Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 19-01-2005, 09:13 PM   #1
InitialD
Low and Loud

Default Help! Im about ready to blow the thing up!

Well after last week where my alternator died, I couldnt belive anything else could go wrong :

While driving back home tonight, after about 2mins the car starts stuttering like it had Turetts syndrome. every 1/2 sec it would die then pick up then die, then pickup , etc ,etc ,etc

The harder I revved the car, the more it did it. And ofcourse i got every red light and when it idled at the lights it died then picked up straight away.

Its like the TFI is stuffed or like it didnt have enough fuel?
Earlier today I went to start it, it wouldnt start, But it had spark, and the injectors were ticking. I had to fully open the throttle before it would start, and it had alot of black smoke coming out of the exhaust for 1min (running ritch i guess)

Anyone got ideas?

So far Dave (thanatos) and I have come up with....
ECU
TFI (Ive used the TFI from the old EA and it was new)
DIZZY
FUEL PUMP
COIL

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2005, 09:19 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

last time my Xf did that it stalled and blew the muffler appart *BANG*

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2005, 09:21 PM   #3
AUII_Forte
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This sounds very similar to what my EA is doing!!! I haven't been able to drive the car because it's unreg'd, but it's really hard to start, the timing is up to shit no matter what I do and sucks through fuel like you wouldn't believe! I just can't figure it out, about the only thing I haven't changed is the fuel pump and I can't see that being the cause of the problem. I think it must be to do with the wiring or something, but I really have no idea, hence the reason the car is still in the same state. I gave up on it until i really HAVE to sort it out.

Pacemaker 4490 Extractors
2.5" Exhaust
High Flow Cat
SS Inductions "Growler" CAI
Underdrive Pulley
Mal Wood H/D Clutch
Custom Tune
18" XHP Sabre's
12" Kicker Sub
169.2 rwkw
AUII_Forte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2005, 09:25 PM   #4
InitialD
Low and Loud

Ohh and the Timing is perfect on it aswell (checked it recently with a timing light)

1993 Ford Falcon XR6 Poly Green Stationwagon - 4.0 I6, Auto, 3:45LSD, All the usual XR6 Stuff but in a wagon :
Old 19-01-2005, 10:06 PM   #5
oneredED
need more boost

When you say you have spark... how much spark have you got? When my coil went, it had spark when i tested it, according to the mechanic it was just not enough to get the motor to fire into life. My dosh is on the coil ;)
Stops due to: bendix, DBA
Shifter connected to: T5 manual
Power from: ???
Interior: velour and woodgrain
Cost: stuff all :P
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2005, 12:10 AM   #6
XRated
Shoot.

If you've done so much to it already, why not do the dizzy, coil and fuel pump... If it's none of them, we will have a mod day where we blow it to the high heavens! :dr_Evil:

