Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-10-2006, 04:02 PM   #1
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Default Alpine Head Unit

So, just when I had the brass together to put the extractors on my car, the 6-stacker premium sound head unit goes and craps itself.

Not worth fixing of course, but I kind of like the stock look, so I devise a scheme to keep the original head unit installed. This involves buying a 30GB iPod and an FM transmitter, This way, thinks I, I'lll just keep my music on the iPod and pick it up through the FM tuner.

Only one problem. The head unit has crapped itself in such a manner that it keeps switching between radio and CD about every 20 seconds, all on its own. It can't actually play a CD, of course, it just switches to CD, has a look, decides it can't do anything and switches to radio again, then repeats this about 20 seconds later. I can't eject the CDs either.

Its obvious I've got to get the CDs out of the head unit somehow. So I get some coat hangers, make the special tools to remove the head unit, and set to it. 20 minutes later I'm holding the facia of the head unit in my hand, but the guts are still sitting in the dashboard, stubbornly refusing to move. And now I don't have a radio either.

So I go shopping. My preference at this stage is to look for a double DIN unit to fill in the whole left by the stock unit. But the problem is that the curvature of the AU Fairmont dash means that a straight-faced double DIN unit is going to look awkward. Reluctantly, I start looking at single DIN units.

After a few hours of shopping, I have a box containing one of these:

http://www.alpine-usa.com/en/product...model=CDA-9857

an Alpine CDA-9857 head unit.

I also have a brand new shiny black 30GB iPod, a rubber case to put it in, and an Alpine cable which will connect the iPod to the back of the head unit.

The grand plan is that the cable will run from the head unit to the glove box, where the iPod will live. The iPod will get its power from the head unit. This seems to solve a couple of problems, removing the need for a stacker and unsightly wires powering an iPod. All iPod song selection functions can be controlled by the head unit.

It will be installed tomorrow morning. First I have to buy a Ford pouch to fill the second DIN cavity. And I hope that the Ryda contracted installer can get it sorted without losing the rear sub.

And after having spent a grand or so on this little unforeseen exercise, the extractors are just going of have to wait a bit longer.

Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2006, 04:43 PM   #2
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus

And after having spent a grand or so on this little unforeseen exercise, the extractors are just going of have to wait a bit longer.
Damn thats... hmmm.... OUCH !!

On that note - Does the stock head unit that came in a futura have the ability to plug this cable in ???

Currently im having to use one of these to work with my MP3 player
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/IN-CAR-CASSET...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-10-2006, 06:37 PM   #3
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffAU1
Damn thats... hmmm.... OUCH !!

On that note - Does the stock head unit that came in a futura have the ability to plug this cable in ???

Currently im having to use one of these to work with my MP3 player
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/IN-CAR-CASSET...QQcmdZViewItem
No. It's a fairly recent development. Compatible head units are marked "iPod Ready". Every manufacturer making compatible head units manufacture their own cables.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:12 PM   #4
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Very nice. I read that it can connet to the steering wheel control?
Old 02-10-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIII XR8 MAN
Very nice. I read that it can connet to the steering wheel control?
Yes, if you buy an external module.

FWIW the installer reckons he can connect it to the steering wheel controls without the accessory. He wants $80 to do it. I'm tossing up whether its worthwhile because the head unit comes with a remote.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:49 PM   #6
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Quote:
Yes, if you buy an external module.

FWIW the installer reckons he can connect it to the steering wheel controls without the accessory. He wants $80 to do it. I'm tossing up whether its worthwhile because the head unit comes with a remote.
Thanks for that. I have had remote in the pass but found that can be hard to use or find, plus i ready like my steering wheel control now.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:32 PM   #7
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Get some pics done when you get it finished. Im thinking of doing the same HU and hooking up my IPOD.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2006, 10:40 PM   #8
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

my girlfriend recently bought this unit at JB HiFi. I installed it in her Mirage just last week. The ipod cable came free from JB, even though this model isn't supposed to have it. I have noticed, that the quality through the ipod is actually better then the CD player, strangely enough, since CD's are digital, I am not 100% certain why this is so, unless of course quality is lost in the D/A converters from the CD drive to the internal amps. My gf already had the 60gig ipod video, so it has worked out well.

