Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 16-03-2007, 09:21 PM   #1
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Default More power from CPFI

I know im gonna be bagged big time for this thread, but just to be different i would like to hear some opinions as to how to get a bit more power from CPFI without converting to MPFI. Not saying i wanna do these mods but it would be good to hear WITHOUT THE BAGGING, just what you guys think can be done to the ol 3.9 CPFI. Thanks.

Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2007, 10:32 PM   #2
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I guess there's no reason why extractors and the usual mods wouldn't give you any more power. You might be able to get away with a mild cam upgrade as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2007, 10:34 PM   #3
frd_crzer
:D:D

if u want to go a mild cam go the 1838 mild wade cam
Old 16-03-2007, 10:36 PM   #4
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

yes, as kenaz stated, usual mods, exhaust, cam, extractors, and maybe xr6 head will give a great performance upgrade. also high performance spark plugs and leads too. cam, id recomend the wade 1636 as a start. this will get you up past the stock mpfi with exhaust people.

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2007, 10:37 PM   #5
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

what the hell is an 1838?

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2007, 10:52 PM   #6
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthofan
what the hell is an 1838?
I was just about to ask the same question. Thanks for the feedback too. I only drive it 20 mins to work and 20 mins home, 8 days a month so i dont see the point in going full on with it, just a little tickle would be nice. She is a 5 speed so its not too bad, just needs a little bit more down low. The 20 mins to work and back is mostly spent on Latrobe Terrace. Anyone who knows Geelong will know this is a pain in the ***. Ive owned the car for 15 mths and its only hit 95km/h once since ive owned it. Normally it only gets driven between 60-70km/h. It has done 148,000kms. Thanks again.

Last edited by EAadam; 16-03-2007 at 11:03 PM.
Old 16-03-2007, 10:57 PM   #7
frd_crzer
:D:D

i meant 1636 im that tired im to lazy to look over it sorry peoples
Old 16-03-2007, 11:06 PM   #8
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

No worries mate, im pretty much knackered myself. I work too much thats my problem.
Old 16-03-2007, 11:06 PM   #9
LUXO_8
windsor user

i recall back in the early days of the club, a guy modded up his CFI to the max, before doing the mpi conversion, as he was keen to see exactly how much the CFI setup chokes these cars.

he did cam, ported head, extractors, exhaust and manual......made something like 110 or 120rwkw.
then he did the MPI conversion and it made something mad like 158 or 168rwkw...

im not trying to sound like im bagging the setup, but it really isnt a good system....
ive got no idea whatso ever why ford made it available in 88, it kills any chance of making decent power, it doesnt give you any fuel economy, whats the point?

i guess you could go and put a cam in, and put some extractors on if that floats your boat, but i know what my first mod will be when i get my ea......
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2007, 11:18 PM   #10
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

I totally agree. And i know that whatever i do it will always be 20-30kw down compared to MPFI. But for the amount of time that i drive it, i just really cant be fxxxxx doing the MPFI conversion. (havent got time anyway, between work and family im flat out). I have most of the parts for the conversion (thanks heljas) but yeah, time will tell.
Old 17-03-2007, 12:14 AM   #11
BigDaddy
Tampered Motorsport

Yeah I was running CFI in the race car, since the mpfi conversion it jasn't looked back, 3 seconds a lap at Winton and that was when it was missing with a crook lifter. The MPFI conversion is not that hard at all, I was surprised at how easy the conversion was, it was just a few technical issues that could have happened at any time that put me back, Oh and that PINK WIRE!! Grrrr
BigDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-03-2007, 08:30 AM   #12
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Your EA has only seen 95 once while you've owned it? And you want a little more down low?

Swap your 2.92 diff for something like a 3.23 (3.45 max) so that you can launch better yet still have a usable 1st gear (EA 1st gear ratio is something like 3.5:1?). It won't give you any more power but it'll give you more poke at lower speeds. The change in RPMs at cruising speed would be minimal since you're doing 100% city driving by the sounds of things. You'd lose a tiny amount of poke at highway speeds (I'm talking 100kph here) but since you're never doing those speeds, and since the launch more than makes up for it, it seems like a win/win mod for your EA

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post