Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-04-2008, 06:05 PM   #1
XR6AU3
Starter Motor

Default XR6 AUIII Clutch Problem?

Hi,
I have an XR6 AUIII XR Ute 02 model. I seem to be having a strange problem with the clutch. After 30 min of so of driving I can’t change gears. Everything is fine before that. Just had the clutch cable replaced as I though it may have been worn.

Reason I thought it was initially the clutch cable is because if I adjust the cable I can select gears again with no issues. However it will then happen again and so I just keep tightening the cable.

This seem to start two days ago about the same time I noticed the clutch pedal return spring (attaches form the clutch pedal to the bulkhead) had broken. So I went to ford and replaced it, didn’t fix the issue, just had the clutch cable replaced and that doesn’t seemed to have worked either.

Does anyone have any ideas on what it might be? I don’t have any strange noises coming from the gearbox and it works fine for awhile?

Cheers

XR6AU3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #2
SIKSIX
Its gone V

try getting under the car and looking at the gearbox, there will be a little black box on the passenger side, open that.
look at the thing that the clutch cable connects to and see if it is cracked or stretched, because a simular thing happened to me and it actually broke.
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:22 PM   #3
XR6AU3
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSIX
try getting under the car and looking at the gearbox, there will be a little black box on the passenger side, open that.
look at the thing that the clutch cable connects to and see if it is cracked or stretched, because a simular thing happened to me and it actually broke.

Cheers thanks SIKSIX I'll give that a go.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #4
FLOORED
Race Brakes Sydney

3 Common problems on fords with the cable clutch set up are as follows :
1.Where the clutch pedal pivots under the dash on the pedal box can crack.
2.The clutch fork is cracked
3.The firewall is cracked

Street to track is what we expertise in

Phone 02 9609 1101

sales@racebrakessydney.com.au

www.racebrakessydney.com.au
FLOORED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:34 PM   #5
XR6AU3
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOORED
3 Common problems on fords with the cable clutch set up are as follows :
1.Where the clutch pedal pivots under the dash on the pedal box can crack.
2.The clutch fork is cracked
3.The firewall is cracked
Cheers thanks for the reply. Had the firewall looked at so thats all fine.

I'm guessing the clutch fork is inside the gearbox/clutch housing? So would need to open the housing to replace it?

Havent looked at the pedal box yet but will get in there with a flashlight tonight and see if I can see any cracks.

Cheers
Old 08-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #6
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you have extractors and the clutch cable is sitting to close to them .this will melt the inside of the cable and it will bind up.
also where the clutch cable go'es through the firewall can bend out of shape and the cable dosen't sit square on it.it cause the cable to wear on one side and bind /snap.if you pop the cable off the pedal and pull it through the firewall you'l be able to see if its been rubbing