
trick_xd

Sprint VSI or Sprint vapor ?
Old 25-03-2008, 07:17 PM   #26
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
So that's 2 mates experience versus 1,000,000 taxis? And you think you're winning this argument? A sweeping statement like "but theres also a lot who have a lot of trouble with them" needs to be backed up with facts, and, sorry, but the partial stories of 2 "mates" does not one fact make. Do you even know if their problems are directly related to the LPG system? ie does the car run just as bad on petrol? If so, then it's not LPG related, but might be related to the age of the car. I had a head gasket blow on my NF 2 weeks ago. It runs on LPG. Should I claim that gas made the gasket go?

My bet is your mates took shortcuts in getting their systems done - either going to cheapest installer, or not replacing plugs, leads etc as recommended by any good installer.
Sorry not trying to argue with ya mate, was just stating my mates problems. I'd still never go for gas, even if there is no problems with it. I'm just not a fan of it. Plus it makes the boot and engine bay messy so thats another reason for me not to convert.
Old 25-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #27
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick_xd
Sprint VSI or Sprint vapor ?
not sure trick but either way it is a start being that it wont cost me a cent to get it on

i will find out though out of curiosity

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 25-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #28
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimus
not sure trick but either way it is a start being that it wont cost me a cent to get it on

i will find out though out of curiosity

jason
It would have to be vapour - they don't have a VSI kit for pre-AU I6s yet, as the S in VSI (or SVI) = Sequential, and EB to EFs are group firing, I think (I know they're NOT sequential). EL is probably the same too. The V8s may be a different story, but even then, the old mixer ring vapour style works well enough, and it won't cost you much more than the $2k rebate.

Old 25-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #29
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Im with braden on this one. A guy from work has his EL on gas, and all it does is cost him money to fix things.
Another guy from work used to run his own auto repair business, and the amount of taxis that came in with gas problems was ridiculous.
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 08:29 PM   #30
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this kit has a 2 yr warranty so for the first 2 yrs i dont have to worry after thet i will just get my old man to worry about it

he wouldnt want his grand kids stranded would he lol

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]