Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 30-10-2006, 10:42 PM   #1
Damo
Banned

Default Unichip

Hey all, I have a unichip that isn't installed in my car yet. Current modz are Extracters, 2.5" exhasut with one muffler JMM DEV 4 cam, pod filter exposed in box with no lid, 3.73:1 lsd. Now I want to hear results people have had from a unichip in a NA i6 E-series. My car is an EF XR6 5 speed, so I can't play with the timing by advancing it etc.

I'm guessing I have around 140-145 rwkw as it stands any ideas how much the unichip and tuning will help. Best ET to date 14.88 @92 mph best TS 94 mph.

Thanks.

Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 10:44 PM   #2
Tiga_EL
Banned

ignore

Last edited by Tiga_EL; 30-10-2006 at 10:58 PM. Reason: wrong spelling
Tiga_EL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 10:45 PM   #3
Sundeep
Banned

I've got one in my EA. They're pretty good I reckon. I only got mine for driveability because I already was getting the fuel I needed from a MicroFueler but the car was pathetic on petrol.

After the UniChip was installed I noticed a massive difference on off boost driveability and managed a PB fuel economy result of 12L/100km on GOR last year.

In other words yeah it's sweet, 140 is what I'd be aiming for!

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 10:47 PM   #4
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got 13kW gain at the wheels with my Unichip in the EA.
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 10:50 PM   #5
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

how much are unichips?

NC Fairlane GHIA
Series II
I6.
Mods. 2.5" cat back
Clarion HU
Soundstream speakers amp and subs
Lowered
DL LTD rims
: thats it!
For the moment... :
NC_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 10:50 PM   #6
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

I've recently fitted a Chiptorque and it made the car feel *much* better, despite the chip having an off-the-shelf program rather than being custom tuned to my car's setup. It was still an improvement for general drivability and responsiveness over having no chip.

I assume the tune on the Unichip is to suit an EF with a non-std cam, exhaust and intake upgrade?

Diff shouldn't impact on the chip.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 10:55 PM   #7
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

Will a unichip fix the crappy return to idle bullcrap that goes along with big cams?
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 10:58 PM   #8
Damo
Banned

Sunny why do you think 140 is what I should be aiming for, comparing it to other cars outputs and times surely it would have to be making around 140 allready. Also my fuel economy average is around 13.7 aeound town and 9's on the freeway, should I expect that to drop ?
Old 30-10-2006, 11:00 PM   #9
Sundeep
Banned

Sorry I meant that you should at least get 140.

My apologies for any emotional damage caused by my typographical error.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 11:01 PM   #10
niko
likes falcon's

yagz, pm me the code of your ecu, i will tell you if it's a manual one

Last edited by niko; 30-10-2006 at 11:20 PM.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 11:15 PM   #11
Christiaan

wow

everyone stop being idiots.

Damo, i got 139rwkw with a bolt in cam. If you don't get atleast 150rwkw, there's some other issues stopping the power.
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Old 30-10-2006, 11:16 PM   #12
EFFalcon
Last warning

PM Thanatos, he's had good results with the unichip.
it improved his idle somewhat, i don't think its perfect but you can only get it so good with large cams.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 11:19 PM   #13
Christiaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
PM Thanatos, he's had good results with the unichip.
it improved his idle somewhat, i don't think its perfect but you can only get it so good with large cams.
It's not the idle itself, it's the return to idle after a blip of the throttle.

Mine sticks at 2 grand, and sometimes creeps back up above 2 grand, before finally settling down to 750rpm.

I was thinking vacuum leak, but normal idle would be affected, and it's not.

I've changed the ISC, same thing's happening. It even happens on gas now too.

I'm so confused!
Old 30-10-2006, 11:22 PM   #14
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try disconnecting the ISC. I did that and it helped.

Didnt help my 3 day lifespan of plugs though :(
Old 30-10-2006, 11:22 PM   #15
John_LS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuresm58
It's not the idle itself, it's the return to idle after a blip of the throttle.

Mine sticks at 2 grand, and sometimes creeps back up above 2 grand, before finally settling down to 750rpm.

I was thinking vacuum leak, but normal idle would be affected, and it's not.

I've changed the ISC, same thing's happening. It even happens on gas now too.

I'm so confused!
do you have tickford ecu?? 1004 112 idles and behaves like crap without one.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 11:23 PM   #16
Damo
Banned

thanks guys, from what I understand the DEV4 isn't a huge cam and my idle is pretty damn good with the standard XR6 ECU. I'm thinking I might be better off looking at a bigger cam and upgraded springs then get the Unichip installed and tuned save doing it all twice. My ideal goal is getting the car into the low 14's on street tyres then i'll be happy.
Old 30-10-2006, 11:23 PM   #17
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

I thought the idle issue with cammy 3.9/4.0s was due to the lack of vacuum for the MAP sensor to sense. The lack of vacuum would tell the ECU "hey the driver's accelerating, dump more fuel in", then the engine gets waaay overfueled and dies.

