Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 16-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
krzysiek

Default Just test Drove the FG XR6 for the first time. Where can I rent one as a 20 Y O ?

Hi guys,

Just tested one for the first time. Felt different to the BA XT eGas I have now (duh) but there was a bit of traffic so I didn't really go to do too much with it. Especially did not get to really test the torque/acceleration :(

Overall, handled well (for what my experience is worth) but I really want to rent one out for a couple of days to actually get a better feel for it (without feeling silly if I thrash it on the test drive while the ford dude is in the car with me!)

I have called a few places, they all say "21 minimum". Don't really want to get my dad to rent it out for me as I'm pretty sure that would have me liable if anything 'were' to happen...

Old 16-06-2011, 05:56 PM   #2
Fordman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Just test Drove the FG XR6 for the first time. Where can I rent one as a 20 Y O ?

Good luck, i tryed to rent a landcruiser to go offroading in (For skoolies a coupleyears back lol) most of them didnt want to talk to me unless i was over 24-5 even!
Old 16-06-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
krzysiek

Default Re: Just test Drove the FG XR6 for the first time. Where can I rent one as a 20 Y O ?

Well that sucks !!!
Old 16-06-2011, 06:31 PM   #4
krzysiek

There has to be a way !!!
Old 16-06-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by krzysiek
Hi guys,

Overall, handled well (for what my experience is worth) but I really want to rent one out for a couple of days to actually get a better feel for it (without feeling silly if I thrash it on the test drive while the ford dude is in the car with me!)
You just answered your question... as to why they dont hire cars to people under 21.... and you seem to confirm it by actually admitting online you want to thrash it.... then you wonder why companies dont hire them out.
Make sence yet?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 16-06-2011, 06:41 PM   #6
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
You just answered your question... as to why they dont hire cars to people under 21.... and you seem to confirm it by actually admitting online you want to thrash it.... then you wonder why companies dont hire them out.
Make sence yet?
That thought crossed my mind too...
Old 16-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
krzysiek

You mean sense, right?

Pretty sure I asked if anyone could help me with my question. I probably should have made that clearer for you, as you more or less have displayed that you're here to troll. I did not ask for your opinion on why they don't hire to people under 21.

In fairness, they probably don't hire out the cars to under 21's only due to insurance reasons.

If you think that only "under 21s" would thrash a rental, then would you care to explain why, even WITH the current "no under 21s" policy, the rental cars are STILL thrashed - even though only people 21 and over are driving them?

Make 'sense' yet?

Helpful opinions / replies more than welcome.
Old 16-06-2011, 06:44 PM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have`nt driven an fg xr6, but i have driven the mates bf2 xr6 with 6 speed auto, if the bf2 and fg drive the same (they should be similar in power), even without the turbo they go very well indeed, gawd blimey ........... makes my series 2 au xr6 feel like a slug , the car yard test sounds like your only option.
Old 16-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #9
krzysiek

In addition to my post above, I would respectfully like to point out that the word 'thrash' was definitely used inappropriately initially. I meant I just wanted to see more of the power that the Falcon XR6 has to offer, as I did not get to see anything from the test drive (other than comfort/drive - which were both good).

Hope this makes sense and will ensure I won't have to defend myself against irrelevant claims.
Old 16-06-2011, 06:48 PM   #10
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Get your old man to hire it?!
Old 16-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last year sometime while walking home from the shop, a hire ute belonging to Handy Ute did a burn out up the road and then pulled up just past me at the next intersection. I could see minor smoke from under the ute and smell the clutch burning.

Rang the company to tell them their ute will probably be either on fire soon or at the very least need a new clutch plate. He was not impressed...

SOOOO.... do you think thats a good way to treat someone elses property?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 16-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #12
krzysiek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
Get your old man to hire it?!
Thought of that, but a little worried if something happens and then I am held accountable (as I am under 21). I don't plan to be a ******** in it all, especially on the roads. I would treat it the same way I treat my BA, but if someone were to hit me or something were to happen, I think I would be in a bit of trouble!
Old 16-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #13
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

A possible way (if you are interested in buying, not just wasting Fords time) is to go in with your Dad and get him to talk to the salesman/women and say that he's really interested in how one feels and what it looks like on his drive, he's not sure whether your Mum could park it that easily, and that you are also considering the Holden SV6. They MAY offer you father to bring it home over night, that way you can have the time that you need to look over it and test drive it as you will.

