Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 07-03-2006, 05:07 PM   #1
Joes_meat
Churches Eat Souls

Default More EF idle problems

The EF GLi was hunting and idling pretty low and roughly (as low as 550rpm) so I unplugged the ISC and turned the idle screw up a little.

It's idling very well now around 800rpm. It still hunts a tiny bit. Throttle response is a lot better now (especially at lower revs) and the rev's drop a lot quicker when reved in neutral (and makes a nice burble as they drop.)

So it's idling very nicely until there is a hot day, and I want to turn on the air-conditioner. Idle drops a fair amount and becomes very rough. I expect because the un-plugged ISC isn't increasing the rev's with the extra strain.

So is my ISC faulty, or can it be another fault that dissapears when the ISC is removed?

The ISC had a small amount of carbon build up in it, but carby cleaner didn't seem to remove any of it. Could a replacement ISC fix my problems?

Joes_meat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 08:33 PM   #2
slickef
Apprentice Fridgey

I have the exactly the same problem with my ef futura, i just unplugged the ICS for good, seeing as i have a hole in my a/c fridge piping (im an apprentice fridgey) and could not be bothered fixing it so it will never be used, but it has improved my car by 110%. someday i might replace it to see if it changes but the older models didnt have it so why change it :evilsasmo
96 EF Falcon Futura, Powered by Microtech, 2222549 Crow Cam, Metal Gasket, Port and Polish, Oversized Forged Valves, EF Fairmont Dash, K&N Highflow Filter, Pacemaker Competition Extractors, 2 1/2 Mandrel Bent Exhaust, High Flow Cat, Converter Shop 3500 stall, Shift Kit, 4.11 Diff Ratio, Mini Spool

Best ET 14.654 @ 88.270Mph at Benaraby Raceway, Gladstone Queensland
slickef is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 04:34 AM   #3
wfr237
Starter Motor

Is it a stock engine? I have the same problem EF11 wagon stock with 390k km's
wfr237 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 07:37 AM   #4
mr_efxr
Not your average EF Wagon

Get it plugged up to a Diagnostic Computer to read the Error Code being thrown out by the ECU. Best way, clear the Codes, take it for a 15-20min drive and then read the codes again.
You will find that this could be a dirty/faulty ISC, faulty crank angle sensor, faulty power steering pressure sensor or faulty synchroniser (aka dizzy).

The recently SOLD 95 EF Wagon 5spd NA SLEEPER

The Daily cruisers now *95 R33 Skyline GTS-T RB25DET *93 Lexus GS300 2JZ-GTE

Car enthusiasts visit Unique Cars and Parts
mr_efxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 10:44 PM   #5
daz82
In the family since 1996

this might sound like a totally stoopid question, but an ISC is what? drawing a blank on that one, my 'new car is idling rough as guts and stalling, as well as blowing a bit of black smoke, my grandad hardly drove it, any idea what it could be guys? havnt had a chance to check it out properly yet.
daz82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2006, 01:38 PM   #6
Joes_meat
Churches Eat Souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_efxr
Get it plugged up to a Diagnostic Computer to read the Error Code being thrown out by the ECU. Best way, clear the Codes, take it for a 15-20min drive and then read the codes again.
You will find that this could be a dirty/faulty ISC, faulty crank angle sensor, faulty power steering pressure sensor or faulty synchroniser (aka dizzy).

No error codes. It's also really slow on cold mornings with the ISC disconnected. So bad that I've reconnected the ISC and delt with the bad idle. No dizzy, it's cot a coil-pack.

daz82: ISC is an idle speed control. It sits on top of the throttle body, it increases the idle when needed. i.e. cold start-ups, air-con, power steering etc.
Old 04-07-2006, 01:19 PM   #7
Joes_meat
Churches Eat Souls

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I've only just fixed the problem.

I plugged the ISC back in and replaced the O2 sensor. Good as gold now.