Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 31-10-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Default gearbox somehow changed from 1st to reverse at 60kmph

anyone else have that problem lol?

coming into a street, geared down to 1st, entered street (made sure i was straightend, floored it to 60kmph(60zone), gearbox went from 1st gear straight into reverse once i hit 60kmph. feeling sideways, i floored it more, little did i know i was in reverse and it was wheel spinning in reverse.. i was either going to hit the car turning into the street on the other end, or i was gonna hit the gutter.. so it was the gutter and now the rim is screwed probably buckeld cause i hit it sideways... :(... inspected the site, 2 black marks about 10 metres, straight for the gutter.

basically during when i was wheel spinning in reverse, rear end was goin side ways (and in forward motion, car momentum slowed down and i was like wtf mate so instinct was to back off, then it started axle hopping lol)

anyone else experienced this mystery?

kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 07:07 PM   #2
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

1st to reverse at 60 should mean box guts end up on the road... Or at least this is the case for VX commodores showing off outside university exam venues :P
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 07:12 PM   #3
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

lol i was lucky on this one, only problem is maybe a broke msomething in the rear cause sometimes i take off and it feels like it grab walks a bit (or sags at the rear left) ohh well i'll get bashing the car until it comes good.
Old 31-10-2006, 07:15 PM   #4
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

You are the Dr Nick Riviera of motorists. Bashing a car with a hurt gearbox won't make it "come good", BTRs don't equate to Christ (where after crucifying it it'll come good a few days later).

I'm still skeptical about your box surviving a 1st to reverse ordeal at 60kph.
Old 31-10-2006, 07:17 PM   #5
LUXO_8
windsor user

"if" this has happened, your transmission will be rooted........
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 07:21 PM   #6
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

well i can show anyone the skid marks.. the rear locked up at first i thought it was my diff.. i look down and it somehow was in reverse so i dunno what happend, thats like saying people won't survive falling out of a plane .. but people have survived ~ my gearbox could be a 'rar' one lol you know, everyone says 'freak engines' why not 'freak gearboxs''
Old 31-10-2006, 07:22 PM   #7
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
You are the Dr Nick Riviera of motorists. Bashing a car with a hurt gearbox won't make it "come good", BTRs don't equate to Christ (where after crucifying it it'll come good a few days later).

I'm still skeptical about your box surviving a 1st to reverse ordeal at 60kph.
sorry i was being [insert] sarcastic [/insert] .. damn internet hey
Old 31-10-2006, 07:24 PM   #8
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Sounds like you knocked it into reverse, and you were doing well below 60 in order for the box to survive.
Old 31-10-2006, 07:28 PM   #9
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

well i dunno how i could knock it in reverse if i have two hands on the steering wheel, i can't see me even putting it in reverse even if i had my hand on the gearstick.

my mate did the same thing in an nc, but he did it on purpos to see what happends, and his stalled, he didn't give any accelerater, i did(read above)
Old 31-10-2006, 07:30 PM   #10
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Mate it's pretty easy to knock it into reverse by accident. So... you had the stick alllllll the way back in "1" position. You had both hands on the wheel. T-bar magically makes its way to "R" by itself?

I think one of your hands was definitely not gripping the steering wheel.
Old 31-10-2006, 07:33 PM   #11
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
Mate it's pretty easy to knock it into reverse by accident. So... you had the stick alllllll the way back in "1" position. You had both hands on the wheel. T-bar magically makes its way to "R" by itself?

I think one of your hands was definitely not gripping the steering wheel.
agreed...........something isnt adding up kyro,

it cant happen
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 07:34 PM   #12
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

there is no way i could put it from first into reverse without knowing it.. this all happend in like 10 seconds !! and why would i do it on purpose its not like i have money growing off tree's .. so what you think would normally happen? copression lockup? gearbox dead? maybe engine?

i guess i have a "rar gearbox" lol eitherway..
Old 31-10-2006, 07:34 PM   #13
niko
likes falcon's

should have stalled?
Old 31-10-2006, 07:36 PM   #14
XRated
Shoot.

If you were manually changing gears, it sounds like you f*cked up. I had a drunk friend put mine into park when I was driving at about 30-40km/h and the car just lost power steering (may have stalled, but I can't remember). Started up no worries and drove fine.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 07:37 PM   #15
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

No, I meant you could've accidentally thrown it into reverse. I nearly did that once when moving from "1" to "D" quickly with the original T-bar setup. I overshot "D", hit "N" and almost hit "R".
Old 31-10-2006, 07:39 PM   #16
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

eitherway i'm standing by what i have said, i was there.. i know what happend, it didn't stall, it was goin sideways in a forward motion (momentum of vehicle slowing down at same time) at the same time i had accelerator near floor.. then i backed off and wheels started hopping... looked down and it was in reverse, so perhaps my gearbox is already screwed or there was a ghost in my car that somehow wanted to play wid me.

i left it in 1st though - only time i changed it was from reverse back to drive lol, i had both hands on steering because i suspected the car would flick out a bit, even though i didn't want it to, or expect it to.. it didn't.. than i was busy 2 hands trying to control it.