We did this with my best friend when he went and bought his Honda Accord. But if your not interested in buying then dint waste their time lol.
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 16-06-2011, 06:53 PM   #14
krzysiek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Last year sometime while walking home from the shop, a hire ute belonging to Handy Ute did a burn out up the road and then pulled up just past me at the next intersection. I could see minor smoke from under the ute and smell the clutch burning.

Rang the company to tell them their ute will probably be either on fire soon or at the very least need a new clutch plate. He was not impressed...

SOOOO.... do you think thats a good way to treat someone elses property?
Hold on a second. While I am not naive and I DO understand your point of view, and in reality I am a very fair guy and I would NOT purposely screw someone else's property just because I was only going to have it for a day or so - I do not believe your comment here is at all relevant.

You went from saying that I am the reason they don't hire out to under 21's - but what does this random guy/girl doing a burn out in a hire car have anything to do with me. The guy doing the burn out was more than likely >21 anyway if he hired to car... so that is only suggesting that people above my age do burnouts (kind of defeats the purpose of your initial claim again me a few posts up).

Anyway, really, I don't want to get into some debate - I just thought it was irrelevant for you to pick on me. I do realise it was a poor choice of word to use 'thrash' (I was quickly writing as I had other things to attend to but wanted to get the thread posted while the forum is most active) so I could have used a better word/phrase.
Old 16-06-2011, 06:55 PM   #15
krzysiek

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3RSAC3
A possible way (if you are interested in buying, not just wasting Fords time) is to go in with your Dad and get him to talk to the salesman/women and say that he's really interested in how one feels and what it looks like on his drive, he's not sure whether your Mum could park it that easily, and that you are also considering the Holden SV6. They MAY offer you father to bring it home over night, that way you can have the time that you need to look over it and test drive it as you will.

We did this with my best friend when he went and bought his Honda Accord. But if your not interested in buying then dint waste their time lol.
Hey there, not a bad idea. Would not have actually expected them to agree to such a thing though...! Will have to consider it if all else fails, as that seems a little more trouble than (hopefully) another option - but thank you very much nonetheless.

BTW: I am indeed very interested in buying But only the EcoLPI version (should be very similar to petrol anyway for test purposes)
Old 16-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #16
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

Hey mate, im 20 years old.

I took the post the exact way that a lot of others have taken it. Your first post may have meant good thoughts but to others all it screams is

"There was traffic so i couldn't put my foot down, see how good it is"

Here's an easy way to do it, Go to a car dealer like a small car dealer. Take your old man with you, Usually they'll let you take the car for a spin on your own.

When i test drove my BA, i drove one at Ford used cars, they told me "go left, go left here, go right here, go left, pull back in. theres your drive" its just not good enough. went to a smaller dealer.

Got the car on my own for a good 45mins, was able to give the go pedal a bit of a punch.

So yeah, Go to a small dealer and get a 6spd.
Old 16-06-2011, 07:03 PM   #17
krzysiek

Thanks Rixsta, that might actually suffice (a 45 min drive). Yes, that's exactly how it was. Told where to turn etc, so just in general it did not feel as well as it could have as I would (ideally) want more time with the car. Sorry for putting it wrong in the OP, did not mean it that way.

How would you define a smaller dealer, though? Going in with my dad might be good, hopefully they would let us go by ourselves a little, or for a little longer at least.
Old 16-06-2011, 07:07 PM   #18
R1XSTA
Silky Smoothe

Don't go to a major dealer, ie Ford, Holden.

Just go to a small dealer you find on the side of the road. I bought my car from "cheltenham car sales" My partner got hers from "Dandy Automobiles"

They're more willing to give you time of day, because they're struggling and want a sale. But if you wanna take a car for that long, You gotta make sure you are 120% willing to take a sale within 2 weeks.
Old 16-06-2011, 07:14 PM   #19
V3RSAC3
... Fear it!

But he wants a new FG lol, might be hard to find in a small yard, unless it's a smaller ford dealer.
Chrysler 300C Sedan
SY Territory Ghia
Old 16-06-2011, 07:25 PM   #20
krzysiek

And even worse still is I just want to test the Petrol XR6 for comfort, performance, etc but in the end I want to go for the EcoLPI which isn't even out yet. So I guess going to a small dealer would not be of help to them, actually. Because I don't think they will have any used EcoLPI's for quite some time. Hmm, damn - might have to scrap that idea.
Old 16-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #21
Skotty
Banned

If you're lucky go down say you want to get a new car, talk the talk. My mate done that at Jarvis Ford (in adelaide) when he was looking at BA's a few months ago, and they gave him a BA XR6 overnight because he said he had to show his old man for appoval (which was actually true) and it was ~80km to his house... All went smooth, then he endedup getting a BA SR from a different yard lol!
Old 16-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #22
Skotty
Banned

alltho some caryards if you do the overnight loan - read the fine print on the contract you sign for it, some say if you have it overnight you HAVE to buy it. (happend to a mates mum back in min 90's with a VR commodore.. wanted it overnight signed papers and turns out she had to buy it)
Old 16-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #23
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hold on a second. While I am not naive and I DO understand your point of view, and in reality I am a very fair guy and I would NOT purposely screw someone else's property just because I was only going to have it for a day or so - I do not believe your comment here is at all relevant.