P.S, I reckon whatever it costs, get the steering wheel buttons to work. It would be terrible having buttons on steering that dont' do anything.
FordACE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 03:45 PM   #9
Abacus
Life's a Gas

OK,

I took this pic with my phone. Picture quality is crap, but then again so is the installation, so I guess they match.

Note the following:

- The Ford pouch used to fill the 2nd DIN slot is curved but the head unit is flat, so the pouch protrudes forward as it goes across the base of the head unit. Looks shite. Can't think of a better way to do it.

- Gormless installer ground too much off the top corners of the facia surround, so you can see the steel backing plate. Not happy Jan.

I've had several other issues including:

- Diminished FM radio reception

and

- The installer couldn't wire the head unit up to the OEM Premium Sound amp and sub

I have addressed these issues, and others, in the audio tech forum:

Alpine Head Unit - AU Premium Sound

Alpine Head Unit- FM Radio Reception

Head Unit Install - The Saga Continues

On the plus side, the sound is crisp and clear and the iPod integration works very well.

Operations wise, my own experience is very much is line with this review at C-net, so here's the link:

C=net review Alpine CDA-9857

Most of my negative issues are installer related. I have been told by a few different people now that most after-market radio receivers don't perform as well as the OEM stuff, for whatever reason. And if you are replacing a premium sound system, be prepared to dick around to get your bass back.

Apart from that, it's all good.
Old 05-10-2006, 04:22 PM   #10
rayner22
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^ You can get a different pocket from REPCO and its made especially for the AU, has a border around the top to fill in the gaps around the HU. And the best part is its front is FLAT!!
rayner22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 04:39 PM   #11
TE50 027
Tickford Tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayner22
You can get a different pocket from REPCO and its made especially for the AU, has a border around the top to fill in the gaps around the HU. And the best part is its front is FLAT!!
Don't suppose you know the part number for that part.
TE50 027 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2006, 06:16 PM   #12
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayner22
^^^ You can get a different pocket from REPCO and its made especially for the AU, has a border around the top to fill in the gaps around the HU. And the best part is its front is FLAT!!
I think I will be giving Repco a cal ltomorrow.
Old 06-10-2006, 05:35 PM   #13
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE50 027
Don't suppose you know the part number for that part.
They are made by Aerpro. P/N FP995200

www.aerpro.com.au

"Ford AU Falc/Focus 2000-2004/Ford Cougar Facia Kit Facia Kit
Suits Models:
- Ford Falcon AU Ser 1
- Ford Focus 2000-2004
- Ford Focus ZX3 2 dr. 2000-2002
- Ford Focus ZX5 4 dr. 2002
- Ford Cougar 1999-2002
Comprises moulded facia plate with pocket and rear mounting bracket. To suit DIN mount aftermarket radio.
Packed in poly bag with full colour header card.

Barcode: 086429077458 "

They only come in black, so no good to me.

Repco at Artarmon say they have some other models available, including one that has fold-out drink holders and another that has a fold-out CD tray. I will stop by and look at their catalogue if I can find the time.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:06 AM   #14
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
They are made by Aerpro. P/N FP995200

www.aerpro.com.au

Barcode: 086429077458 "

They only come in black, so no good to me.
Couldnt' you spray paint it to match it to your car?
Old 07-10-2006, 12:41 AM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Abacus - when I initially installed my single DIN JVC DVD, I had the same issue with the protruding pocket. I put up with it for a while, but even for me, where close enough is good enough, I had to do something about it.

So I pulled the H/U back out and instead of just using the metal pins on the single DIN metal bracket to hold the H/U in position, I pulled the bracket/frame about 5/10mm forward and screwed it into the side of the facia (from the inside so you can't see the screws). Now the H/U covers the pocket and it looks 1,000,000 times better. I suggest you do the same. The top of the H/U surround is now flush with the AU surround.

