Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-12-2008, 12:50 AM   #1
gtfpv
GT

Post Blue Typhoon In Accident Tonight King Georges Rd.

seen the aftermath of a huge accident on king georges road Homebush tonight. coming home from work . 3 cars involved and the typhoon looked the worst by far . the other cars were smaller cars , one hyundi excell the other a little bigger . but the typhoon was light blue and the whole front of the car was pushed into the fire wall. the road was obviously blocked police and tow trucks everywhere . possibly a fatality.
i felt bad , because the road was slightly wet with drizzle and it was misty rain. as soon as i saw the phoon , i thought , not surprised . sorry but it was my 1st thought .
i hope it wasnt anyone from the forums here . because it looked pretty ugly.

gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 02:52 AM   #2
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
seen the aftermath of a huge accident on king georges road Homebush tonight. coming home from work . 3 cars involved and the typhoon looked the worst by far . the other cars were smaller cars , one hyundi excell the other a little bigger . but the typhoon was light blue and the whole front of the car was pushed into the fire wall. the road was obviously blocked police and tow trucks everywhere . possibly a fatality.
i felt bad , because the road was slightly wet with drizzle and it was misty rain. as soon as i saw the phoon , i thought , not surprised . sorry but it was my 1st thought .
i hope it wasnt anyone from the forums here . because it looked pretty ugly.

For the F6 to come off worse than the Hyundai is a bit of a worry
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 06:56 AM   #3
JerseyVics
www.FPVregistry.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmale42
it probably wasn't the first car it hit...

hopefully everyone walked away. Accidents are no fun!
Old 30-12-2008, 07:19 AM   #4
axeray

I hope no one was seriously injured.
axeray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It happens, I've seen a BA XR6 sheared completely in half by a little hiace van.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 11:12 AM   #6
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was on the news this morning. No fatalities, the phoon crossed the median strip and collided with two cars travelling in the opposite direction, two people taken to hospital with moderate injuries.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 11:18 AM   #7
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

They've got some serious low rev - torque inducing sideways 'potential' in careless hands (even for just a split second) those boosted sixes.

Crossing the divider to hit on coming cars suggests she stepped out in a big way, poor bugger driving, at least everyone involved is moderately ok...

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 01:34 PM   #8
geehaa
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Doesn't that mean the car has done its job in absorbing the impact?
Stupid question?
geehaa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 01:40 PM   #9
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geehaa
Doesn't that mean the car has done its job in absorbing the impact?
Stupid question?
Yep, better the car crumple than the people inside. Cars can be replaced...

This seems to be an emerging trend this crossing the median and hitting oncoming cars on Sydney arterial roads. Lets hope they stop happening quick smart, however they are being caused.
Old 30-12-2008, 02:04 PM   #10
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
as soon as i saw the phoon , i thought , not surprised . sorry but it was my 1st thought .
Why do you say that?
Old 30-12-2008, 04:02 PM   #11
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inducted_Breeze
Why do you say that?
A 307kw turbo 6 is a lot more dangerous than a 307kw V8 due to the way it produces it power, especially the F6. A V8 will have a very linear power curve with power increasing as the revs rise, the F6, especially in FG guise, seems to have little to no power until 2500rpm, THEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE. If you add a light shower (worse than heavy rain, imho ) then the car becomes a weapon to a inexperienced driver.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #12
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Thanks Gobes32, thats not what i got from the statement (it didn't seem like he was making a reference to the power delivery of the F6 etc) so maybe i am just seeing things,

Cheers
Old 30-12-2008, 06:24 PM   #13
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are you assuming he meant "typical ford driver in high powered car he cannot handle"? Yeah, I thought he did too. I gave him the benefit of doubt.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 11:58 PM   #14
gtfpv
GT

hmmmmm i didnt think the hyundi excel had crossed the road and ran into the phoon . if that happened i'd of been surprised .

make of that what you think . if it had been a lambo, i wouldnt have been surprised either .
Old 31-12-2008, 12:09 AM   #15
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
A 307kw turbo 6 is a lot more dangerous than a 307kw V8 due to the way it produces it power, especially the F6. A V8 will have a very linear power curve with power increasing as the revs rise, the F6, especially in FG guise, seems to have little to no power until 2500rpm, THEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE. If you add a light shower (worse than heavy rain, imho ) then the car becomes a weapon to a inexperienced driver.

Having travelled 2500kms in my FG F6 I'd have to differ with your interpretation of the power delivery Gobes32.