if what i said didn't happen.. IF cause i know what happend, but what else could cause both rear wheels to lock up then start hopping (no handbrake) ??
Old 31-10-2006, 07:41 PM   #17
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

None of what you says makes sense. For the momentum of the vehicle to want to make the **** overtake the front, you need to be *accelerating* from the rear (in the same direction as the car is travelling, or within 90* of this direction)

Or having the front slowing down at a great rate of knots while the rear is powering on. Forwards.
Old 31-10-2006, 07:47 PM   #18
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

i wasn't drifting, it was a general sideways..not over the top sideways...so i was still in my side of the road

keep in mind, the rear did lock up... and i thought was goin sideways, so i gave it some 'stick' then it went even more sideways, but momentum slowed down and the car felt as if it wanted to backwards

dunno how i can explain this any more clearly, other then what i've said.. i really can't think of what else could of happend
Old 31-10-2006, 07:54 PM   #19
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

It should still want to straighten up, not kick out.
Old 31-10-2006, 07:57 PM   #20
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Dave is right. It will not go sideways if you plant it in reverse while moving forward.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 07:58 PM   #21
MADED-6
MADED.6

dam man thats a rare btr for sure i wouldnt have a clue how itd go from 1st to r but thats freaky.
cheers josh.
MADED-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 07:59 PM   #22
MADED-6
MADED.6

and if u have lsd go to ur car put it in reverse and spin the wheels it kicks out a bit.
MADED-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 08:00 PM   #23
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Do you spin your wheels in reverse?
Old 31-10-2006, 08:07 PM   #24
BlackLS

Perhaps you gearbox mount was stuffed. Like you see on taxis with the gearstick moving 5cm forward and backward under acceleration and brakeing
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 08:09 PM   #25
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Perhaps you gearbox mount was stuffed. Like you see on taxis with the gearstick moving 5cm forward and backward under acceleration and brakeing
Huh? The lock out would still stop it from going into reverse.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 08:10 PM   #26
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

it wouldn't straighten up... it locked up.. you can see the wheels were skipping (by looking at the skid marks - just went and had another look) skid mark then gutter, then another skid mark coming away from gutter on angle..

well i can't think of how it would go from 1st to reverse apart from me physically do it.. why would i want to put it in reverse for lol...

and i've had my car in reverse and it steps out a bit... not much but a bit
Old 31-10-2006, 08:11 PM   #27
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Huh? The lock out would still stop it from going into reverse.
actually mine will only lock if i sit and fittle with it, button is stuffed or something..

my shifter does move a bit, bit too much probably... but anyways
Old 31-10-2006, 08:12 PM   #28
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyro_02
eitherway i'm standing by what i have said, i was there.. i know what happend, it didn't stall, it was goin sideways in a forward motion (momentum of vehicle slowing down at same time) at the same time i had accelerator near floor.. then i backed off and wheels started hopping... looked down and it was in reverse, so perhaps my gearbox is already screwed or there was a ghost in my car that somehow wanted to play wid me.

i left it in 1st though - only time i changed it was from reverse back to drive lol, i had both hands on steering because i suspected the car would flick out a bit, even though i didn't want it to, or expect it to.. it didn't.. than i was busy 2 hands trying to control it.

if what i said didn't happen.. IF cause i know what happend, but what else could cause both rear wheels to lock up then start hopping (no handbrake) ??
So you admit you were giving it stick? If you had the accellerator near the floor, the bloody thing would be revving its tits off and you would be ready to flick it to 2nd or drive. Sounds like you went one too far and hit Reverse.

But I guess the gear box mount could be so loose that it flicked the stick 100mm forward - with the button pushed in (Casper the friendly ghost in your car) and hit Reverse.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 08:15 PM   #29
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
So you admit you were giving it stick? If you had the accellerator near the floor, the bloody thing would be revving its tits off and you would be ready to flick it to 2nd or drive. Sounds like you went one too far and hit Reverse.

But I guess the gear box mount could be so loose that it flicked the stick 100mm forward - with the button pushed in (the ghost in your car) and hit Reverse.

nonono

BEFORE i entered the street i had already put it in 1st as i come around the corner.. it was in first ...

i STRAIGHTEND the car up... i flogged it, i DIDN'T flog it going around the corner... it then it suddenly locked up i thought i was going sideways(cause it locked up, but little did i know the shifter said it was in reverse..... so i flat footed(before i found out it was in reverse) it and it was goin in the motion i previously stated.
Old 31-10-2006, 08:18 PM   #30
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mate its quite possible to do this wih=thout blowing box,
i did it 3 times at over 100kmh in my old xy with worked 302 clevo and Toughened c4.\
due to Mr Gasket shifter that had worn parts so when i banged it up to 3rd it went straight into reverse ,total burnout in reverse as car was still going forward on HWY, each time made adjustments and it would go great for a month or so then do it again. eventually i tossed shifter on ebay and installed stock type. never blew my C4 ,
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post