Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-09-2005, 11:14 PM   #1
shane3
FPV GT 0915

Default Cheap speakers/car theft scam!!!!!

On the way home from work I had a guy in a van pull up beside me and tell me how good my GT looked, then he and his mate asked if I had a surround system as they picked one up at a place they did some work at, and were going to sell it cheap!, told them no thanks and they took off as they went past I could see in the back of the van another guy sitting in the back, not in the passenger’s seat, then the penny dropped, this is an old trick...you get out to look at the surround sound system, they wack you and take your car.

Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 11:18 PM   #2
EB-maen
Rise, Toybota!

Serious? Some tools in a van wound their window down and started speaking to me as I entered a carpark a few weeks ago saying whether I wanted a surround sound system, and I just told them that I already had one. At the time I just thought they were overly annoying salesman who run some dodgy stereo operation

13.156 @ 110kph... down the highway :P

EB-maen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2005, 11:46 PM   #3
chippa6
Novice Professional

I have encountered this a few times also but it is legit. I interviewed a guy a while ago and that was what he was doing, its just a new and different style of the ol' "door to door".

I have heard of people impersonating these "genuine" van salespeople and selling hot stuff.

Chippa
Old 10-09-2005, 11:52 PM   #4
davocol
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you might be thinking the worst here Shane, this aint L.A. They probably just had a hot stereo system they wanted to offload and picked you because a gt would look like you had money, the other scam I know of is getting cheap speakers and putting them in an expensive outer casing. This happens fairly regulary as far as I know.
Old 11-09-2005, 12:53 AM   #5
buickman
buickman

That happened to me while on a couple of days holiday's on the gold coast earlier this year at the Pacific Fair shopping centre. They looked dodgy but I was driving a Corolla hire car so I don't think they would not have wanted the car.
Not sure if legit or stolen goods.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 01:10 AM   #6
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane3
this is an old trick...you get out to look at the surround sound system, they wack you and take your car.
As others have said, probably not what they were doing, and as mentioned they probably do have sound systems, ( this has been hapening for ages ), they sell up the system as super special but going at a good price, and id say they catch plenty of people ready to part wih thier hard earnt.

How ever in most cases the quality is crap, but then again reality is not what most people work with, its perception, if the buyer thinks they have bought a top line system for a few hundred they will go home and probably think that way no matter what its really worth or sounds like.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 02:36 AM   #7
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
but then again reality is not what most people work with,
its perception, if the buyer thinks they have bought a top line system for a few hundred they will go home and probably think that way no matter what its really worth or sounds like.
Completely agree DOC. Perception is underrated
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 07:57 AM   #8
The Monty
Just slidin'

Me and my mate were at a shopping centre the other day, and a couple said they had just won a surround sound system and needed to get rid of it (for free) as they already had one. Sounded suss. Legged it.
The Monty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 07:58 AM   #9
The Monty
Just slidin'

They had a crap looking bongo van.
The Monty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 08:06 AM   #10
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
On the way home from work I had a guy in a van pull up beside me and tell me how good my GT looked, then he and his mate asked if I had a surround system as they picked one up at a place they did some work at, and were going to sell it cheap!, told them no thanks and they took off as they went past I could see in the back of the van another guy sitting in the back, not in the passenger’s seat, then the penny dropped, this is an old trick...you get out to look at the surround sound system, they wack you and take your car.
This is why I recommend that you take a piece of 4 by 4 under the seat with you. I get offered speakers form guys in vans every other day.The site of an sharpened axe sends them packing.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 09:16 AM   #11
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Trust no-one. Girl at work bought a car in Sydney thru a friend. After he picked it up, sitting at the lights a car pulled up, asked him some question. Next thing he knows, he's he's lying on the road while his car is speeding off.

Caution is the best thing. especially as your in a GT.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 09:30 AM   #12
TIRED6
A V8 salute to my DEATH

[QUOTE=Bucknaked]Trust no-one. Girl at work bought a car in Sydney thru a friend. After he picked it up, sitting at the lights a car pulled up, asked him some question. Next thing he knows, he's he's lying on the road while his car is speeding off.
QUOTE]

I think there is some gender confused people around.

:hihi:
Old 11-09-2005, 09:49 AM   #13
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=TIRED6]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Trust no-one. Girl at work bought a car in Sydney thru a friend. After he picked it up, sitting at the lights a car pulled up, asked him some question. Next thing he knows, he's he's lying on the road while his car is speeding off.
QUOTE]

What do you mean
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 09:58 AM   #14
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

[QUOTE=TIRED6]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
QUOTE]

I think he means the girls friend who she bought the car thru was picking up the car and got jacked for it while delivering it.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 10:02 AM   #15
TIRED6
A V8 salute to my DEATH

OOhh, my apologies to bucknaked if that is correct.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:57 AM   #16
cogdoc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mabey someone should pull over with a car full of mates and hijack the van ?