My previous drive was a BF F6 with 300rwkw and I can assure you that all hell breaks loose in an FG (standard) right from the start. But a big difference is that the traction control actually works (as opposed to the BF) and controls the beast. I've tested it a couple of times and been caught applying correction (in anticipation) only to find it wasn't necessary.

The BF was a weapon in the hands of an inexperienced driver, but that description does not apply to the FG in my experience.

For the FG to snap sideways, one would have to have the TC turned off.
Perhaps that was the case in this accident.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 12:11 AM   #16
Transfiguring R

I bet that is exactly what he meant Gobes. I read it that way because I own an '05 Typhoon and on more than one occasion the back end has come out on roads that were nearly dry after a light shower. As soon as you climb up to 2000-2500 rpm anything can happen, and you can forget about traction control... It has never responded to this sort of thing for me ie., under very little throttle/light acceleration.

Mines also still stock...
Transfiguring R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 12:18 AM   #17
gtfpv
GT

the typhoon was a BF . I DONT THINK IT WOULD BE CONSIDERED highly unlikely under the circumstances that this happened . if anyone sees a smashed up f6 on a high traffic 80km hour highway that is riddled with traffic . what do you think there 1st thought would be ,. flat tyre.
Old 31-12-2008, 12:19 AM   #18
Luke3000

I thaught he meant just an inexperienced driver with a serious engine, calm down i sure gtfpv isnt barracking for the dark side...and i am sure he would have said the name thing be the car a aupra or something like that. Benefit of the doubt, thats what we are about.

This also raises a point why do some, if not most syndey drivers seem to be so erratic on the roads
Luke3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 01:04 AM   #19
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke3000
I thaught he meant just an inexperienced driver with a serious engine, calm down i sure gtfpv isnt barracking for the dark side...and i am sure he would have said the name thing be the car a aupra or something like that. Benefit of the doubt, thats what we are about.

This also raises a point why do some, if not most syndey drivers seem to be so erratic on the roads

OK BEING A SYDNEY DRIVER WHO DOES 800KMS A WEEK IN TRAFFIC , I CAN TELL YOU , they are shockers . for a start people changing lanes in traffic , ( why i'll never know) you need to drive with your accelerator more so than your brakes ( typhoon in wet would not like this treatment) and then you need to brake hard and hope the car behind you has optioned up to premium brakes . where i come unstuck each and every day is cruise control . i like to sit at the speed limit and get in the overtaking lane and cruise past all the people variying thier speed by 30km/an hour whilst on the phone txting . however somepeople behind me hate this and dont understand why i leave up to 50m gap in front of me . so often a driver tailgating me will light up the rears and overtake me on the left at say 30kms over speed limit , only to realise that the car in front of me is travelling at the speed limit or lower . hence slam on the brakes .
this sort of driving creates sheer havic for a poor f6. an f6 would need a patient driver on sydney roads .
Old 31-12-2008, 09:58 AM   #20
lowriding
interloper

i have found xr6ts ,especially modified ,can be diabolical in drizzle ,added to the fact more turbos are generally driven by a younger crowd,there is good reason most insurance cos ask more money for turbo charged cars . If i had seen that i would have drawn my own conclusion and that would have been the same .
lowriding is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 06:02 PM   #21
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
OK BEING A SYDNEY DRIVER WHO DOES 800KMS A WEEK IN TRAFFIC , I CAN TELL YOU , they are shockers . for a start people changing lanes in traffic , ( why i'll never know) you need to drive with your accelerator more so than your brakes ( typhoon in wet would not like this treatment) and then you need to brake hard and hope the car behind you has optioned up to premium brakes . where i come unstuck each and every day is cruise control . i like to sit at the speed limit and get in the overtaking lane and cruise past all the people variying thier speed by 30km/an hour whilst on the phone txting . however somepeople behind me hate this and dont understand why i leave up to 50m gap in front of me . so often a driver tailgating me will light up the rears and overtake me on the left at say 30kms over speed limit , only to realise that the car in front of me is travelling at the speed limit or lower . hence slam on the brakes .
this sort of driving creates sheer havic for a poor f6. an f6 would need a patient driver on sydney roads .
?!?!

Nope. Read it a few times and I'm still confused.

I'll also average about 800km/week (little less this time of year, little more come Feb) as well on Sydney's roads. The way you describe your experience driving your car is almost completely opposite to my experience driving mine.

I couldn't imagine how a reasonable driver would have that much trouble with an F6 in Sydney traffic as opposed to any other car, let alone having to deal with sheer 'havic'. I've seen plenty of F6's on the road and those owners didn't appear to have any problems keeping their car under control.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 06:34 PM   #22
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
?!?!

Nope. Read it a few times and I'm still confused.

