Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
redimon
Starter Motor

Question Steering wheel audio controls SWI-PS

G'day all.

I bought a new head unit (Parrot RK8200) only to find that the bloody thing wouldn't fit. I replaced it with a Pioneer DEH3100UB (because it was cheap from JB HIFI!), I added a TomTom car kit for the iPhone and the whole setup works a treat in my trusty 99 Forte,

The only problem I have now is that I no longer have steering control over the audio. I bought a PAC SWI-PS control unit from BDL car stereo in Fyshwick who offered to fit it for a $150 or so. Thinking it wasn't too hard for a motor mechanic (me!) I decided to do it myself. They gave me some intructions but upon trying to fit it I find that the instructions are either wrong or my car is!

The instructions I have are as follows:
"Ford AU series 1 only.
PS interface white wire to brown on car. Black/white on car to ground.
Interface Ver 8"

There are no Brown wires either in the steering controls (above) or on the loom on the steering column. Nor can I find a Black/white wire.

I've moved on from the ACT so going back to BDL is no longer an option. The car is a Jun 99 Forte so is a Series 1 update (front power windows). I assume the info is wrong because of that little detail.

I want to do this now because I'm travelling from Launceston to Newcastle in 2 weeks and don't want to have to reach over to adjust volume or change inputs. Once I'm in Newcastle I'll be back in a workshop with auto electricians who'll be able to help but thats a little late.

Has anyone else out there in fordforums-land ever done this? Any ideas?

Old 26-12-2010, 11:39 PM   #2
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I haven't installed one but there are a couple of pics in this thread

http://222.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11295688
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2010, 11:56 PM   #3
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. check the unused wires at rear of the stereo on the car side of the loom. Series 1 has a red wire with white trace and series 2 has a red wire with a black trace. what you really needed to get was an austrailian product called a "cat 10 interface" http://www.thecat.net.au/cat10.htm which suits both AU series 1 and series 2&3 as well. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Or just stick in one CD with 100 MP3s on it for the drive to newcastle, and then get it fixed there.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #5
redimon
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
I haven't installed one but there are a couple of pics in this thread

http://222.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11295688
Thanks for that. I followed the instructions in that thread with the exception of the version number which turned out to be ver 8 for my Falcon. I now have steering control over my car audio and am very happy!
Old 28-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
fordlover
FORD-LOVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by redimon
Thanks for that. I followed the instructions in that thread with the exception of the version number which turned out to be ver 8 for my Falcon. I now have steering control over my car audio and am very happy!
my sister's got the same head unit in her skyline, they are very good!