BTW - that's a crappy trimming job they did - I would go back to the installer and insist a new surround.

Your other option is to paint the Repco surround - maybe body colour; you won't match the light grey exactly, so you need to make it look like it's supposed to be custom/different. Maybe do the door handle surrounds the same colour so it "blends" into the interior.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2006, 12:40 AM   #16
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
So I pulled the H/U back out and instead of just using the metal pins on the single DIN metal bracket to hold the H/U in position, I pulled the bracket/frame about 5/10mm forward and screwed it into the side of the facia (from the inside so you can't see the screws). Now the H/U covers the pocket and it looks 1,000,000 times better. I suggest you do the same. The top of the H/U surround is now flush with the AU surround.
Yes, doing something like that was the first thing I thought after I saw the appalling installation. Then the mongrel s.o.b. didn't give me the head unit keys, even though I asked for them, so I couldn't pull the unit out and have a look. I'd like to find out where he lives so I can steal his beer, shoot his dog, and burn his house down. As I said above, not happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
BTW - that's a crappy trimming job they did - I would go back to the installer and insist a new surround.
See above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Your other option is to paint the Repco surround - maybe body colour; you won't match the light grey exactly, so you need to make it look like it's supposed to be custom/different. Maybe do the door handle surrounds the same colour so it "blends" into the interior.
I'm really not much of a handyman or painter. There is no way I could get it looking decent.

Plastic chrome would be a possibility. Any idea who actually does this stuff?
Old 08-10-2006, 08:36 AM   #17
janek
Ripping it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordACE
Couldnt' you spray paint it to match it to your car?
The aepro ones are for AU1 only.

If you have a double DIN player, its no good... Trust me, i know frem experience. same with the loom adapters, au1 only
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 10:36 AM   #18
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

my install looks just like yours abucus only i done it myself

the little gap in between the pocket and headunit you can't get rid of it.. unless you put a screw through the top of the pocket into the headunit lol

oh and the pocket i got is grey like yours but my cars a series II so the surrounds black.

looks ok though
Momo Gear Knob
Schmick Pioneer Headunit w/ Dolphinvision :
4 Channel Kicker Amp to decent speakers;
Alpine Monoblock to Pioneer Subwoofer;
Tuned to perfect clarity-

Outside:

Pure Sexy Falcon w/18" BA XR8 Factory Option Mags
Clear Side Indicators

Coming soon:
Pedders lowered Sports Ryders all 'round
Extractors/Exhaust/Hi-Flo Cat
foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 01:57 PM   #19
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Look here for how to close the gap up, i just detailed what i did. All it is, is making up a surround to go round the stereo and the pocket

Cheers
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2006, 09:16 PM   #20
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Shame about the gap bewteen HU & pocket.
Old 14-10-2006, 02:48 AM   #21
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by janek
The aepro ones are for AU1 only.

If you have a double DIN player, its no good... Trust me, i know frem experience. same with the loom adapters, au1 only
So what options are available for AU2 onwards?
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 09:33 AM   #22
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

I disagree, grabbed an AU falcon (Aerpro) ISO connector thinking it would go straight into headunit (lol)

found out the colours matched up perfectly with the loom that came with my Pioneer Headunit.

The Aerpro if you look closely had each wire marked for what it was, Left speaker neg, left speaker pos, +12v, Ignition, etc etc.

Ended up chopping the ISO bits off and just soldering each colour to the same colour on the Pioneer one and made up a perfect adapter. worked perfect.
Momo Gear Knob

Outside:

Clear Side Indicators

Coming soon:
Old 16-10-2006, 02:58 PM   #23
kryzak260
Brembo Lover

I have no idea why they trimmed the surround like that. It fits in there perfectly without triming if you do it properly. I also cant believe he took your money while leaving it in such a condition. That is the reason that i do all of this stuff myself.

Here is my Alpine CDA-9815 (older model) install in my Fairlane. Far better, though it does still have the HU-pocket gap which shits me to hell out:

I know it is a little far away, but as you can see, no metal frame (because it doesnt need trimming) and it is a job you can do at home better than an install can!