I'll also average about 800km/week (little less this time of year, little more come Feb) as well on Sydney's roads. The way you describe your experience driving your car is almost completely opposite to my experience driving mine.

I couldn't imagine how a reasonable driver would have that much trouble with an F6 in Sydney traffic as opposed to any other car, let alone having to deal with sheer 'havic'. I've seen plenty of F6's on the road and those owners didn't appear to have any problems keeping their car under control.
well i just dont think that often a fast car , such as an F6, GT/ CLUBSPORT, WRX , XR8, IS GOING TO HAVE AN ACCIDENT due to something malfunctioning , or driver error . i kind've think that there wouldnt be a 70 year old grand mother behind the wheel either .
dont get me wrong , any car can be put out of control . however , some easier than others . unfortunately a rear wheel drive huge potential turbo. is the number one likely suspect vehicle that i would expect to see all smashed up on a drizzly raod . anyway some vehicles you can take a chance with , some you cannot . in the case of a stupid moment behind the wheel the f6 / xr6t would have to be a front runner for unf orgiving it's driver . DONT YOU THINK . ???
you'll most probably say no . because you are a carefull experianced driver .
not everyone has that luxury.
Old 31-12-2008, 06:43 PM   #23
Cappy_Hamper

Quote:
well i just dont think that often a fast car , such as an F6, GT/ CLUBSPORT, WRX , XR8, IS GOING TO HAVE AN ACCIDENT due to something malfunctioning , or driver error . i kind've think that there wouldnt be a 70 year old grand mother behind the wheel either .
dont get me wrong , any car can be put out of control . however , some easier than others . unfortunately a rear wheel drive huge potential turbo. is the number one likely suspect vehicle that i would expect to see all smashed up on a drizzly raod . anyway some vehicles you can take a chance with , some you cannot . in the case of a stupid moment behind the wheel the f6 / xr6t would have to be a front runner for unf orgiving it's driver . DONT YOU THINK . ???

Mate, if you can't drive it park it....

Cappy_Hamper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 06:49 PM   #24
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Having owned both a non turbo barra BA and a BA GT I can honestly say the 6 would stick to the road like glue in drizzlewith good rubber whereas the GT has to be driven with care. Losing traction in 3rd gear not uncommon in the wet in the GT. The GT has traction control whereas the XT didn't but i don't think TC is fool proof.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 06:51 PM   #25
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy_Hamper
Mate, if you can't drive it park it....
True that!
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2009, 12:46 AM   #26
Trendseeker

Just a minor bit of detail - King Georges Rd finishes at Wiley Park, then goes into Roberts Rd which finishes at Greenacre, then goes into Centennial Drv which finishes at Homebush, then goes into Homebush Bay Drv.

Last edited by Trendseeker; 01-01-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Trendseeker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2009, 04:05 AM   #27
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
After driving a modified XR6T for 12 months then stepping into a boxster S I can see why the insurance premium is lower for the boxster even though it's ten times the price. Turbo six is recipe for trouble, I'm still waiting for my latest licence suspension to come thorugh from my XR6T days. :(

P.S.
The current owner of my old XR6T has also had the car impounded and lost his license too. Speaks volumes for the state of insurance premiums on a turbo six.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2009, 04:40 AM   #28
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T
After driving a modified XR6T for 12 months then stepping into a boxster S I can see why the insurance premium is lower for the boxster even though it's ten times the price. Turbo six is recipe for trouble, I'm still waiting for my latest licence suspension to come thorugh from my XR6T days. :(

P.S.
The current owner of my old XR6T has also had the car impounded and lost his license too. Speaks volumes for the state of insurance premiums on a turbo six.
You cant blame the car for your driving habits, as for insurance my wife has 2007 Fiesta she pays $200 less a year than for my modified BF F6.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2009, 08:58 AM   #29
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Do people lose control giving a high powered car a squirt? Absolutely. However, your made a post that suggested there's something about Sydney traffic that puts poor, unsuspecting F6 drivers in danger.

Not everyone has the luxury of being a careful driver?! Ok, I'll perhaps give you a driver of a getaway car after a bank job probably doesn't have that luxury - that's a choice, but who else do I have to share the road with come under that criteria?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2009, 03:14 PM   #30
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T
Its not just the turbo's, the insurance premium for my Mini (soft top mind you) is HALF what it was for my N/A BA XR6. The Mini also cost more and being BMW built has the associated parts costs.

AAMI even said, no, sorry won't insure it at all. Even with a 70% NCB with them for life, and another car also on max NCB.

The XR's don't seem to be well received by the insurance co's.