Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-03-2008, 01:11 AM   #1
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Cressy (Vic) Accident

I'm pretty sure those in Melbourne have already heard of this accident, but for those interstate - http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...09-661,00.html

To sum it up:

* Stolen Ford Festiva
* Crashed into a tree after a police chase reaching speeds of 160 kph
* Unlicensed, underage driver.
* Two passengers crammed into boot on account of Plasma Television and other electronics (yep, stolen) taking up back seat.

You just know that despite all this, those involved will get off with a slap on the wrist (come from a broken home, he/she's a good kid really, mixed up with some bad people, sincerley regretful... you know the same old story) but if they had got away with it, the law wouldn't have given a about those who's property was stolen.

As sad as it is, they get no sympathy from me.

dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 01:16 AM   #2
Kryton

just before the Police bashing begins:
the chase was called off 5-10 minutes BEFORE the crash.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 01:31 AM   #3
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It was a Focus, not a Festiva (they showed it on the channel 9 news)
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 01:42 AM   #4
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

eitherway, it doesn't matter if it was a broom they crashed into a tree, focus, festiva.. meh?

they'll get left off anyway
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 01:54 AM   #5
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Forget the police bashing lets start on the parents for not keeping any eye on where there children are at 4:40am
AU1XLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 02:11 AM   #6
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i thought the cops were supposed to pull back when speeds reach over 160?

dumbass kids
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 02:13 AM   #7
AU1XLS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev

dumbass kids
They did according to the news report
AU1XLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 02:19 AM   #8
Falcon_Power_06

prime example of it dosnt matter what car you drive you can still speed and still crash.

I want an XR8

oviously i am a P plate driver.
Falcon_Power_06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 03:57 AM   #9
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
Do you even read beyond the first post? It was the 2nd post for Christs sake.
Quote:
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 07:56 AM   #10
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

As dom_105 said it's the same old story, the problem is will these kids learn anything from this experience? We can only hope, because not only is this sort of occurrence costing the lives of far too many young people, it is also costing the rest of us more in insurance premiums and taxes. :
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 08:52 AM   #11
Agent86
Not so low, not so slow.

Quote:

I find these statements from the police/media irritating.

They ALWAYS say just prior to the incident the chase was called off..

now c'mon. so the people always run harder when there are cops NOT chasing them?

im sure that they do call em off sometimes before crashes, but i will tell you from what i have seen in my area, is they DO NOT back off.

We had a high speed chase thru here a while ago, but after the reduction of maximum chase speeds, and the cops were hammering to keep up with the car. They had the air wing following so there was no need. they knew where he was and where he was going as they had roads blocked to direct him to their final trap point.

i think its a little convenient to say they always had called the chase off just prior.
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 09:10 AM   #12
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

police Bashing Thread, Children Bashing Thread, Parent Bashing Thread, Educations System, Legal System etc.

Can we put links to other threads already been argued out countless times and close this, because in only 10 posts we already have stupid remarks insulting each other.

RIP to the Focus.

04' BA XR6 - Blueprint - 6 Speed with Rip Shift - HD Clutch
2.5"/BFGT Exhaust System with Quad Tips - 4490's Extractors
19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet
Stage 2 Crow Cam's - Crow Cam's Valve Springs - BPR Airbox
M86 LSD Diff with 4.1s - Upgraded Brakes with Slotted DBA 4000's
Leather Interior - Rear Power Windows

Projects Underway: Sound System
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 09:11 AM   #13
SVTVNM
Guzzler

After seeing the footage I am glad my girlfriend purchased a current Focus, it held up alright considering the impact. And I beleive the more serious injuries were the dropkicks in the boot.
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 09:46 AM   #14
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceofSpades
I find these statements from the police/media irritating.

now c'mon. so the people always run harder when there are cops NOT chasing them?

im sure that they do call em off sometimes before crashes, but i will tell you from what i have seen in my area, is they DO NOT back off.

We had a high speed chase thru here a while ago, but after the reduction of maximum chase speeds, and the cops were hammering to keep up with the car. They had the air wing following so there was no need. they knew where he was and where he was going as they had roads blocked to direct him to their final trap point.

i think its a little convenient to say they always had called the chase off just prior.
I get what youre saying, but what do you expect? The cops to call the chase the day before? Its almost always going to be just prior, thats the nature of high speed chases and the all too often inevitable end.

