Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-02-2006, 10:25 PM   #1
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

Default Comparatve tyre wear and life.

was just wondering if anyone has the figures comparing tyre wear, both patterns and life for different dimension rims and tyres. but especially rims, ie 16's v's 17's

Orbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 01:30 AM   #2
EvilChief
Boost Addict

16s vs 17s will di little for tyre life ... more like brand, type, model, condition, etc

Townsville NQ

17" 235 Falken Azenis St115
18" 245 Falken Azenis ST115
26000km

17" Toyo Trampio
2000km no wear (only used for racing)

had some otehr brands over the years but not all that crash hot and i cant remember
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 06:34 PM   #3
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

what are people getting out of their 16's?
Orbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2006, 06:41 PM   #4
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Dunlop 9000's, 235/45x17 I got 33,000klm's, could have got more if I had noticed the scrubing on the inside edge a little sooner and got my allignment fixed.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 03:22 PM   #5
BJMXR

I was speaking to a ford dealer who said alot of the factory BA XR8 18" Rims on the fitted Dunlops were only getting 20,000 km/s. I have always been lead to believe that the bigger the rim, the faster the tyre wear...

Ive always used Bridgestone... always satisfied... ive been told alot of Dunlop rubber is softer and therefore wears quicker... but im no expert! thats for sure...
Lowered on King SL & SSL
KONI "Yellows" Fully Adjustable Shocks
2.5in Stainless Herrods Cat back
Black Leather Interior
BJMXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 03:34 PM   #6
stiddy
Banned

when i had my stock 16's, I had GT Radials GTX20's or something along those lines..

I was replacing a pair every 5-6 months - 10,000k's other words, although they are a really soft compound and wear down fairly fast, I just speed up the process..

ive got nanking sport 2's on 18's at the moment its been 5 months and they still have 40% tread on them, with the same amount of spirited driving..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 04:00 PM   #7
Nik

i've got sava's on the back of mine 225 50 16's and there done 20000 + k's and done about 20 runs down the qtr ,plus i don't mind a bit of fun every now and then .ther got about 30/40% tread left and they seem to grip the best out of all the tyres i've had.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 05:06 PM   #8
xr8ute
Back on the road

I've been getting a bit over 35,000 out of the SP3000A's on my ute. I rotate the tyres between the front and back of the car, and wear is very even.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 08:30 PM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Sava Intensa 235/45R17 on Territory wheels.
35,000km ... more than 50% tread left.
Heavy load driving ... towing as well.
only 2 burnouts (damn hard to do with no power) .... rotated them once.
dry grip is pretty good for me .. wet grip ... well ... I drive conservatively in the wet (after a scare a few years ago).

I am happy with them ... they have performed better than I expected and are suited perfectly to my needs.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 09:13 PM   #10
stiddy
Banned

Sava in my opinion are the worst tyres in the world, ive got them on the celica, and i refuse to ever fit them to any car I ever own again..
they are the most dangerous tyres in the wet, and really dont do anything for me in the dry, they last ages probably cause they are a ИИИИty hard compound..
Old 12-02-2006, 09:47 PM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Probably why it works or me ... also my wheels are ultra heavy and I carry heavy load all of the time ... so my grip levels are OK I guess. I know in the wet they aren't the best ... wheelspinning is easy ... but i always take it easy in the wet though.

The Celica also being a FWD vehicle and weight transfer under acceleration doesn't help in traction. I remember in my old Proton Satria I had issues with Falken tyres ... very bad plough understeer in the wet (the old Goodyear Eagle GAs handled better and gave me awesome lift-off oversteer ... in a FWD car ... LOL)
Old 12-02-2006, 10:07 PM   #12
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k

awesome lift-off oversteer ... in a FWD car ... LOL

HAHA i know exactly what you mean, it feels so weird correcting a front wheel drive car without ever touching the handbrake..
Old 12-02-2006, 10:19 PM   #13
buickman
buickman

