Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-11-2006, 07:38 PM   #1
FRANCIS220
Starter Motor

Default Au Build Quality

Hi all i have a ba and an au xr8 and i have to say that while the ba is a great car as is the mighty au the build quality on the ba is nothing compared to the au in 2 years i have had numerous parts fall of panels move up and down just crap compared to au that in 5 years has had trouble free motoring where did ford go wrong from model to model on build.

FRANCIS220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 07:50 PM   #2
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRANCIS220
Hi all i have a ba and an au xr8 and i have to say that while the ba is a great car as is the mighty au the build quality on the ba is nothing compared to the au in 2 years i have had numerous parts fall of panels move up and down just crap compared to au that in 5 years has had trouble free motoring where did ford go wrong from model to model on build.
more plastic... same with any car nowadays I guess....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 07:50 PM   #3
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My dad has a BA XR6 Turbo, in 3 years its had 32 warranty claims. My AU2 Forte has had 2.. and that was door actuator, and central locking remotes.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 08:03 PM   #4
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Yeah my dads ba pursuit is in the workshop more than my ute.
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 08:07 PM   #5
EDXR65SPEED

I agree, Having started my apprenticeship on AU3, I found the BA internal triming quality to be that of a lower standard. As always the new model always has many flaws and quality issues. BF-BF2 seem to be much better than BA-BA2.
EDXR65SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 08:09 PM   #6
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

I think it comes down to the bottom line $$$$$

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 08:33 PM   #7
wesomc

being a ford mechanic i would have to say there was alot of big changes made between AU and BA (electric controls for HVAC, Engine changes (pretty much all new engines), new IRS, etc.) and there always seems to be problems when new technologies are implemented. That's why i bought an AUII not an early BA and saved some coin both ways...
wesomc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 08:40 PM   #8
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep. my AU was better built than my first BA....seems to be on par with my new BA.
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 08:45 PM   #9
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As BA's got later into the model did things improve? (im sure they did) in same way it would happen with AU's often less bugs as they get further into bild.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2006, 09:35 PM   #10
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quality of the AU wasn't that great. I've removed more dash panels from AU's than BA's for heater/A/C related issues, driveline clunk & diff chatter was far worse in AU's, common issues with pcm's where it though the engine was overheating when it wasn't, seat trims pilling, cushions collapsing, fuel sender faults in utes & wagons, leaking steering racks, knocking upper ball joints, failing radiator cores & so much more.
I think the BA is a more durable vehicle overall & its only problem with quality seems to be with Ford assembling the car properly in the first place, if they get that right then you will have a better car.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 01:18 AM   #11
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
Quality of the AU wasn't that great. I've removed more dash panels from AU's than BA's for heater/A/C related issues, driveline clunk & diff chatter was far worse in AU's, common issues with pcm's where it though the engine was overheating when it wasn't, seat trims pilling, cushions collapsing, fuel sender faults in utes & wagons, leaking steering racks, knocking upper ball joints, failing radiator cores & so much more.
I think the BA is a more durable vehicle overall & its only problem with quality seems to be with Ford assembling the car properly in the first place, if they get that right then you will have a better car.
I agree. Mine has more rattles than a babies cot!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 05:48 AM   #12
LOWAU

AU build quality is very very average (I didn't want to say crap). I have rust in a few places, especially in the boot and sills where you can see that there wasn't enough paint applied. I also get the dash rattles every now and then.

You just need to look at an European built cars to see and feel quality.

I know the falcon isn't priced accordingly but at least make sure enough paint is applied on the body so there is no rust.
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 09:29 AM   #13
tudor_01

My new BF is no where near the build quality of the AUII I have not long sold. Paint and panel issues mainly............ :
tudor_01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2006, 09:30 AM   #14
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWAU
AU build quality is very very average (I didn't want to say crap). I have rust in a few places, especially in the boot and sills where you can see that there wasn't enough paint applied. I also get the dash rattles every now and then.

You just need to look at an European built cars to see and feel quality.

I know the falcon isn't priced accordingly but at least make sure enough paint is applied on the body so there is no rust.
Start saving for that Euro car then! LOL!

For what we pay, I don't think you can do much better for value than an Aussie 6.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 02:01 AM   #15
LOWAU

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Start saving for that Euro car then! LOL!

For what we pay, I don't think you can do much better for value than an Aussie 6.

GK
Your 100% correct here, I guess the cars are built to the price that we pay for them. We get a whole lot of car for not a lot of money. :Reverend:

I'll be sticking with Aussie fords
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 02:19 AM   #16
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Australia produces the best value for money cars on the planet, where else could you buy a 5 seater car cranking out over 240kw and still get change from 50k??
RIPGMH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 08:23 AM   #17
wesomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
mmm...dunno about more dashes out in AU's than BA's, have had one AU dash out for a heater core leak and thats it, BA's however i have had many a dash out (snapped blend shafts, heater core leaks, damaged wiring looms, etc), driveline probs have prob been on par, radiators leaking still happens (seem to see more trans cooler failures in BA), fuel sender in utes haven't changed, BA steering racks still leak (not to menton that f#*%$! annoying click!), the list goes on......
wesomc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 07:23 PM   #18
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

AU is the Way to Go , BA is a Sheep Mobile

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 07:26 PM   #19
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

hate to say it but given sales figures I'm guessing they got to spend WAY more time on each AU compared to BA's : Lets face it, when the demand isnt as high they get to tighten the bolts better cause they have time to do it

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 08:08 PM   #20
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
hate to say it but given sales figures I'm guessing they got to spend WAY more time on each AU compared to BA's : Lets face it, when the demand isnt as high they get to tighten the bolts better cause they have time to do it
LOL well said Casper, i agree 100%, i had this discussion with a member on here about the build quility of a T-Series compared to FPV's and i reminded him that they build as many FPV's in a day as they probably did in two weeks with the T3's.

All our AU and BA falcons have had good build quality about on par from our experience.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2006, 09:18 PM   #21
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesomc
mmm...dunno about more dashes out in AU's than BA's, have had one AU dash out for a heater core leak and thats it, BA's however i have had many a dash out (snapped blend shafts, heater core leaks, damaged wiring looms, etc), driveline probs have prob been on par, radiators leaking still happens (seem to see more trans cooler failures in BA), fuel sender in utes haven't changed, BA steering racks still leak (not to menton that f#*%$! annoying click!), the list goes on......
What about failing heater fans & blend door motors in AU? LCD displys on high series climate control failing, vacuum leaks in HVAC switches. I'm not defending the BA here but a lot of the BA issues are now fixed, AU's are still suffering reoccuring faults, probably due to lack of thorough testing when the car was developed.
AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post