Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 25-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Default Ford Image?

ok my first post and i can be a bit of a spastic at times so i hope this works.

my brother is desperate to buy a 60-something VW Kombi. I agree with him when he says they are one of the coolest cars around, in there own special way.

i originally tried to talk him into buying a EF or EL XR6 (provisional license) but the deciding factor was that he is convinced that all Falcons are bogan's cars. Period. :

Now i strongly disagree with that point, and personally believe that commondores are the boganiest cars around, with the exception of possibly a holden panel van.

does anybody else feel the same way?

i was going to make a poll, but couldnt figure out how to set the options, so just reply.

If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
Old 25-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
Scott

First post and a brand new word "boganiest" - welcome.
Old 25-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
seduced_xr
BF XR6

mate its no doubt the commodore is the bogans car. fair enough this is a ford forum and you would expect that kind of answer from me right? well wrong

i have :
2001 VX commodore S pack
2007 BF 2 Falcon xr6
1996 EF 2 falcon

most of the crap you see on the news and with your very own eyes is young guys in commodores. you do see it in falcons to but not nearly as much

when i drive my commodore (v6 debadged with a SS spoiler on it ) theres always people looking at you expecting you to do something. i rekon the media is half the commodores image problem.

on the other note my brother (just got off P plates) was pulled over for every random booze bus and drug test in the EF falcon.

now moving onto your next point, u said hes a P plater and wants to buy a 60s van.. surely he cant expect that this is going to run trouble free. can he afford to keep an old car. im talking fuel service rego and everything thats bound to go wrong with it

the EF hasnt been problem free tho. we are the first owners and it slowly made its way through the family and in its whole life time its had a radiator 2 batterys and a few months back an incident where almost every part in the brake system failed (about $1000 on that )

still for a car thats about 13 - 14 years old the EF has been a great car and we look foward to atleast another 300 000 out of it.
BA Falcon XR6 [JS92WA]in Winter White, 6 Speed ZF - BF Tail Lights, Pacemaker Twin 2.5" catback DBA Gold Series Rotors, 5% tint >>ITS BACK - The REBUILD IS ON, BF 2 Ghia 3v V8 5.4L, Full Fairmont Ghia Interior with FPV GTP seats,Boss Bonnet,BF Front End, DJR 302 Rear Wing, BF steering Column with BF ignition and FG keys, <<

2010 FG Falcon XR6 [XRLNT] in Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto - 15% Tint, Ipod, Bluetooth, Climate Control, custom plates, DJR 302 Wing
Old 25-03-2009, 10:53 PM   #4
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

Well when it comes to whether a Ford or Holden is a boganmobile or not, I think it comes down more or less on the vehicle itself. For instance, a neighbour of mine owns a VR Commodore, in a bright aqua colour (similar to Ford's recent Breeze color) with altezza taillights, 18 inch volt rims (those ones that look like they are made of plastic), stupid exhaust and ridiculously pointless stereo. Now I would suggest that is a real boganmobile, and if the same things had been done to a EF Falcon, I would still suggest that it is a bogan's ride.

That said, the bogan's do seem to prefer the Commodores, If your brother want's to keep away from the bogan look, maybe a nice EL Ghia would be a better solution than an XR. There are some nice unmolested Ghia's getting around.
Old 25-03-2009, 10:56 PM   #5
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Yep .... this'll end in tears. The ol' "Who's the biggest Bogan" thread pops up again!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 25-03-2009, 10:59 PM   #6
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldn't kid yourself thinking that a falcon isn't bogan-styles.

Both the Commo and the Falc share that title quite well...

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
Old 25-03-2009, 11:03 PM   #7
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
I wouldn't kid yourself thinking that a falcon isn't bogan-styles.

Both the Commo and the Falc share that title quite well...

agreed
If driving a ford makes me a bogun then so be it .Been called worse
Old 25-03-2009, 11:13 PM   #8
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Never see rubbish cars on ford cruises. See plenty on a Holden cruise. There is your answer. Don't believe me? Come to Adelaide... You'll see.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 25-03-2009, 11:14 PM   #9
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

thats exactly right snappy. if driving a ford makes me a bogan, thats a price im willing to pay.

and yes falcons are a little bogany (another new word?) but it seems to me that commondores are more so, particularly older ones. and the new VE looks like the back of a constipated rhino.

maybe its just me, but year for year, the falcon just seems a little more classy and tasteful than a commondore.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
Old 26-03-2009, 01:29 AM   #10
anto
Za Dom spremni

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWXR6
Never see rubbish cars on ford cruises. See plenty on a Holden cruise. There is your answer. Don't believe me? Come to Adelaide... You'll see.
i'll second that. I wont speak for anywhere else but here in adelaide, the words commodore and bogan go hand in hand. I see it almost everyday. Sure you get the odd idiot in a ford but without a doubt the scale tips heavily in the other direction.

I think a Vdub isnt a bad idea for a first car really if he is so inclined. It'll definately keep the heat off of him and he probably cant really do anything to stupid in it.... just getting a license and all...
AU III XR8 red ute
Old 26-03-2009, 06:52 AM   #11
prydey
Rob

tell him to get the combi. prices on those are going in the opposite direction falcons.
Old 26-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #12
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
Yep .... this'll end in tears. The ol' "Who's the biggest Bogan" thread pops up again!
How could you expect it not too...