While getting them to the 'trap' is good, theres a lot that can go wrong in between. Society expects the police to intercept before that happens. The speed cutoff point is a trade off between the dangers of high speed chases to the public, the danger continuing by failing to apprehend them and the reluctance of the system to provide a get out jail free card to criminals (ie: go really fast, and the cops have to let you go).
Old 25-03-2008, 10:01 AM   #15
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceofSpades
A pursuit is initiated the moment a driver realises the police want him to pull over and he decides not to. A pursuit doesn't need to be fast, it can occur at 25km/h on a private road or at high speed on the freeway. Once a pursuit has commenced, the police car (usually the passenger) will radio it in and advise on all of the conditions affecting the pursuit such as traffic, speed, weather, road, driver capability etc. Charles in Charge on the other end of the radio will make a decision based on all of the above, what the suspect has done, the police drivers capability & maturity, risk to the public, risk to the police and how else the pursuit could be managed.

There are two people in the car who can decide when to stop a pursuit and a host of people on the other end of the radio. Only one person can engage the pursuit which is the police driver - any of the other people can stop it whenever they want.

Should the driver choose to ignore a call to stop a pursuit, blame for anything from there on lies squarely on his shoulders and you can bet your backside that punishment will be severe.

Whilst we know that pursuits cause accidents, I think the police apply a reasonable approach to them and fortunately, almost all pursuits conclude without too much trouble - be it by calling it off, surrender, letting them get away to catch up later, letting, mechanical failure or a minor/ish fender bender on a corner that renders the car incapacitated.

Typically, the car being pursued will continue on at speed as they are still running. I guess their mentality is that they don't know what has been decided so they have ot keep on as fast as they can. I wouldn't mind betting that the reason people crash after a pursuit is because they get pre-occupied looking for the police and trying to figure out what move to make next. Desperation is a good thing for clouding judgement.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #16
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of what people tend to forget is that the car comes to the attention of police, usually for fast driving or running reds etc etc ( not that there are many red lights out Cressy way ), then get the adrenaline dump of being chased by the police then even when the pursuit gets called off, they keep on going warp 9.
Also, calling of the pursuit doesn't mean stop following, the pursuit can be off but the police car still shadowing it for when they hopefully dump and run.
As sad as it is, the 'kids' authored their own destiny and unfortunately they paid the ultimate price for being stupid little scrotes.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #17
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU1XLS
Forget the police bashing lets start on the parents for not keeping any eye on where there children are at 4:40am
Could have snuck out the window behind their back while the parents thought they were asleep or anything, this is one case where you shouldnt jump on the parents if you dont know 100% what happened. Having said that I agree alot of the time the parents are walkovers...We just need facts though...
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 11:02 AM   #18
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even at the coronial hearing I wouldn't expect to hear a lot of facts... it's just a blame game. Despite relaxed rules of evidence, it is the same as the rest of the court system, anything but just.
The facts are they ran from the police, they crashed and two are dead.. the rest is up in the air.
Old 25-03-2008, 11:07 AM   #19
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Silly kids just thought it was a good idea at the time and then payed the price after being chased to death...The adults here need to have a more clear head on their shoulders that silly kids never will, and someone intoxicated or under the influence etc etc and weigh up the risk vs what the crime was/is...The Police story is the same every time without fail and never ever ever any different...Dont they have spikes by now? Where were they..Thats what needs investigating for a start as they were bought to Vic police for obvious reasons.
Old 25-03-2008, 11:12 AM   #20
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA-Coupe
Even at the coronial hearing I wouldn't expect to hear a lot of facts... it's just a blame game. Despite relaxed rules of evidence, it is the same as the rest of the court system, anything but just.
The facts are they ran from the police, they crashed and two are dead.. the rest is up in the air.
Hopefully NOT 2 dead?... Last I heard 5 injured with 2 serious?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #21
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
Hopefully NOT 2 dead?... Last I heard 5 injured with 2 serious?
uh, my bad.. I was tying in a hurry
Old 25-03-2008, 11:21 AM   #22
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED Classic
Silly kids just thought it was a good idea at the time and then payed the price after being chased to death...The adults here need to have a more clear head on their shoulders that silly kids never will, and someone intoxicated or under the influence etc etc and weigh up the risk vs what the crime was/is...The Police story is the same every time without fail and never ever ever any different...Dont they have spikes by now? Where were they..Thats what needs investigating for a start as they were bought to Vic police for obvious reasons.
The crime and the result are not the issue. The fact is they ran, they get chased. Why? Because their driving style is endangering the public at large for every second they drive like that, the general public have a right to be considered in the equation, not simply the tools and the crime they committed.

