Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 11-01-2005, 07:33 PM   #1
EL_futuraistic

Default Changing EL from single to LSD

Hey guyz, Couldnt find any area in the tech section, so im posting here.

I have an EL futura, would like to change from non LSD to LSD. Do i require 9" conversion, or a new housing. OR can i simply change crownwheels and drive shafts???

Also what sort of cost would i be looking at??
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:42 PM   #2
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Easiest method is to get a LSD from a Ghia/XR/LTD/V8(if optioned). SHould be arround $650ish disc to disc. Otherwise u can buy a new LSD hemisphere ($550ish) and have it fitted.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:13 PM   #3
TUFED6
Banned

I can recommend Supatrik in Dandenong if you want to get a diff built. He can take a while to turn the job around, but he's reasonably priced.

Has anyone found any tricks to getting good life out of the BTR LSD's? I know all of the ones I've had in the past i've managed to open them up with a few months of opposite lock action.

Apart from using good LSD oil, there doesn't seem to be much that you can do to make them live... Only options really are a Kaaz mechanical LSD (or similar) or a spool. Or the 9in conversion I guess.

- John
TUFED6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:32 PM   #4
Walkinshaw
Two > One

All LSD's will wear out with prolonged punishment. If your into some hardcore driving look into a Mechanical LSD or Detroit style locker

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 08:50 PM   #5
EL_futuraistic

Default cheers guys

thanks, i will give them a call.
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 09:25 PM   #6
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFED6
I can recommend Supatrik in Dandenong if you want to get a diff built. He can take a while to turn the job around, but he's reasonably priced.

Has anyone found any tricks to getting good life out of the BTR LSD's? I know all of the ones I've had in the past i've managed to open them up with a few months of opposite lock action.

Apart from using good LSD oil, there doesn't seem to be much that you can do to make them live... Only options really are a Kaaz mechanical LSD (or similar) or a spool. Or the 9in conversion I guess.

- John
theres a couple of things you can do, my brother stretched the springs on his 4-pinion LSD -302 XA coupe ~240rwHP, its been in many burnout competions and its still goin strong.

another way is by shimming the centre up which basically does the same thing - tightens it up a bit, im gettin one built this way (with 2 extra shims) towards the end of the month. ill let yall know how it goes.
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:12 PM   #7
Psycho Chicken
Banned

All extra shims will so is increase the torque needed to slip and burn the cones out faster.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote