Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 12-08-2006, 06:11 PM   #1
martO
meh

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his efforts in creating the monthly Photoshop competitions and advice/tips on how to use Photoshop. 
Default EF/EL Door Trims Tutorial

Gday guys

I have started to put EF/EL door trims into my EB XR6. I am just curious to know if anyone wants me to do up a tutorial on my progress so for future reference people know how to do it. So far I have just done the left rear door trim and I'll get some pics in the daylight tomorrow.

I got the trims from the all ford wreckers at Loganholme for $20 a door, and I also bought an XH snorkel along with the top of the airbox for $20 while I was there.

The other rear one will be a lot easier after already doing one of them and I think the fronts will be easier. Let me know if anyone is interested

cheers martO

Old 12-08-2006, 06:28 PM   #2
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

theres already a tutorial over on www.fordmods.com .
what model door trims are you using?
just the base ones or higher model?

i want to put ef/el fairmont door trims in my eb xr6 but then i have to get electric windows which cost heaps, then i'll need a eb fairmont centre console to accomadate the electric window buttons!!

yeh so $20 a door isnt too bad! i asked at my local wreakers about door trim prices, $60 a door!! but i think they could have been fairmont ones tho.

cheers
braden
Old 12-08-2006, 06:30 PM   #3
EFFalcon
Last warning

are you sure they have a tutorial covering this?
i can't find it personally.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
martO
meh

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his efforts in creating the monthly Photoshop competitions and advice/tips on how to use Photoshop. 

Fair enough, if there is one on ford mods already then ignore this thread unless someone is interested.

They are from a base model falcon, none of them are electric windows. I was considering one with all 4 electric windows but I ended up getting these as they were cheap and the fact that I wasnt even planning on getting them today but saw them and thought .. why not. The fact that they were base model didnt really bother me as I might be re-upholstering the interior. I may change to electric windows down the track if I have a desire for them.

cheers
Old 12-08-2006, 06:39 PM   #5
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

i have 4 x el ghia trims if you ever want to step it up a notch ;p
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 06:51 PM   #6
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by martO
Fair enough, if there is one on ford mods already then ignore this thread unless someone is interested.

They are from a base model falcon, none of them are electric windows. I was considering one with all 4 electric windows but I ended up getting these as they were cheap and the fact that I wasnt even planning on getting them today but saw them and thought .. why not. The fact that they were base model didnt really bother me as I might be re-upholstering the interior. I may change to electric windows down the track if I have a desire for them.

cheers
I'm not sure there is, i couldnt find it :|
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 07:45 PM   #7
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did you get the cable for the handles too? They arnt absolutely necessary but do save you trying to bend your old ones to try and work properly with the EF handles.

I did this mod too (and electric windows) whats wierd was the holes were already there for the EF/L high spec door trims, but on a EBII that I had at the time it didnt.

And for some reason the left passenger rear didnt line up to one of the armrest holes and half of the screw holes? They were about 1cm out, despite spending quite a bit of time trying to get it to line up I couldnt.
I assume the door trim I have was never quite right from the factory.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 08:00 PM   #8
NZ
~~~

I did a thread on this once. It was on fordforums.com

You will need the door handle rods from an ef/el and you will need to drill some holes for the door handle and armrest to mount. For matching up to the dash, on the passenger side it will crush into the door trim slightly and you'll get a door that will swing open for you. the drivers side it doesnt match up at all. the rear doors you will need to remove the lock buttons and rods

"the man that crashs AFF"
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2006, 09:18 PM   #9
Skooter

I reckon it's a sweet idea a tut would be great
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 12:48 AM   #10
martO
meh

I only got rods for the front 2 doors and for the rears I bent them myself. It isnt that hard to do and all the bolt holes are there and line up fine for the trim. The bolt hole for the centre of the handle is just a square hole, so I stole the little grommit thing from one of the old holes just above that and put it into the one that the EF handle lines up to. Then put in the tek screw and she was sweet.

Also NZ, I won't need to drill any holds for the arm rest as its fixed to the door trim. Its not the large electric window one its the little ones as it has wind up windows, which I'm not sure if they would make a difference.

I might aswell take pictures tomorrow and add them up with steps so if anyone is interested they can have a squizz. Its not a professional job as I've never done htis before but it sure works and looks great so thats all that matters to me ;).

EDIT: I also removed the rear buttons that stick up as the EF trims don't have them and they look much smoother and nicer without them. Which is incredibly easy as you just remove a little pin thing that is sitting in the door. I will show yas tomorrow when I update the tutorial :
Old 13-08-2006, 02:17 PM   #11
martO
meh

Okay so I did the front left, taken photos as I went along and taken notes so I can prepare it for a tutorial. However I hit a little snag as it would seem the right rear door is different to the left. The left has holes made for the EF door handles that the EB ones don't even use whereas the right doesnt have any spare holes so I'll need to drill some I guess. Will update when I get further but so far the left is done and looks great in the EB and matches the dash quite well.
Old 13-08-2006, 04:39 PM   #12
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFFalcon
are you sure they have a tutorial covering this?
i can't find it personally.
hey i cant seem to find it now either but i did see somewhere a guy put el fairmont ghia door trims on a early e series fairlane.

heres a few pics.

cheers
Old 13-08-2006, 09:16 PM   #13
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

here's mine...

done a few years ago...

i plan to fit fairmont trims in the rear, and electric windows