Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 20-10-2006, 10:10 PM   #1
Jorgo85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Shifter: Solid or Rubber mount??

I'm currently looking at making a short shifter for my EF. I've taken the gear stick out and found a rubberized mount where it joins to the gear box. I was wondering what the pros and cons of having a solid mount (metal)..... :eclipsee_

Jorgo85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 10:31 PM   #2
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

Umm, underneath that shifter is a ballbearing type linkage that goes into the gearbox.

I can't see any advantage to a solid mount?
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2006, 10:47 PM   #3
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm sure someone told me that solid mounting it is noisy....could be wrong though.
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 03:36 AM   #4
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

^^sound like that could be true, you'd have to find out for sure tho.

EFXR65spd: when ya finish post pics and tell us how ya did it. i want to know!!
Old 21-10-2006, 03:02 PM   #5
Jorgo85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphell
I'm sure someone told me that solid mounting it is noisy....could be wrong though.
I've got 2 Type R 12" subs and 2 sets of Type R 6.5" splits to drown that out. Noise isn't an issue. What I'm worried about is breaking synchro's and ****. All I'll be doing is making a shorter gear stick (so it reduces throw) and putting a hand made billet aluminium knob on it. The rubber mount is on the bottom of the factory gear stick and has two bolts connecting it to the selector on the top of the box.
Old 21-10-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
Plunkett
never enough power

I just though it was there to reduce vibration from the box? The selector will still be mounted by the same 2 little bolts so I don't see how it would improve or hinder anything.
Old 21-10-2006, 03:55 PM   #7
Rollin
Banned

It will probably make your shifting more direct, but also more notchy and you will get more transmission noise up through the shifter, which you have said you dont care about.

Something I have noticed is that the rubber insulator you are talking about seems to differ between vehicles - I've driven some E-series where the shifter feels like the bolts are loose, even though I've just tightened them, and others which feel VERY direct...I suppose the amount of improvement you see will depend on if you are starting with a squishy insulator or a hard one...
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 05:19 PM   #8
niko
likes falcon's

if you have ddecent rubbers you shouldnt notice a difference
Old 21-10-2006, 06:02 PM   #9
Kilma

Mine is a solid mounted BPT short stick. does the job. It is a bit louder than rubber mounts, but it feels so much more solid and I love it. I will see if I can find some pics where someone has done it as well.
Kilma is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2006, 07:06 PM   #10
SupahStah
Tha Stah

Ive got a solid mount gear leaver...
Pros of Solid: Easier to find gates, easier to change, better for the 1/4mile, dont wear out.
Cons of solid: Noisier, rougher sliding in and out of gates (on the hands) no difference for the gear box itself.

Pros of Rubber: Smoother changes into gates, stock, quiet.
Cons of Rubber: They wear out, harder to find gates.

Well, thats my take on it... I perfer the solid heaps more, Though I did mention noisier, you dont notice it unless the car is off... I also have a shorter shifter.

Hope this has helped,

SupahStah
Soon To Come: |Largish Cam + Chip|
ETA: *When the bank account is ready *
SupahStah is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 09:47 PM   #11
Jorgo85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The new shifter is in the car. Just got a bit more polishing to do on the knob. Not that knob. BradensEBxr6, What I have done is taken a piece of 20mm dia. 316 stainless steel round bar(solid) and turned one end down to 10mm dia. about 50mm long and cut a M10 thread on it 30mm long. On the other end of the stick, I cut up the centre of the round bar about 40mm to create a flat surface to mount to the selector and I have put a small S bend in the stick. I can't tell you how long I cut the round bar because I didn't measure that. Was a "that looks about right" thingy. I will post some pics when I've finished "knob polishing" and I work out how to use photobucket
Old 24-10-2006, 09:58 PM   #12
Jorgo85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also if you make your own, you'll need to replace the two bolts at the base of the stick because the factory ones don't have a long enough thread. When you replace them, make sure they're high tensile so they don't snap. High tensile bolts usually have 8.8 stamped on the head.
Old 25-10-2006, 01:39 PM   #13
EDXR65SPEED

I know a bloke who just removed his shift lever via the two bolts and cut the stick in half. Then put a thread on the end to screw the OEM knob back on. Looked good.
EDXR65SPEED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2006, 08:49 AM   #14
SwarvJarv
Ea Falcon S

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXR65SPEED
I know a bloke who just removed his shift lever via the two bolts and cut the stick in half. Then put a thread on the end to screw the OEM knob back on. Looked good.
Thats what im doin when i get my new gear stick...:
5 speed Manual
Motivator Headers with 2.1/2" RedBack system
XR x GT Hybrid Body
15" 'Snowflakes'
90' GL Interior
Custom Black Vinyl Roof
Custom Console Lid
9" LCD + PS2
Boss CD/MP3 head unit 50x4w
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmyers
I was considering chucking on a full Kappa tracksuit but reconsidered :P
SwarvJarv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2006, 08:53 AM   #15
niko
likes falcon's

but that's just literally shorter, with the same strokes.
Old 28-10-2006, 09:46 PM   #16
Jorgo85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Shorter stick means shorter strokes. It all pivots from one point. The longer the stick, the longer the radius, the longer the throw.
Old 28-10-2006, 10:49 PM   #17
efgiar
rofl copter

that rubber is to stop vibration on the stick from the gearbox, its a crap load better if u take it out and run the stick solidly mounted to the box

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post