Can anyone confirm/correct this?
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 11:23 PM   #18
niko
likes falcon's

93DA-12A650-AC it just a standard one
Old 30-10-2006, 11:24 PM   #19
EFFalcon
Last warning

somethings telling the ECU to keep the ISC open.
MAP sensor effects ISC, TPS may do.. maybe check your TPS is giving correct voltages?
i'm not sure if a unichip would help your problem.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 11:28 PM   #20
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_xr6
do you have tickford ecu?? 1004 112 idles and behaves like crap without one.
Mine idles awesome with my stock ECU!
1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Cooler|Sports ryder shocks|Pedders lows|Resprayed|Microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Turbo grind cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 Conversion|Built bottom end|Custom plenum|10.6@125MPH
needfordspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 11:29 PM   #21
John_LS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfordspeed
Mine idles awesome with my stock ECU!
EA's dont count Will :P
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 11:31 PM   #22
niko
likes falcon's

it's like they ignore tranny's completely the old ea's, they stay away from carparks and all, "cough stkilda :P
Old 30-10-2006, 11:34 PM   #23
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

hey damo - i haven't dyno'd the EB but i was guessing it had about 145+ rwkw as well, but maybe it's a bit more as sunny reckons he got past you in the EB ;p Although there'd be a weight difference in your favour surely.

Either way mate i'd be guessing your chip should give you 10rwkw in the bank, and what you can get after that is a bonus. Car should feel smoother through the range too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuresm58
Will a unichip fix the crappy return to idle bullcrap that goes along with big cams?
the cam in the EB seems exceedingly large, and i don't have that issue. I do however have an issue (especially when not quite up to temp) where if you get on the throttle, then come straight off instead of feathering off, it will lunge back down to about 4orpm and lunge a bit. Either way a proper tune should control these issues.
Professor Farnsworth is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 11:35 PM   #24
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
I thought the idle issue with cammy 3.9/4.0s was due to the lack of vacuum for the MAP sensor to sense. The lack of vacuum would tell the ECU "hey the driver's accelerating, dump more fuel in", then the engine gets waaay overfueled and dies.

Can anyone confirm/correct this?
yeh i thought it was due to a lack of oxygen..
Professor Farnsworth is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 11:35 PM   #25
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cam's in V8's react different to I6's... a MAF is much more big cam friendly
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2006, 11:59 PM   #26
Damo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
hey damo - i haven't dyno'd the EB but i was guessing it had about 145+ rwkw as well, but maybe it's a bit more as sunny reckons he got past you in the EB ;p Although there'd be a weight difference in your favour surely.
Yeah he got past me whilst I was spinning first and second gear, and the weight favour would be negligent my XR6 has a full Ghia interior including power windows etc, I think your EB would be on the money for a 14.5-14.8 pending traction, would be a good match up for Ash or D4v3 or myself ;) I would expect your ghia to make 150 + easy keeping in mind i have much better gearing when i can actually launch it right.
Old 30-10-2006, 11:59 PM   #27
rob82

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
somethings telling the ECU to keep the ISC open.
MAP sensor effects ISC, TPS may do.. maybe check your TPS is giving correct voltages?
i'm not sure if a unichip would help your problem.

The ECCIV uses two dashpot strategies (with VSS and without VSS) where by they open the ISC valve a certain amount to help return the car to idle. Both tables are based on rpm so at x rpm it opens the ISC valve x amount.

In changing camshafts you are changing the volumetric efficiency of the engine therefore you may need more dashpot at lower rpm and less at higher rpm. The only way to change these idle parameters is by a chip.

Also MAF based cars react better to camshaft changes as they measure the airflow into the engine not the manifold pressure. The bigger the camshaft/lobe separation the lower the manifold vacumm at the same typical idle rpm.
rob82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 12:02 AM   #28
Christiaan

I have access to an ED XR6 manual ECU, so i may plug it in and see how it behaves.

So rob82, a chip may help my return to idle problems? Anything else you can suggest I try before i lunge on a chip?
Old 31-10-2006, 12:04 AM   #29
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo
Yeah he got past me whilst I was spinning first and second gear, and the weight favour would be negligent my XR6 has a full Ghia interior including power windows etc, I think your EB would be on the money for a 14.5-14.8 pending traction, would be a good match up for Ash or D4v3 or myself ;) I would expect your ghia to make 150 + easy keeping in mind i have much better gearing when i can actually launch it right.
Same thing happened when I raced him, was spinning into second (burnout more like, tyres were stuffed) at about 80 he slowly started pulling away, that was when it was duel fuel though.

How long till you put your unichip in Damo?
1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Cooler|Sports ryder shocks|Pedders lows|Resprayed|Microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Turbo grind cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 Conversion|Built bottom end|Custom plenum|10.6@125MPH
needfordspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 12:05 AM   #30
Damo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob82
The ECCIV uses two dashpot strategies (with VSS and without VSS)
Vic street scene ?