Last edited by cogdoc; 11-09-2005 at 12:50 PM.
cogdoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 12:28 PM   #17
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
I had the same thing happen to me whilst driving the LTD down Nepean Hwy. They tried to tell me the speakers had been paid for but the client didn't want them so they were going to sell them at cost price.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 01:40 PM   #18
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Believe it or not its a legit operation, the police get plenty of calls about these guys who have been doing this for years and they're just selling stuff in a very unconventional way.

Old 11-09-2005, 02:04 PM   #19
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Strange that they are ALL selling the same stuff...
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 03:30 PM   #20
xxxc
tuff

its happened to me a dude rolls up at the lights on nepean hwy ,he was like half retarted or something and asked if i wanted to buy a sound system ,i was in a mazda 3 work car too WTF,i was like no thanks
xxxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 03:55 PM   #21
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

i bought a whole surround sound system off those losers...
pretty good one too..
then a few months later pulled up next to me and asked me if i wanted to "upgrade" my system..

pretty funny actually.

:togo:
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 05:33 PM   #22
chief
FTF Club Moderator

At work for lunch sit next to the road under some trees with work mates. About once a week people drive up to us and ask do you want speakers / surround sound / dvd player or rims. They drive a kia van with the back windows in dark tint with cloth over the windows. You can spot them before they would ask the question.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 05:46 PM   #23
Dodge
i like to be stroked

they got me outside harvey normans, telln me how they did a job for a guy and they got delivered 2 set of speakers and one had to be returned, but the boss didnt want them back so he told the installers to sell them cheap on their way home Bla bla bla , i told them if they speak one more word i would pull out my wire swager and smash threi heads in, they drove off and got some other poor guy trying to park. i called the police and reported their rego , thinking they had stolen goods , but the cops knew the car and rego and what they were doing and said they are known for selling rubbish this way and its legal and not much they can do about it. i would have still smash their heads in if they kept pestering me the way they did
Old 11-09-2005, 06:22 PM   #24
gtfpv
GT

mmmm this happened to me a bout 4 years ago i'd just built my house in a new estate they were pulling up and asking everyone who was out the front landscaping they were supposedely selling a 5000 dollar system for 2000.. i thought they were legit but didn't buy one .they had a van and a similar story . i wouldn't of dreamt it would be a common thing around australia.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 07:10 PM   #25
EL_futuraistic

Yeah this has happened to me about 3 times. The first time was at the local car wash, white toyota van pulled up asked if i wanted to buy some digital speakers... something like they were left over from a delivery. Told them No Thanks. I have also been stopped twice at the local shopping centre by 2 other white toyota vans offering to sell me digital speakers.

I have about 3 other mates who have encountered the same thing, one in sydney and when my mate told him he lived in melbourne they offered to come down and wire them up for him.

They could be legit, or not... to be cautions i just said not interested and drove off.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 07:48 PM   #26
XBCoupeGuy
XBCoupeGuy

Default Cheap speakers

About 7 years ago when I was living in Brisbane I saw these blokes quite a few times, usually in the carpark of the Logan Hyperdone shopping centre.

I wasn't sure how legit they were but a mate of mine bought a set of home speakers at what he swears was a good price. I had no idea about speakers.
He still paid $400 though.

Anyway, earlier this year they must have expanded their operation to Adelaide and there was a story on Current Affair about them.

Apparently it is all legit but the quality of the speakers is shocking and not worth a fraction of what they charge.

They used to use a story about the boss having ordered in too many and they had been sent out to sell them at cost to clear the warehouse.

Anyway, that's my experience with these guys.

Last edited by XBCoupeGuy; 11-09-2005 at 07:53 PM.
XBCoupeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 10:00 PM   #27
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

They make you think you are buing stolen but decent quality stuff, but they are selling crap. It not illegal. They aren't going to steal anyone's car either.

My only advice is if you do buy their speakers, don't run AC/DC throught them at full noise or you might find you speakers go "DONE DIRT CHEAP....." **BANG!**
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 10:00 PM   #28
buickman
buickman

This must be a common thing. I thought it was a dodgy deal that somehow I got singled out because I was sitting in the car reading while waiting for the wife.
buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2005, 10:14 PM   #29
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
Strange that they are ALL selling the same stuff...
Hahha how true!! I think that they are better off making a mobile kebab shop .At least theyll make some money.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2005, 08:53 AM   #30
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_futuraistic
Yeah this has happened to me about 3 times. The first time was at the local car wash, white toyota van pulled up asked if i wanted to buy some digital speakers... something like they were left over from a delivery. Told them No Thanks. I have also been stopped twice at the local shopping centre by 2 other white toyota vans offering to sell me digital speakers.

I have about 3 other mates who have encountered the same thing, one in sydney and when my mate told him he lived in melbourne they offered to come down and wire them up for him.

They could be legit, or not... to be cautions i just said not interested and drove off.
LOL too bad there is no such thing as digital speakers, a speaker voice coil can only respond to an analoge singnal
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post