You probably should revise your notion that police are gung ho crazies who dont consider the lives of those they pursue, or the lives of the general public. The few that are gung ho are a minority, not the majority. The police story will often be the same, because as posted very eloquently above by GTP006, there are situational consistencies in the type of events.
Old 25-03-2008, 11:50 AM   #23
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
The crime and the result are not the issue. The fact is they ran, they get chased. Why? Because their driving style is endangering the public at large for every second they drive like that, the general public have a right to be considered in the equation, not simply the tools and the crime they committed.

Yeah but why would they stop? So they can be abused and capsicum sprayed and hung rather than sent to proper rehab? Tougher laws will only ensure more try to do the same and as you said endanger other lives. Where were they road spikes were they on the way FMC 351? The more Police chase them the more they drive like that and will to the end, and only once they think they have got away or had their tyres spiked or killed themselves or someone else and themselves will they stop. The "they ran so lets all get them attitude" you are using is what endadgers lives and makes people in that state of mind not stop...Fact
Old 25-03-2008, 11:53 AM   #24
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
You probably should revise your notion that police are gung ho crazies who dont consider the lives of those they pursue, or the lives of the general public. The few that are gung ho are a minority, not the majority. s.

Yeah true and the minority that are are not dobbed in by their collegues so what does that make the rest them?
Old 25-03-2008, 11:55 AM   #25
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Yeah but why would they stop? So they can be abused and capsicum sprayed and hung rather than sent to proper rehab? Tougher laws will only ensure more try to do the same and as you said endanger other lives. Where were they road spikes were they on the way FMC 351? The more Police chase them the more they drive like that and will to the end, and only once they think they have got away or had their tyres spiked or killed themselves or someone else and themselves will they stop. The "they ran so lets all get them attitude" you are using is what endadgers lives and makes people in that state of mind not stop...Fact
Do you read what you type? What utter crap, grow up.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 11:58 AM   #26
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Desperation is a good thing for clouding judgement.
It sure is! Can be fatal. In aviation terms it is called push-on-itus and is a big killer.

Why are the cops action even called into this? Why so much cop bashing when they put their lives at risk chasing a-holes like these in the first place. These cops have their own family and children to go home to as well. They have no more interest in endangering their own lives as you or me, especially at work.

People, look at this again rationally. Car full of no good kids breaking and stealing from someone like you or me = no respect towards you, me, the police, hell society in general. No licence driver, speeds of up to 170 kph (ina front wheel drive??????, kids in boot with no seatbelt or airbag security to make way for their more prized (but stolen anyway) possession, a plasma screen, kids of around 14 years old unaccompanied at 4.30 am, evading arrest. Need I go on?

When will people learn that a little common sense can go along way to save a tragedy.
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 11:59 AM   #27
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's probably the classic post of all time !!!
Old 25-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #28
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Well if they did pull over before the accident they would of got a slap on the wrist and told that they were bad kids and very naughty - basically got off scott free.

This way they have been punished by their actions.............

Still they will get off, wont have to pay for the car, wont be charged for burglary - hopefully the hospital visit will make them think twice before wanting to do something like this again.

Yes there may be innocent party's in the car but all of them their first mistake was getting into a stolen car.

Dont know all the facts its just my thoughts...............

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #29
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
hopefully the hospital visit will make them think twice before wanting to do something like this again.

And that is were the problem is. 2 kids in critical condition is one hell of a tough lesson to learn!!!
Old 25-03-2008, 12:19 PM   #30
alecrain
'03 BA XT

Cool

I reckon I like the American model of pursuit better, if you run away form police I will not be sorry for you, and would like the cops to stop you (anyway possible) before you kill an innocent member of the public.

That's what the police is for!

Beautiful Photography Blog

2003 BA XT
IMPCO SVI - TYPHOON CAI +XR6T snorkel - K&N Panel Filter - DBA Slotties - Tint

1998 Toyota Landcruiser Prado

www.bseries.com.au/alecrain

Quote:
People that drive slower than ME are BAD DRIVERS,
People that drive faster are IDIOTS
alecrain is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post