Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 12-03-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
underthunder
They were already there..

Default Extractors or exhaust?

Well, as the title says... I can get extractors or exhaust, which one would give me the most hp for a first mod?

Old 12-03-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

in my (not so) professional opinion, they should really be done at once. That said, an exhaust will make a decent difference on its own, and the note will be better than having extractors and a stock exhaust.

My car will be getting a 2.5" exhaust before anything else (bar the head gasket) gets replaced, whether I can find extractors or not.

cya
Ben
BLSTIC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 03:44 PM   #3
EA Ghia

As said before, you really need to do both at once to get the most out of them. If you really had to do one without the other, go the exhaust. You won't notice a whole lot of performance, but you'll get a nicer exhaust note. If you go the extractors, they don't really get enough room to breathe without a bigger exhaust.
EA Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 03:51 PM   #4
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah. Its kinda like asking for a smoothie straw at maccas and half covering the end of it.
BLSTIC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 04:31 PM   #5
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

i would do the extractors first, due to the fact that if you get the exhaust first it will have to be chopped and modified to have the extractors fitted. If you do the extractors first the exhaust can be made to suit at a later date. Also in my experience doing either one on its own isnt going to make a huge power difference

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in
El Venom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 04:42 PM   #6
underthunder

I know that doing them individually won't change much, but I don't have the money to do both atm. Also I'm pretty sure it's the cat that gets modified, not the exhaust. So either way the cat can be modified to suit, longer at one end than the other or visa versa.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:48 PM   #7
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

the cat doesnt get modified. the length of the factory manifold and extractors is different, so the cat would be moved but the exhaust pipe will be different. I have and el with a cat back sports exhaust and the extractors are shorter then the factory manifold, so when i get the extractors installed they need to chop the pipe and modify a new one to have enough length to get it to line up and lift the cat closer to the floor for more clearence

Factory v8 with turbonetics 67mm turbo, haltech ecu, aeromotive and raceworks fuel system, cobra intake and a few custom bits thrown in
El Venom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 04:56 PM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by daendo
the cat doesnt get modified. the length of the factory manifold and extractors is different, so the cat would be moved but the exhaust pipe will be different. I have and el with a cat back sports exhaust and the extractors are shorter then the factory manifold, so when i get the extractors installed they need to chop the pipe and modify a new one to have enough length to get it to line up and lift the cat closer to the floor for more clearence
Not true, no modification of the cat back system is required when fitting extractors. When extractors are fitted it is the cat that gets modified as the stock cat has a front pipe that goes up into the engine bay. Also aftermarket extractors are longer than the stock manifold on an EL, the length is in the cat set up.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 05:01 PM   #9
Krytox
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd do the extractors first.
Stock factory cat back exhaust flows very well.
However, once you fit the headers, you can do anything you want with the cat back and even fit it urself.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:29 PM   #10
underthunder

I understand how it is all set up. The cat is shortened and flanges are welded on so the longer pipe on the extractors can go down under the car to the cat and bolt on. I was just asking what you guys think would give me the most hp. Its basically my first mod other than an XH snorkel. I dont care for sound atm, sound can come later. I need grunt! :P Didn't mean for a right and wrong match, just a few opinions
Old 12-03-2007, 07:33 PM   #11
[EDGHIA]
Banned

i wreckon start with a 2.5" cat back..... if you have extractors going to a 2" exhaust i wont have a big change...... but atleast with the cat back it sounds good and will add a bit of power..... or why dont you just change the cam if you only want power???
[EDGHIA] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 07:39 PM   #12
underthunder

I just found this on eBay. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Sports-Exhaus...QQcmdZViewItem Anyone know if this stuff looks any good? I'm a bit iffy on things unless I know it's a good brand. (Advance extractors, never heard of 'em, looks like a factory cat, and no idea what the exhaust is other than it's 2½".) It's either this stuff or I go to the shop pay the extra dosh for the 2½" cat back and Pacemaker extractors brand new, that way I know exactly what I'm getting.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #13
underthunder

[EDGHIA] I'll be getting a regrind, eventually, only thing holding me back is the postage cost and pulling the cam out to send down, along with the bullshit that comes with it.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:43 PM   #14
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Exhaust first personally.

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 07:48 PM   #15
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Do cat back exhaust first, then get the extractors later on.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:53 PM   #16
underthunder

Ok cool... I think it will be the zorst first. $280 fitted. Thanks heaps guys, I'm still learning
Old 12-03-2007, 08:01 PM   #17
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Personally id wait till you have the coin for both exhaust and extractors. You will notice a huge difference as opposed to doing the two seperately. Nice car by the way, not much different to mine.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 08:09 PM   #18
underthunder

Sure, its a good idea, but if I get the exhaust now, ill have some extra noise and a little bit more power until I get the cash to put the extractors on. I wont be losing any power or anything, I just don't get the whole package until later. Oh and thanks You're the first person to say that my completely stock car is nice :
Old 12-03-2007, 08:18 PM   #19
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

No worries mate. I did say 'personally' but my 1st choice would be to do the exhaust first also, as extractors on a stock exhaust IMO would be like pushing sxxx uphill with a pointed stick.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:07 PM   #20
jjj

I am running pacemaker extractors, 2.5in high flow cat and a mercury 2.25in sports exhaust. The smaller exhaust works a hell alot better than the 2.5in redback one i had on previously.

Gained accleration down low and lost nothing up top.

Just remember that when they bolt up the sports exhaust it will be attached to a 2.25in pipe and flange from the back of the cat.

cheers...

Pacemaker 4499's
Megaflow 2.5in Cat
X-Force 2.5in Sports Exhaust
Champion STEEL igntion leads
K&N panel filter, EL GT Snorkel, modified airbox
16in Speedy Holotype-R mags on 225 tyres
jjj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 10:34 PM   #21
underthunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjj
I am running pacemaker extractors, 2.5in high flow cat and a mercury 2.25in sports exhaust. The smaller exhaust works a hell alot better than the 2.5in redback one i had on previously.

Gained accleration down low and lost nothing up top.

Just remember that when they bolt up the sports exhaust it will be attached to a 2.25in pipe and flange from the back of the cat.

cheers...
I don't understand how that works... Bigger pipes=Higher flow=More power. How did you gain more grunt with a smaller exhaust?
Old 12-03-2007, 11:12 PM   #22
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAIIFalconS
I don't understand how that works... Bigger pipes=Higher flow=More power. How did you gain more grunt with a smaller exhaust?
Back pressure can also be beneficial.
Old 13-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #23
ebfalcon13.5
grey bumperz

exhaust + extracters makes low end a dog
Old 14-03-2007, 11:09 PM   #24
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

my mate has had a 2.5" on his ED for a while and got pacemakers a week ago. it had 93rwkw last month and all going well it will be back on the dyno tommorow with a reset ECU.

Standard = 99.6rwkw <!> 2.5" SuperCat cat back exhaust, Wade 1636 cam, K&N boxed pod (new dyno required
Sony headunit, splits, 6.5"s and 2 x 12" with response precision amp = 135.5 dB

Daily = Ae82 '85 corolla Fwd :togo: , 5 speed, 12" sub, 6x9's, green LED's

the course i am studying: http://www.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/01_courses/course.jsp?id=AUR30905NANA
CaRtZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post