Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 24-02-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Mate smashed my car, how should i go about it?

Went out last night clubbing 4 of us, one of my mates volenterd to be the designated driver so I told him you smash my car you pay for it. he agreed, as were going home it's a bit wet.

we came to an intersection and some one said get it sideways, so he attempted to be a race car driver, went sideways and straight into a wall.

front bumper
bonnet
rh gaurd
head light

and not sure what else are ****ed as you'd expect i absolutly cracked the sh**s, he isn't a good mate but he apologized and said he will get it fixed but I don't know if I should get the police involved for a statement or what?

The car is not here, I havn't touched it since it hit the wall I said it's your problem you take it home and you fix it.

It's the merc by the way.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
Old 24-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Mates and Money dont mix

Protect your own ***, I dont see why you need to get Mr Plod involved on this one.

Your issue as I see it is he covered under your insurance
Old 24-02-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't have full comp

Old 24-02-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEaaron
I don't have full comp
Insurance company wont touch it - it is coming out of someones pocket. (and if you do manage to get to talk to the insurer about some $$, my suggestion is to leave out the bit about him trying to be Marcos Ambrose, because that will definately kill your chances)
Old 24-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The crash was the result of an inexpiranced P plater trying to show off in some one elses car. not only that he is the designated driver listening to some drunk guy yelling get it sideways.

It aint comming out of my pocket that's all I know. I'm not going to pay a single cent.

Old 24-02-2008, 10:44 AM   #6
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

I guess you'll see how good your friendship is.

What where you thinking letting hime drive the car if it is not insured, does he have enough money to fix it?

Learn your lesson, don't trust anyone with your possessions and especially if they are not insured.

He might think he was doing you a favor by driving you guys around and beleive it is not his problem

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 24-02-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
Sam
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get some quotes first, it won't be cheap.
Old 24-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #8
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fact that he apologized and said he will fix it. and the he agreed if any damage was done he is responsible and I have 2 other witnesses that heard and saw this. should come into play

Old 24-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #9
Steffo
LPG > You

I'm not sure if it would help, but getting it signed in writing from him stating that he will pay for repairs might be an idea?
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 24-02-2008, 10:52 AM   #10
BAWagonWheels

first of all, make sure you get a police report (damage excess $500) and along with that get a letter of demands issued by your legal counsel. present that to your mate as that will cover your ***. verbal agreement ain't good enough.

if your mate cannot resolve the repair or costs then its just bad luck, you'll need to proceed further in getting a court order to salvage costs of damage.

and after all this, highly recommend getting full comprehensive insurance, otherwise if any accidents happen again you're up sheep creek. save yourself the burden.
Old 24-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #11
groops

Yeah, gotta get it in writing...the word of 2 drunk guys is not going to hold up.

Good luck mate, I know how much of an *** this can be.

Mike
Old 24-02-2008, 11:00 AM   #12
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 24-02-2008, 11:06 AM   #13
TRRTRY

that looks expensive dude - i'd say a repairer would quote somewhere in the $5k mark, maybe more!
Old 24-02-2008, 11:07 AM   #14
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can some one write out the thing I will get him to sign for me. saying it was his fault, or give me a good idea of what to write

Old 24-02-2008, 11:08 AM   #15
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you were in the car with your mates urging the driver to do silly things and you want him to pay for it,.
why dont you all do the right thing and all put in to fix car.thats what a group of mates would do usually in my days.
you sook
Old 24-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #16
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas
you were in the car with your mates urging the driver to do silly things and you want him to pay for it,.
why dont you all do the right thing and all put in to fix car.thats what a group of mates would do usually in my days.
you sook
i kind of agree with this, you were probably all having a good time up untill he lost it,

all pitch in and pay for it, you'll have it on the road sooner, and learn from your mistake, dont let anyone drive your car
Old 24-02-2008, 11:13 AM   #17
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
you sook
Sook? how would you feel if some on smashed your straight mercedes 450se that you worked hard to afford as an 18 year old apprentice?

