Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
LTDHO
The one and only

Default Ipods and Driving

Not sure if road users are getting more stupid, but wouldn't the law and common sence prevent the use of an Ipod whilst driving.

I'm seeing more and more that drivers have the two plugs in and listening to music with no idea what is going on around them.

Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
hardlynormal

is it illegal to have your music really loud inside the car?
assuming its staying inside the car and not making a huge racket inside?
hardlynormal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately, with the nanny state legislation in full flight, Ipods, though not as bad, sooner or later will get placed in the same basket as mobile phones. On the other hand, pedestrians hooked up, in my book, are more of a concern wandering all over the road with not a care in the world.

The other thing to consider is that the ammount of cars with fully cranking doof doofs blaring away - is that the same set up as listening to an Ipod, but just a whole lot louder ?

I agree, having used an Ipod whilst driving on one occasion was enough to cause myself a distraction - now packed away and back to the cd's.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 03:08 PM   #4
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well to be fair, deaf people are allowed to drive, so I don't think the volume is THAT much of an issue, but I think allowing people to play with their ipods is worse than using a mobile phone
Old 25-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Playing around with an ipod while driving is dumb.

Listening to anything with headphone's while driving is queer.

Playing doof doof is one of THE biggest toolbag things to do with your car. It's up there with fake badging, black metal bonnets on coloured cars, and 3" exhausts on 4 cylinder shopping trolleys and V6 Commodores.

All shoud be illegal - cars impounded and destroyed immediately.
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 03:51 PM   #6
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
well to be fair, deaf people are allowed to drive, so I don't think the volume is THAT much of an issue, but I think allowing people to play with their ipods is worse than using a mobile phone

I didn't think deaf people came into the equation - the point I was discussing was the noise factor inside a vehicle could be another distracting influence on a person driving a vehicle who can hear.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 03:58 PM   #7
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Deaf people are usually also more visually aware.

Doof Doof and ipods have different effects, even with doof dof cranked you can normally still hear horns, sirens etc however Ipod's generally block out all outside noise as such you are not only distracted but can't hear anything.
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 05:46 PM   #8
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

I think in general people need to be more aware driving, and more responsible driving.

The cars these days are much faster, and have more 'bells and whistles' than cars 20+ years ago. There are more cars on the road, more varying speed limits, more advertising, and more roads to drive on.

Unfortunately people are too busy in their own little world, worried about their own selifsh existence, that they don't REALLY care about what is going outside of themselves.

I had a scare the other day, where I accidently clipped a large black dog about 2 streets away from my home. I like to think that I pay attention - particularly in residential streets because of the fact that I have 3 young kids with limited road sense.... But all the same this black dog walked out straight in front of my car and I just got him.... not hard, not even enough to stop him from making it across the road, back to his yard. I stopped and got out - the dog was fine - I must have got him about 5km/h.

All I could think of was the old TAC ad where the Truck pulls out in front of 2 cars, one at 60km/h and one at 65km/h. One car hits the truck fairly softly, and the other hits and tears the car apart....

I was not distracted - but I just wasn't paying enough attention to my surroundings. And I think that if you are 100% honest... you would say that when you drive - be it 5 mins down the road or for an hour... you don't pay attention all the time... probably only HALF the time at best...

I am a big believer that if the government was SERIOUS about the road toll (deaths and injuries) as well dangers and distractions while driving, they would make SERIOUS changes to the laws and legislation.

Blood Alcohol Level for ALL drivers should be .00
That way there would be no 'grey' area.... You've had a drink? You DON'T drive... SIMPLE.... then that way ANYTIME you were breathalised and blew a reading you would be gone...

There is NO reason for anyone to have an IPOD/PHONE/CIGARETTE in their hand while they drive.... Cars have radios.... Phones are now illegal to use in the car... and don't even get me started on the smoking thing....

I've probably wandered off track now - but basically we should ALL take a little more care, and take a little more time to do things...

If everyone just slowed down and took a deep breath once in a while... When you're doing 10-20km/h over the limit.... to get somewhere a few SECONDS earlier... it can be the difference between life and death when something goes wrong...

Think about it...
and then when you do...
Think about it again...