I got about 60,000kms out of the 17" Simex tyres. The Dunlop SP's seemed to grip well but no where the lasting of the Simex. The Yoko C drive are a great gripping tyre especially in the wet but I've only done about 5,000Kms so not to sure how long they will last
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 10:35 PM   #14
rayner22
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive got Yokohama C-Drives on my AU and theyve done bout 22000k's and they still look near new
LOL still got a spare set (brand new) sitting in the garage...
rayner22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 10:48 PM   #15
DTFRMONT

Haven't changed the tyres in mine yet (not far off) but with previous cars I had, I always had a good run out of Bridgestones, got nearly 100000 k's out of a set I had on my EA
DTFRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2006, 11:01 PM   #16
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayner22
Ive got Yokohama C-Drives on my AU and theyve done bout 22000k's and they still look near new
LOL still got a spare set (brand new) sitting in the garage...
Damn ... investing early.
How much you want for them ... hee hee ... just kidding.
Old 13-02-2006, 12:08 AM   #17
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFRMONT
Haven't changed the tyres in mine yet (not far off) but with previous cars I had, I always had a good run out of Bridgestones, got nearly 100000 k's out of a set I had on my EA
They must have been down to canvas by the time you replaced them.

Most hard compound tyres are good for 40 to 50000. Most soft compound around 20 to 30000. Soft is better for all round grip (generally). Hard is for the family hack with no performance aspirations at all.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2006, 09:17 AM   #18
Autocade

Orbit
Dunlop SP 9000 235/45/17-gone by 28000 km & rotated balanced and aligned every 15000 km
Probably would have got another 20% but had a front camber alignment issue which was rectified with a kit from Pedders before new tyres

Since replaced with Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 235/45/17 -34000 km so far and rotated balanced and aligned every 10000 km with camber kit installed and probably have 20% left
Autocade is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 06:20 PM   #19
rayner22
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Damn ... investing early.
How much you want for them ... hee hee ... just kidding.
I bought em off a mate that used to work at an unnamed tyre retailer, he sorta made an "accidental" error on the invoice, I somehow ended up with two sets instead of one LOL
rayner22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 09:17 PM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Damn ... what a mistake that was.
Old 14-02-2006, 09:46 PM   #21
DTFRMONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
They must have been down to canvas by the time you replaced them.

Most hard compound tyres are good for 40 to 50000. Most soft compound around 20 to 30000. Soft is better for all round grip (generally). Hard is for the family hack with no performance aspirations at all.

Yep, I think I exaggerated with the mileage (a few years ago now) but I remember I had the tyres on the car for nearly 3 years - Bridgestone G-Grids..
DTFRMONT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2006, 10:08 PM   #22
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

firenzas done 20k on 225 50 16 at this stage looks like they will make 30000ks, seems an ok allrounder still wearing good, but i look after em
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 04:01 AM   #23
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

So far I've done about 20k on my tyres (16") since replacing them and they were the cheapest I could find at the time. Got stacks of tread left... and for my first rear wheel drive, and guarenteed to spin them in the wet... I'm very happy with myself for making them last so long... esp. seeing that my last set of tyres I bought were for a Barina and only lasted me 6 months.

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2006, 09:03 AM   #24
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Just a note - At one stage years ago i had Yokohama 352's on my XE and they were terrible , extremelly soft rubber , the workings of them just didn't make sence for a soft tyre. I would allways be sideways in the wet - terrible traction wet or dry and they wore out in a few months. And yeah thos old Goodyear Eagles were excellent tyres , lasted ages and excellent grip - just they had that awefull high pitch squeel if u smoked them up ..lol
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 08:09 AM   #25
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Hahaaha ... yeah I had the Eagle GAs on my Satria from factory ... and they made the highest pitch squeal when lighting them up ... I was surprised about the grip level for such a crap-looking tyre ... but they lasted forever and had pretty damn good grip .... left decent smoke and tyre marks as well.
Old 16-02-2006, 09:28 AM   #26
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

bloody oaf ! ..lol..- do they still make them ?
Old 16-02-2006, 12:23 PM   #27
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I think they are called the Ducaro GA now ... I think the "eagle" name has been killed off.

Different design and technology now.
Old 16-02-2006, 12:34 PM   #28
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

my god everything has advanced heaps in technology since my 'hey day' ! , really makes me start to feel old ! ..lol .