I don't have the money to fix this, and I need the car to get to work.

Old 24-02-2008, 11:22 AM   #18
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

drive your cortina,its a 1978 model ,go get some parts from wrecking yard,you might even find one same colour,could get out quite cheaply
Old 24-02-2008, 11:24 AM   #19
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Off the road.

Old 24-02-2008, 11:26 AM   #20
FTGAutosalvage
Commercial Sponsor

Quote:
you sook
totally agree , pool resources from the people that were in the car , You are all mates and that should come first! Its the Aussie way!
someone in the group will know or have a brother ect that is, or knows a panel beater that can help you out. someone might know of a merc wreck somewhere. someone might be a fabricator/welder that can assist. One of the people might know stuff all about cars , send them to get the lunches and the beers.
This is the way it works with my mates! before you know it your car will be fixed and you all move on.
Old 24-02-2008, 11:28 AM   #21
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If it was one of my good mates it'd be a different story.

Old 24-02-2008, 11:29 AM   #22
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Don't you trust your mate will live up to his word? If so, give him a chance to do the right thing before going off and twisting his arm legally.

Unfortunately thats life. Next time split a cab, much safer and everyone can enjoy themselves.

Just saw your above post. I've gotta ask why did you trust your car to someone you dont class as a good mate??? I have trouble lending my car to my brother or letting my best mate drive it and I know they are both good drivers, let alone just an aquaintence I dont trust, which seems to be the real issue here.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Old 24-02-2008, 11:32 AM   #23
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That was the plain, but I'm worried about leaving it to long if he doesn't do anything about it, he has verbaly agreed to pay for it but I can imagine now that the shock is over things might change.

Old 24-02-2008, 11:34 AM   #24
boss-290

Why didn't you tell him not to do silly car tricks despite your other so called mates?

Surely your wish would have been respected. Perhaps you should have opened your mouth.
Old 24-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #25
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was drunk, that was the reason he was the designated driver. all I remember is him going flat out from an intersection the back end kicking out then him over correcting straight into a wall.

Old 24-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #26
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

You were in the car obviously,what were you saying when the egging on was happening?
Were you in the front or back seat?
Old 24-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #27
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
You were in the car obviously,what were you saying when the egging on was happening?
Were you in the front or back seat?
I was in the back seat.
I can't remember what I said but it definatly wasn't try get my immaculate Mercedes benz sideways from this intersection.

Old 24-02-2008, 11:48 AM   #28
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Now you can jump up and down all you want for what Im about to say, but IMO its 50% your own fault.
No way I can see someone would have drove like that if the owner was in the car and made it 100% clear stuff like that is not on..
Ive had a P plater drive my 550hp manual falcon heaps of times while ive been drinking,and not once even a chirp from the wheels,I was 100% clear what was expected and what would follow if the rules were broken..
Sure you werent even a little involved in the egging on?
Ill lay odds you were,after all its human nature to want to show off what your cool big car is capable of,mix a few drink's and youthfull over confidence with it and there a cocktail for exactly what happend..

One more thing Ill add, NEVER get so drunk your not in control of yourself...
Old 24-02-2008, 11:49 AM   #29
KBBossedXR
GetBlown or GetBlown Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEaaron
If it was one of my good mates it'd be a different story.

Sorry bro but it looks like you bought this on your self, My dad would be the only person that sits in my drivers seat bar a mechanic, and you let someone that you dont even call a good mate.

In your car description you have stated very clearly that you have paid for both your cars with YOUR OWN MONEY.
I suggest you better start saving again.
Old 24-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #30
Steffo
LPG > You

Some of the 'advice,' in this thread is worse then useless. Unbelievable.

If I were more qualified to give advice for this sort of situation I would, however its something I'm yet to (and hopefully will never) encounter, so I'm not completley sure on how to help.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Closed Thread