Loftie
Old 25-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #9
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

My iPod lives in the glovebox, hooked up via data cable to the stereo. I can control the iPod from there. Which is usually all songs on random. I can skip to the next song without even looking at the stereo, I know where the button is. And if I wanna change to a particular album or something, I do it while I'm stopped. Quite simple.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 06:18 PM   #10
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The whole point of the iPod is it is easy to change albums, it's not like you have to eject a CD, find a place in your CD folder to put your CD back, look through for the next CD you want to play, take it out and put it in the CD player. Mine lives in the glovebox too, but I see no harm in controlling it from the iPod itself.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 07:46 PM   #11
prydey
Rob

i may be wrong here, but in don't think the original post was regarding the actual ipod as such but more the earplugs in the ears. i doubt the original poster would have any issues with people who control their ipod through their stereo.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 07:49 PM   #12
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

What happened to live and let live!! If they are stupid enough to do it then let them be and suffer the fine when it comes in!!

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #13
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by snypereb
What happened to live and let live!! If they are stupid enough to do it then let them be and suffer the fine when it comes in!!
i don't think anyone was concerned that having things stuck in your ears may end in a 'fine'!! i would say it was more a case of being worried that the offender may not hear something and cause injury or death because of it.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #14
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

The ipod thru the car stereo should be ok however the OP was referring to 2 earplugs inn that would not allow you to hear sirens on emergency vehicles or another motorists horn to warn of danger. I suppose you could still see the finger displayed by other drivers.
There would be laws against earplugs inn I am fairly certain, depends on the attitude you show to the police when pulled up as to whether you are fined or told you are a tool and dont let it happen again.
In NSW there are fines for doof doof.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #15
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
I think in general people need to be more aware driving, and more responsible driving.

The cars these days are much faster, and have more 'bells and whistles' than cars 20+ years ago. There are more cars on the road, more varying speed limits, more advertising, and more roads to drive on.

Unfortunately people are too busy in their own little world, worried about their own selifsh existence, that they don't REALLY care about what is going outside of themselves.

I had a scare the other day, where I accidently clipped a large black dog about 2 streets away from my home. I like to think that I pay attention - particularly in residential streets because of the fact that I have 3 young kids with limited road sense.... But all the same this black dog walked out straight in front of my car and I just got him.... not hard, not even enough to stop him from making it across the road, back to his yard. I stopped and got out - the dog was fine - I must have got him about 5km/h.

All I could think of was the old TAC ad where the Truck pulls out in front of 2 cars, one at 60km/h and one at 65km/h. One car hits the truck fairly softly, and the other hits and tears the car apart....

I was not distracted - but I just wasn't paying enough attention to my surroundings. And I think that if you are 100% honest... you would say that when you drive - be it 5 mins down the road or for an hour... you don't pay attention all the time... probably only HALF the time at best...

I am a big believer that if the government was SERIOUS about the road toll (deaths and injuries) as well dangers and distractions while driving, they would make SERIOUS changes to the laws and legislation.

Blood Alcohol Level for ALL drivers should be .00
That way there would be no 'grey' area.... You've had a drink? You DON'T drive... SIMPLE.... then that way ANYTIME you were breathalised and blew a reading you would be gone...

There is NO reason for anyone to have an IPOD/PHONE/CIGARETTE in their hand while they drive.... Cars have radios.... Phones are now illegal to use in the car... and don't even get me started on the smoking thing....

I've probably wandered off track now - but basically we should ALL take a little more care, and take a little more time to do things...

If everyone just slowed down and took a deep breath once in a while... When you're doing 10-20km/h over the limit.... to get somewhere a few SECONDS earlier... it can be the difference between life and death when something goes wrong...

Think about it...
and then when you do...
Think about it again...

Loftie
Sorry but why is smoking so bad? I concentrate more on a fart while Im driving then I do taking a drag of a ciggy.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #16
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
In NSW there are fines for doof doof.
As far as I know there are in SA too. Which is why when I crank my stereo its usually country music, or classical, or Rick Astley.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2009, 08:33 AM   #17
LTDHO
The one and only

Both issues are the the plugs in the ears blocking out other noises and the fiddling with the Ipod.

The reason for the thread was due to an incident recently when a driver used a tree o stop his Commodore as he was going through the tracks on his Ipod.

