Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
peterban
AULTD

Default V8 power steering line leak

I have had a funny smell coming into the cabin the last couple of days. It smells like turps. I pull up in the garage and the whole front of the car smells like someone has doused it in turps.
Over the past few days I have checked everything I could but couldn't find anything that would cause this type of smell.
Today the smell was worse so again I check and I could see an oily patch on the cross member underneath the radiator right in the middle in line with the crankshaft pulley.
It must be power steering fluid as the level in the reservoir is down and the aluminum part of the hose runs right where the leak is, through a retainer clip.
It is hard to see as the bottom radiator hose runs over the top of it.
Has anyone had a problem with the line leaking at that point?
Do you have to replace the whole hose or can it be fixed with a joiner?

peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #2
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

I have a leak on the top steel hose myself... i have been told its just the O'ring that needs replacing... so will do it at work hopefully within the week.
Old 23-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Power steering hose more than likely.
A common occurence in the AU series. A complete new hose is the easiest but i have heard of a replacement coupling being fitted.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkbits
Power steering hose more than likely.
A common occurence in the AU series. A complete new hose is the easiest but i have heard of a replacement coupling being fitted.
You can replace just the coupling but it is a massive frig around. I'd sooner spend the $170 odd and get the whole new line.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2009, 05:32 PM   #5
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

your a bit more patient than us have a go at cutting the nut off but a new line is easyer Thers a thread here some ware on how to do it but I carnt seem to find it

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Yeah has been said and i had the same trouble, new hose is the quickest and easiest fix.
Old 23-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i just used a dremel with a small cutting wheel to cut mine off and whacked the new fitting on. Ford said it couldn't be done but i did it for $11 i think. Going good so far and probably took half hour to do so i think the money saved is worth the time.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
NC1183
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I replaced the fitting on mine, but I manged to nick the end of the aluminum pipe so replaced it before it could give me trouble, but like others have said it is easy to change it, i was just in a hurry and got a bit careless.

2005 FPV BF Super Pursuit

The new toy (now sold)
The SP

The old ute (sold)
www.aufalcon.com/nc1183

Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6T
If you look closely you can see the remains of a Hyundai excel that’s been sucked into the intake.
about the pic of 'CHOP YA' F6
NC1183 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2009, 07:05 PM   #9
peterban
AULTD

Thanks for the replies.
I have read the guide on removing the nut rather than buying a new hose but it is not leaking at the pump.
I think this was a major problem on the 6's. Mine is a V8.

The leak is about 150mm past where the hose changes from rubber to aluminum.
There is no sign of where it is coming from so I will have to keep an eye on it.
I have taken the plastic protector off from under the car which lets me have a look at both sides of the hose.
I will leave this off and check it again tomorrow.
Old 23-08-2009, 08:10 PM   #10
FC:LTD

Give it a good clean with degreaser , then start the car and turn the wheel a couple of times and it should be fairly obvious where its coming from.It is probably just a pin hole but it will get bigger over time so replacing the line is the best bet
FC:LTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #11
peterban
AULTD

If I replace the line are their any particular brands or should I get mine repaired?
Anyone got a how to on replacing the V8 powersteering line?
Any particular things you have to watch out for.
It looks to be quite a torturous path that the line takes to get from the reservoir to the rack!!
Old 23-08-2009, 08:56 PM   #12
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I got a spare complete line, second hand but definatly no leaks, you can have that for $80 if you like.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2009, 09:49 PM   #13
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterban
Thanks for the replies.
I have read the guide on removing the nut rather than buying a new hose but it is not leaking at the pump.
I think this was a major problem on the 6's. Mine is a V8.

The leak is about 150mm past where the hose changes from rubber to aluminum.
There is no sign of where it is coming from so I will have to keep an eye on it.
I have taken the plastic protector off from under the car which lets me have a look at both sides of the hose.
I will leave this off and check it again tomorrow.
Mines a 8 to Peter, even replacing the whole thing is a pain in the butt, genuine or secondhand is the go as I priced a repair job trade through work and was even dearer
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post