You went from saying that I am the reason they don't hire out to under 21's - but what does this random guy/girl doing a burn out in a hire car have anything to do with me. The guy doing the burn out was more than likely >21 anyway if he hired to car... so that is only suggesting that people above my age do burnouts (kind of defeats the purpose of your initial claim again me a few posts up).

Anyway, really, I don't want to get into some debate - I just thought it was irrelevant for you to pick on me. I do realise it was a poor choice of word to use 'thrash' (I was quickly writing as I had other things to attend to but wanted to get the thread posted while the forum is most active) so I could have used a better word/phrase.
krzysiek is making jim goose look like one (a goose...that is...)
Old 16-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #24
sm90it
Starter Motor

The way i read the whole post, you should just go out and buy one and then you have the whole time you have the car in your possesion (ownership) to do with it what you want. It would be much easier to "thrash" (feel the acceleration) of the car if you owned it.

I own a XR6 and i felt enough of the acceleration off a set of traffic lights when i was the first car in the queue, yeah i may of looked like a douche at the time but i felt the acceleration and was happy.
Old 16-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #25
krzysiek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm90it
The way i read the whole post, you should just go out and buy one and then you have the whole time you have the car in your possesion (ownership) to do with it what you want. It would be much easier to "thrash" (feel the acceleration) of the car if you owned it.

I own a XR6 and i felt enough of the acceleration off a set of traffic lights when i was the first car in the queue, yeah i may of looked like a douche at the time but i felt the acceleration and was happy.
Nothing wrong with accelerating quickly from a set of lights!

I am definitely keen on buying one (wish the EcoLPI was out already) but on the test drive (given there was traffic) I couldn't really feel much for acceleration (apart from a few little squirts). I honestly did not get any real feel for acceleration due to the road conditions. Whatever I experienced in the XR6 in terms of torque/pushing you back into the seat was nothing more than I get with my BA XT e-Gas - which just basically means, I need to take it out a little more because there is surely a lot I did not get to discover about this car!
Old 16-06-2011, 07:55 PM   #26
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

While it was only an XT, I had to drive an FG pool car at work when I owned a BF Ghia. I immediately found it a lot punchier off the line and a lot more throttle response down low. They may have comparable figures on paper but the FG felt like it had a lot more go.

Good luck with a longer test drive.
Old 16-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #27
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i have`nt driven an fg xr6, but i have driven the mates bf2 xr6 with 6 speed auto, if the bf2 and fg drive the same (they should be similar in power), even without the turbo they go very well indeed, gawd blimey ........... makes my series 2 au xr6 feel like a slug , the car yard test sounds like your only option.

FG is a much better car to drive then the B-series IMO.
Old 16-06-2011, 08:36 PM   #28
krzysiek

Well the look and feel inside of it was certainly different. One distinct thing that I did get out of the test drive was the steering. It was notably different compared to my BA XT. My BA XT is a little easier to steer, the FG felt a touch harder (harder being a bad word to use probably because I don't mean it in a bad way - I just don't know how else to explain it).

But over all, a very smooth drive. Just very keen on testing a bit of that muscle/torque to see how that part of the car goes, but all else is very nice. Wish the EcoLPI was out already. Dealer said maybe August... such a wait!
Old 16-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #29
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Thought of that, but a little worried if something happens and then I am held accountable (as I am under 21). I don't plan to be a ******** in it all, especially on the roads. I would treat it the same way I treat my BA, but if someone were to hit me or something were to happen, I think I would be in a bit of trouble!
While that's true it's an off chance. As far as the whole 21 thing goes, I'd say it comes down to insurance, not to how they treat the cars. I don't think the hire companies care how the cars are treated, no amount of thrashing is going to break a factory spec auto XR6 anyway, they are built to withstand all kinds of abuse. The hire companies just just buy them at discounted rates, service them, have whatever breaks fixed under warranty and then offload them to an auction.
Old 16-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #30
Supercharged

As they have always said, the fastest cars on the road are rent a cars.
Under 25's also pay a higher premium as well.
Closed Thread