Whilst damage and injuring is occuring, 'live and let live' hardly applies. Especially when it ends in death
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 26-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #18
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

It's a combination of inattention and shelfish attitudes.

Me, me, me, me, me, me, get out of my way, me, me, me, me, I want to get in that lane NOW, me, me, me, me, me, I'll do whatever I want and I don't care about other road users, me, me, me, me, me, you can't stop me, me, me, me, me, me, having a licence is my right and I know the law, me, me, me, me.....

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2009, 09:49 AM   #19
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Both issues are the the plugs in the ears blocking out other noises and the fiddling with the Ipod.

The reason for the thread was due to an incident recently when a driver used a tree o stop his Commodore as he was going through the tracks on his Ipod.

Whilst damage and injuring is occuring, 'live and let live' hardly applies. Especially when it ends in death
So what's the difference between listening to an iPod and using an approved handsfree device talking on a mobile? Both have earbuds that block out sound around you and both limit the amount of outside world noise you can hear. Just the same as a decent stereo will.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #20
Ghiagirl
Budding Revhead

I've always been under the impression that legally your stereo volume should only be loud enough so that you can still hear the engine, I would assume that if the same logic was applied to the earphones (have them in but not so loud that you can't still hear what else is going on) then they should be reasonably safe. Personally I can't ever see myself doing it (I prefer full awareness), although blocking out the kids in the back seat noise would be rather blissfull every now and then! :

His: Winter White 99 AU Fairmont,6 cyl, 17" Tickford Rims, nice and stock
This mum's in mod mode

www.aufalcon.com/ghiagirl
Ghiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2009, 10:50 PM   #21
Trendseeker

It's not unlawful to drive with ear buds and listening to music. You will get done if they see you holding an iPod and fiddling with the controls, just as you would if you were dialling a number on your mobile phone.
Trendseeker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2009, 12:10 PM   #22
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVO_XR
Sorry but why is smoking so bad? I concentrate more on a fart while Im driving then I do taking a drag of a ciggy.
Davo - How did you light the cigarrette?? One hand or Two?? You need to fumble around and get a smoke out of the packet, operate the lighter, and if you've already got the window down - cup the smoke and lighter so it lights (now with 2 hands off the wheel)... Then you can drop the smoke....

I am a reformed smoker - I know how it works....
Old 27-11-2009, 07:24 PM   #23
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Not sure if road users are getting more stupid, but wouldn't the law and common sence prevent the use of an Ipod whilst driving.

I'm seeing more and more that drivers have the two plugs in and listening to music with no idea what is going on around them.
Whilst not IPOD (Bluetooth & mobile), have a look at this 2009 NSW appeal court outcome:-

http://www.lawlink.nsw.gov.au/dcjudg...4?OpenDocument

If you think ARR needs tightening, this can be done. Check around ARR 300 or so then decide.

Also rem that 'navigation devices' (LCD GPS units) are permitted, if they use the manufacturers (windscreen) fitting,- under the 2009 amendments already adopted by the jurisdictions.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2009, 07:34 PM   #24
jcxr
Tribal Elder

How can anyone think that driving with one hand is so bad, crikey, back in the good old days you had to use hand signals whilst driving and just about all cars had manual transmissions. Try it one day. Hand out the window to stop or turn right, change down a gear etc etc. Bloody lot easier using one of these new fangled mobile phones.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2009, 11:06 PM   #25
LTDHO
The one and only

The days of hand signals are when max speed was 50kph. Everything was slower.

Anyway, I had someone admit he was searching through his Ipod and ran into a tree, it's pretty stupid thing to do. I don't thing people take the road seriously anymore. Oh well that is what air bags are for I suppose.
Old 28-11-2009, 09:19 AM   #26
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6
Playing around with an ipod while driving is dumb.

Listening to anything with headphone's while driving is queer.

Playing doof doof is one of THE biggest toolbag things to do with your car. It's up there with fake badging, black metal bonnets on coloured cars, and 3" exhausts on 4 cylinder shopping trolleys and V6 Commodores.

All shoud be illegal - cars impounded and destroyed immediately.
Says it all really. Top post mate, agree 100%.

Quote: