Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-04-2006, 01:00 AM   #1
OZFORDAU
Banned

Post Rough Gas idling with new K & N air-filter and Tickford air in-take

Hey,

My car seems to be running really rough on gas (LPG) since i installed the new K & N air-filter and Tickford air-intake today, it seems to be idling very very roughly on gas when ever im stopped at lights or anywhere! I haven't tried it on petrol yet! But i will tomrrow!

Does anyone know if the new air-intake and air-filter would affect the idling? Does the car have to be tuned on gas again because of the new air-intake and filter?????

Cheers

Simon :

(Thanks to those who donated the air-filter and in-take to me! You know who you are :voldar02: )

OZFORDAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 01:34 AM   #2
Jimmeh

hello

have you tried resetting your ECU?
other than that, maybe your leads and/or sparks are on there way out, but it could be many things. But seeing as though you upgraded your air intake, it could be your throttlebody that needs a clean out.

Cheers
Jimmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 09:48 AM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

Id say the ECU will take a couple of hundred K's to re-learn. Same thing happened with mine. I dont see why though when they are only minimal adjustments.
Old 24-04-2006, 10:46 AM   #4
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

I dont know much about Gas, but wouldnt you need to get the Gas Retuned. The gas (If aftermarket dual fuel) runs its own computer that needs to be retuned. This happened to my dad landcruiser when he replaced the stock standard paper filter (Dirty) with a new stock standard paper filter. Just the increase in airflow sent the gas crazy until he got a re-tune. If its straigh gas or dual fuel from factory then i assume it runs through ecu so maybe resetting will help. But i do know an increase in air flow can send them crazy.
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 11:18 AM   #5
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Simon,

Give me a call, I think I may be able to help you here!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 12:26 PM   #6
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by autickfordfairmont
I dont know much about Gas, but wouldnt you need to get the Gas Retuned. The gas (If aftermarket dual fuel) runs its own computer that needs to be retuned. This happened to my dad landcruiser when he replaced the stock standard paper filter (Dirty) with a new stock standard paper filter. Just the increase in airflow sent the gas crazy until he got a re-tune. If its straigh gas or dual fuel from factory then i assume it runs through ecu so maybe resetting will help. But i do know an increase in air flow can send them crazy.
I just swapped my 73mm Vortec MAF back to the standard 55/60mm one on the XR8. Couldn't see the point of having such a large MAF, when I have the 55mm mixer ring restricting airflow at the TB. Anyway, it idles better, but now runs out of fuel at high RPM (ie when flooring it, and changing from 1st to second, it's almost like you've dipped the clutch when it;s changing - it loses that much power)
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 03:43 PM   #7
Stevexr6

I have a similar but opposite problem.I recently installed a new exhaust system that seems to have given me a couple of kws but now it idles really high(900- 1000).I just assumed it would need a re-tune. Any ideas?
Stevexr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 03:50 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevexr6
I have a similar but opposite problem.I recently installed a new exhaust system that seems to have given me a couple of kws but now it idles really high(900- 1000).I just assumed it would need a re-tune. Any ideas?
If the idle quality and feel of the tune is good (that is: if the car pulls cleanly and strong from idle, and when generally cruising, with good throttle response) then manually turn down the idle to about 800 rpm.

That's what I'd do.

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 03:54 PM   #9
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

It really depends on the convertor you are using.. Some have two adjustments, a mixture screw and a sensitivity screw.. The increased volume of air might now mean the convertor needs some tweaking to match up .. Some convertors have NO manual adjustment.. Do you have a balance line fitted, did you bump it or change its position?

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2006, 04:37 PM   #10
OZFORDAU
Banned

Post Gas but not petrol

I tested it today and the car seems to only idle roughly on gas (LPG) but not petrol! Hmm i think a tune is what it needs! It's an after market set-up not a factory fit!

Cheers

Simon
Old 24-04-2006, 10:09 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my mate cut holes in his airbox on his el (it ran poorly afterwards on lpg) he had to get it tuned again
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 09:44 AM   #12
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

because you were using a Paper Filter , not as much air was flowing through and hitting the gas , now with the K&N with its hyper Pourous design , 66% more air is going throuhg the airbox and hitting the gas , the reason it doesnt happen with petrol as its a Liquid and more heavy .

but thats gas for you , BBQs and Mazdas Only !!

Cheers lol
Daniel

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 01:32 PM   #13
OZFORDAU
Banned

Default Makes sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR_AU
because you were using a Paper Filter , not as much air was flowing through and hitting the gas , now with the K&N with its hyper Pourous design , 66% more air is going throuhg the airbox and hitting the gas , the reason it doesnt happen with petrol as its a Liquid and more heavy .

but thats gas for you , BBQs and Mazdas Only !!

Cheers lol
Daniel
Makes sense!
Old 25-04-2006, 08:10 PM   #14
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

i know , cos im smat , i mean smart

Old 25-04-2006, 08:40 PM   #15
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

This one's got me interested, tell us how you go with it OzFordAU, im thinking of getting a tickford intake and K&N for my AU.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 08:49 PM   #16
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

makes a bit of a difference , but its not going to be like , WHOA BOOST , especially with LPG , Little bit more Throttle Response with the Extra Intake and Airflow !

Still Runs Alright though !! , GO GO GO

Old 27-04-2006, 11:15 PM   #17
OZFORDAU
Banned

Talking GAS problem solved!

Solved it! The petrol was on empty and thats why the car was running roughly! A couple of people told me not to let the petrol reading drop more then quater empty!

So i filled the petrol and gas up and its perrrfect! LOL get it Perrr....Ok bad jk lol! But it's good now!

Cheer

Simon :nutsycuck