Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-04-2007, 11:29 PM   #1
Jeld-Wen Falcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Interstate P's

I currently live in Tasmania, I am on my Provision license but as part of the Tassie rules, I dont show my P-Plates after the first 12 months and im allowed to travel at any posted speed, ive had my license for 18 months so I dont show them and i go the limit. However im going on a holiday to Sydney in about 1 week and I may have to do some driving. Now, whos rules do I go by, do i have to show plates and slow down or do i do as i currently do?

Cheers.

Jeld-Wen Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 11:42 PM   #2
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

I'm pretty sure you would need to follow the NSW rules, and if you have reason to speak with the local constabulary, then you might politely point out the situation in Tassie, and explain that you weren't 100% sure.
As long as you aren't doing anything really stupid, don't act smart if you do get pulled up, and look like you were genuinely making the effort to follow NSW P plater rules, you should be ok.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 11:46 PM   #3
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

We went through this with my 16 year old daughter driving our XR8 in QLD on a NT license. As long as she drove within the limits of her NT license she was legal. I think that you will be the same. But obviously you will have to obey NSW road laws. I dont think that you will need to wear "P" plates as your Tassie license does not require you to.

Cheers.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:46 PM   #4
El_Poochino

It's a greay area. I've asked about Vic P in NSW and have had answers range from follow your own state's laws to if you don't display NSW P plates you will get done for not displaying plates (despite having Vic Ps up).

Call up a NSW cop, get his details and ask him. So if you do get pulled over, you can say such and such said it was OK, gives you something to fall back on.
El_Poochino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 12:14 AM   #5
Bill_R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

agree with Outbackjack here. The states have an agreement where they accept the licenses (and some other things) from other states. You would need to observe NSW traffic rules but, I think, the conditions of your license.

I think this resulted in a loophole in NSW where some visiting P-Plate drivers who had a .05 Blood BAL limit in their state were able to drive in NSW up to a 0.05 level (WA still has a 0.02 level I think - most otherts are now at 0) The NSW Gov't looked at closing that loophole but I don't know if that has happened yet.
Bill_R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post