Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 16-08-2005, 11:29 PM   #1
AUII_Forte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry Damn T5 and 3rd Gear!!

Do any of you guys have any tips for finding 3rd @ WOT???

The XR6 T5 in my EF makes it extremely difficult not to mention embarrasing!!

The synchro on 3rd is a bit worn, it grinds into gear occassionally when changed on redline. This doesn't really cause a problem though, it's finding the bloody gear. A quick change from 2nd usually results in 5th, 1st or slamming the limiter hard right at a crucial moment!

It's still got the stock shifter and the box is in really good nick except for the synchro, but I really don't think the synchro is what's causing the problem. Would a short shifter or something help??

Pacemaker 4490 Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
High Flow Cat
SS Inductions "Growler" CAI
Underdrive Pulley
Mal Wood H/D Clutch
Custom Tune
18" XHP Sabre's
12" Kicker Sub
169.2 rwkw
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2005, 11:58 PM   #2
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shorted shifter seemed to make it a bit easier for me. I cant say I really had much trouble finding 3rd to begin with though.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2005, 10:14 AM   #3
TUFED6
Banned

Make up some Nolathane Engine/Trans mounts.

I reckon half the problem is when you've got it flat in 2nd the motor/trans are leaning over- and when you take your foot off the gas to grab third the motor returns to a more upright position and suddenly third isn't where you thought it was anymore.

I've limited the amount of flex my mounts will permit but its still not perfect.

- John
TUFED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2005, 02:58 PM   #4
sr180
Starter Motor

Also try some Redline synthetic gearbox oil.. Works wonders on worn boxes. Expensive though.
sr180 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2005, 03:16 PM   #5
NC_Steve
She needs premium dude...

I removed the two bushes inbetween the stick and the shifter. Mainly because they were worn and there was slack in the gear stick. I have driven a mates EB with them in and think without them is much better.
NC_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2005, 03:31 PM   #6
Pilch
X-Series Club Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFED6
Make up some Nolathane Engine/Trans mounts.

I reckon half the problem is when you've got it flat in 2nd the motor/trans are leaning over- and when you take your foot off the gas to grab third the motor returns to a more upright position and suddenly third isn't where you thought it was anymore.

I've limited the amount of flex my mounts will permit but its still not perfect.

- John
Interesting.... I wasn't satisfied with the way my T5 was mounted under the XC, and changed the mount from the original style to a X-Series style mount which uses two bolts to the cross member instead of the original one bolt.....

*Maybe* it has been easier to shift into 3rd since than, maybe it's just fluke that it coincided with the time it took to get used to the box.... interesting though!
Pilch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2005, 10:28 PM   #7
SileNceR
02/90 EA II Fairmont

my old box was fine, just lightly push it upwards and it should spring to center and find third by itself... I only ever had trouble when i was trying to move it across and up, kept hitting the gates..
Old 18-08-2005, 11:22 PM   #8
neb
hibernating

I sometimes have trouble getting it into second gear... but 3rd I always get.

John how did you limit the amount of flex in your mounts. I'm using all ford mounts that are only 6months old.. and my engine and gearbox tend to move a decent amount at WOT
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2005, 09:35 AM   #9
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Check the condition of the engine/box mounts.

Rick.
Old 19-08-2005, 09:39 AM   #10
AUII_Forte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll check the mounts out on the weekend.

Pacemaker 4490 Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
High Flow Cat
SS Inductions "Growler" CAI
Underdrive Pulley
Mal Wood H/D Clutch
Custom Tune
18" XHP Sabre's
12" Kicker Sub
169.2 rwkw
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post