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
Old 26-03-2009, 03:43 PM   #13
Hemicuda
IH8TOG

If he goes the combi make sure he gets a fire extinguisher and probably earplugs too. Saw one spontaeniously combust about a month ago sitting at the lights on a 36 degree day. I had to drive past it and the flames were nearly licking my car. Air cooled motors ought to be banned in Australia, well at least in summer.
Old 26-03-2009, 03:57 PM   #14
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buy an old school falcon and be a bogan with style, a classical bogan even.
Old 26-03-2009, 04:02 PM   #15
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemicuda
If he goes the combi make sure he gets a fire extinguisher and probably earplugs too. Saw one spontaeniously combust about a month ago sitting at the lights on a 36 degree day. I had to drive past it and the flames were nearly licking my car. Air cooled motors ought to be banned in Australia, well at least in summer.
These cars are air cooled so not the best vehicle in the warmer area's.
Old 26-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #16
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemicuda
yer im trying to talk him into mid mounting a turbo diesel V6 out of some sort of 4wd and putting the radiator in the back where the old motor used to be with some electric thermofans. hes allowed to have a turbo on his Ps in qld if its on a diesel.

he wants to keep it original tho. we'll see how long that lasts after he gets to the first hill.
Old 26-03-2009, 04:07 PM   #17
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Wait wait.

I know.

Who cares.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
Old 26-03-2009, 04:14 PM   #18
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Mid mounted, that reminds me:

There ya go! Whack one a' dem in yer Dak Dak.....

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 26-03-2009, 04:21 PM   #19
cheek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

two words:
VL Commodore...
Old 26-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #20
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
Wait wait.

I know.

Who cares.
if you dont care dont read it you clown.
Old 26-03-2009, 05:36 PM   #21
Saiken
Cobra Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheek
two words:
VL Commodore...
If your suggesting he buys one... thats crazy
and if your claiming its a bogans car, clearly the VN has to take the title before the VL, i mean some of the VL turbo's have class... There is one floating around in our project car section if im not mistaken.
FOR SALE1996 EF Series 2 Fairmont Ghia | Ported and Polished Head with Bigger Valves and Springs, Wade 1636, AU Head Gasket, 3.45 LSD, Shift Kitted Auto, RDA Slotted Rotors, QFM Performance Pads,Hornet Scooped Bonnet :evil3: , Custom CAI

Cobra Motorsports
Old 26-03-2009, 05:38 PM   #22
Saiken
Cobra Motorsports

and on the talk of transplanting an engine into it....

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=105740

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_gJII5bTfE

There is one in the 2005 Gumball 3000 thats running 911 i think running gear to....
FOR SALE1996 EF Series 2 Fairmont Ghia | Ported and Polished Head with Bigger Valves and Springs, Wade 1636, AU Head Gasket, 3.45 LSD, Shift Kitted Auto, RDA Slotted Rotors, QFM Performance Pads,Hornet Scooped Bonnet :evil3: , Custom CAI

Cobra Motorsports
Old 26-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #23
cheek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i meant they were bogan... because where i live all the bogans hav VL's
Old 26-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #24
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnedout
Mid mounted, that reminds me:

There ya go! Whack one a' dem in yer Dak Dak.....
absolutely perfect. thats exactly what i want to do with a diesel V6. much as i think a blown v8 would be pretty sweet, it aint exactly P plate legal. good to see someone can understand my twisted way of thinking.

a reasonable man adapts himself to his world. an unreasonable man tries to adapt his world to himself, therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.
Old 26-03-2009, 06:03 PM   #25
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Nothing wrong with the Vee Dub Kombie, that was my first car, had more fun in that thing than any car i have owned :

Bogans come in both "Fully siiiick" Falcoons and Dunnydoors :

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 26-03-2009, 06:07 PM   #26
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford have the "Its just a dirty Ford" stigmatism attached to them and they're seen as bogan cars. When I told my workmate his BMW X5 had a ZF 6 speed gearbox which Ford uses his reply was "Does that mean its going to break down?"

Then I was getting a ride with my Boss and we passed Ford Territory and his wife goes "Don't worry about that, its just a dity Ford".

Ford's problem isn't their cars, its their IMAGE. It takes a lot to improve image, your cars can be perfectly good, doesn't mean they'd sell.

P.S - let him get the VW, so what if its old and unreliable, it'll be a good lesson for him and we should all have fun while we're young
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Old 26-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #27
Withnail

Your brother, he is a hippie yes?

But seriously, it sounds like he is pretty image conscious, perhaps that's because of his age. Anyway a 1960s VW Kombi sounds like a pretty unsuitable first car from a safety, economy, reliability and value point of view.

Did they change to a water-cooled system in later years? If so, that would at least be better. Good luck in summer otherwise!
Old 26-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #28
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I drive a Falcon and I am a bogan.

If the shoe fits....

Oo\===/oO
Old 26-03-2009, 06:27 PM   #29
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withnail
Your brother, he is a hippie yes?

But seriously, it sounds like he is pretty image conscious, perhaps that's because of his age. Anyway a 1960s VW Kombi sounds like a pretty unsuitable first car from a safety, economy, reliability and value point of view.

Did they change to a water-cooled system in later years? If so, that would at least be better. Good luck in summer otherwise!
Mate your ignorance is glowing....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 26-03-2009, 06:41 PM   #30
XR6_190
BF XR6, oh yeah!!

I don't know about anybody else out there, but seriously, if people are putting the perceived "image" of a car, over things like, safety, economy, performance, comfort, and reliability, then they can drive what ever they want.

Also if they think the fact I drive a Falcon (or a commodore for that matter) immediately makes me a bogan, than I don't really take much interest in their opinion.
Closed Thread