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2005, 05:25 AM   #7
Mike Gayner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yup my money is on the coil. Doesn't take alot of current at all to fire a plug into the block, but remember inside the engine the spark has to jump across about 12mm gap through compressed air and fuel. Surely a coil would cost sweet fudge all from a wrecker.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2005, 10:39 AM   #8
NZ
~~~

I hope you dont have fat hands if you change it.

"the man that crashs AFF"
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2005, 10:56 AM   #9
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you checked the cat? might be collapsing??

How good are the injectors? Have they been cleaned recently??
Old 20-01-2005, 02:03 PM   #10
InitialD
Low and Loud

Quote:
Originally Posted by '67
Have you checked the cat? might be collapsing??

How good are the injectors? Have they been cleaned recently??
How exactly would you check the cat?

The injectors were given to me from another motor. Unknown how good they are. I originally had another set in there and they were shot, but these seemed to be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB MKII
I hope you dont have fat hands if you change it.
HAHAHAHHA thanks karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneredED
When you say you have spark... how much spark have you got? When my coil went, it had spark when i tested it, according to the mechanic it was just not enough to get the motor to fire into life. My dosh is on the coil
Now i think about it, When the car wouldnt start earlier yesterday I thought id check for spark, and amazingly the motor fired up to life when i took the plug out to check for spark, There was a very weak spark aswell. Would this cause it to do what it was doing while driving??

Old 20-01-2005, 02:07 PM   #11
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

What about the earth strap to the block?

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2005, 02:08 PM   #12
BJ
Banned

Have you tryed the M.A.P sensor The vacum line could be split and will cause the same thing.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2005, 02:13 PM   #13
InitialD
Low and Loud

the earth connections are fine.

The strange thing its allways done even on CFI was it hunts at idle? say 600 then goes 500, 600, 500 ,600 no matter what RPM your at. Since the conversion to MPFI and MPFI idles at a lower RPM then CFI, its seems to have gotten worse. Ive changed ECU's and it doesnt make a difference. Well actually it did for about 10mins then it started it again. Can a coil cause this? Since converting to MPFI ive changed dizzy, plugs, leads, cap, rotor button, fuel pump, etc the only thing left on the car that hasnt been replaced is the coil.....

Old 20-01-2005, 02:22 PM   #14
spope
Banned

Black smoke coming out of the exhaust is unburnt fuel. If you are overfuelling, maybe it's your map, ozy sensor or fuel pressure reg, or possibly even fuel pump.
However, if you aren't overfuelling, then your engine is not burning all the fuel, which suggests possibly bad timing, or more likely, weak spark. If your plugs are old, change 'em, otherwise probably coil if it is doing it fairly consistently. A new coil should be less than $40, and if you can't get to it, just pull the manifold off. It's not that tricky.
spope is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2005, 07:07 PM   #15
oneredED
need more boost

Quote:
What about the earth strap to the block?
Oooohhh, many a pointless hour has been spent trying to get paddock bashers to fire, going over everything 100 times, only to realise a faulty earth is to blame...
Stops due to: bendix, DBA
Shifter connected to: T5 manual
Power from: ???
Interior: velour and woodgrain
Cost: stuff all :P
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2005, 09:40 PM   #16
Sundeep
Banned

Dude when you say that it starts when you hold the throttle open, are you pumping it or holding it down? If you are holding it at WOT the ECU cuts off fuel, you'll hear the injectors stop pulsing and the fuel pump will stop as well. If it starts like this, I'd be checking fuel related stuff because it's obviously overfuelling.

Start with the pressure regulator, MAP sensor (unplugged, busted) and have a go at cleaning out the bores and cleaning/replacing the plugs. After that crank it a few times with the throttle wide open (fuel cut off) and try start it.

I coulda sworn I posted this yesterday ;)

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2005, 10:15 PM   #17
InitialD
Low and Loud

Well after further investigation this afternoon...

I went to drive the car up the driveway and it spluttered the whole way up. My sister (previous owner of it) said that it use to do that occasionally when her boyfriend had it. Then i started thinking... what havent i changed over yet? COIL!!!

after a painfull removal I discovered that it had a BIG nasty crack in it going allmost 180deg around the outside of it. So im guessing that was one of my problems since its got VERY weak spark atm. I thought maybe it was the fuel pump but when it stalls you can hear it prime again. The other thing i noticed in the ford repair manual is that it shows CFI and MPFI having different relays for the fuel pump??! : Was I suppose to change this??

Old 21-01-2005, 05:31 AM   #18
NZ
~~~

you mean the ECU relay

Old 22-01-2005, 09:33 AM   #19
spope
Banned

Yeah, fuel pump relay is the same. Green. ECU for cfi is white, mpfi black.
No, you don't have to change this. The only difference is with the cfi relay it stays on for 30 seconds after you turn the ignition off, to allow the throttle to reset.
Strangely enough, my car won't start if I put the mpfi relay in. But i haven't had any problems using the cfi one.
spope is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2005, 10:14 AM   #20
NZ
~~~

You didnt swap the 2 wires behind the relay block spope.