Cheers,
Michael

Hers: 2006 BF Super Pursuit in Vixen
kryzak260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-10-2006, 04:09 PM   #24
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot
I disagree, grabbed an AU falcon (Aerpro) ISO connector thinking it would go straight into headunit (lol)

found out the colours matched up perfectly with the loom that came with my Pioneer Headunit.

The Aerpro if you look closely had each wire marked for what it was, Left speaker neg, left speaker pos, +12v, Ignition, etc etc.

Ended up chopping the ISO bits off and just soldering each colour to the same colour on the Pioneer one and made up a perfect adapter. worked perfect.
I missed the main point here which is i own a series II
Momo Gear Knob

Outside:

Clear Side Indicators

Coming soon:
Old 16-10-2006, 07:01 PM   #25
janek
Ripping it up

the onlyother option for s2 is the pocket from ford. $16 I THINK..

wiring harnes,just use the one that comes with the h/u, cut and solder the oem ones. cant get better. its a bit more work, but worth it, and it all fits much cleaner.

if anyone has installed a fantom face xl unit in their au without chopping anything off the fascia, i salute you... i had to get the ange grinderto mine, as it sat up about 1cm too high. i think its the best head unit tho.
janek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 10:04 PM   #26
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryzak260
I have no idea why they trimmed the surround like that. It fits in there perfectly without triming if you do it properly. I also cant believe he took your money while leaving it in such a condition. That is the reason that i do all of this stuff myself.

Here is my Alpine CDA-9815 (older model) install in my Fairlane. Far better, though it does still have the HU-pocket gap which shits me to hell out:

I know it is a little far away, but as you can see, no metal frame (because it doesnt need trimming) and it is a job you can do at home better than an install can!

Cheers,
Michael
Michael,

When you installed the Alpine head unit did you hook it up to the dash illumination so that it dims when the headlights are on? The installer did not do it in mine, and I find the lights are way too bright for night driving.

Also, what did you do about your sub?
Old 17-10-2006, 03:08 PM   #27
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by janek
the onlyother option for s2 is the pocket from ford. $16 I THINK..

wiring harnes,just use the one that comes with the h/u, cut and solder the oem ones. cant get better. its a bit more work, but worth it, and it all fits much cleaner.

if anyone has installed a fantom face xl unit in their au without chopping anything off the fascia, i salute you... i had to get the ange grinderto mine, as it sat up about 1cm too high. i think its the best head unit tho.
Why do that and chop into your original ford harness when you can do what i done with a little bit of soldering and a $20 item.

Oh and abacus not all headunits have a dim wire out, mine didn't but the car did... with my headunit you can manually adjust the brightness in it's settings (check your manual).

May be able to do it with your alpine as well.

Mine used to be soooo bright and blue it was distracting i turned the brightness from 12 to 8.
Momo Gear Knob

Outside:

Clear Side Indicators

Coming soon:
Old 17-10-2006, 04:12 PM   #28
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot
Oh and abacus not all headunits have a dim wire out, mine didn't but the car did... with my headunit you can manually adjust the brightness in it's settings (check your manual).

May be able to do it with your alpine as well.

Mine used to be soooo bright and blue it was distracting i turned the brightness from 12 to 8.
I checked the manual - the h/u has the dim wire. The installer just didn't connect it.

Around Sydney, the light is OK. But when I drove through the night from Sydney to Qld last week it was annoying and distracting, bordering on dangerous.
Old 17-10-2006, 06:42 PM   #29
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
I checked the manual - the h/u has the dim wire. The installer just didn't connect it.

Around Sydney, the light is OK. But when I drove through the night from Sydney to Qld last week it was annoying and distracting, bordering on dangerous.
you can manually dim it. I have installed my gfs without the dimming wire attached, (due to laziness).
Old 18-10-2006, 09:00 AM   #30
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

Quote:

I can pull my headunit out and tell you what colour wire to hook it to if you like...?
Momo Gear Knob

Outside:

Clear Side Indicators

Coming soon: