Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-07-2007, 11:18 AM   #1
kiraly_75

Unhappy Blown Head Gasket Help!!

Okay my car has finally died in the .. at first i thought it was a leak becasue it wasn't really pointin to the signs of a blown head and about 20 mintues ago when i parked at my house i though i'd take a quick look to check up on it..

I was horrified the dip stick was watery and milky, coolant was blowning bubbles and the car started to sound like .

now would it be cheaper to just get a new gasket or a whole engine(if so how much), the car has done 247,000 km so im leaning to the engine please help....

kiraly_75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 12:00 PM   #2
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Might be Cheaper these days to find a Low K's AU Engine , some can be found for about 500 bucks ..

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Price depends on how much you can do yourself, but you have to remember that these engines are very common for blowing headgaskets, so you may buy and fit a 2nd hand motor and then have a blown headgasket in a few months time and you'll be back to square 1.

If your motor appeared to be ok before blowing the gasket, you are better off replacing the gasket and maching the head and at least that way you should be ok for a while

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 12:30 PM   #4
kiraly_75

thanks for your help guys i found this on ebay just before...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Good-low-K-AU...QQcmdZViewItem

i rang around before aswell and to replace a head gasket would be any where between 700 - 1200 dollars
kiraly_75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 01:09 PM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
Price depends on how much you can do yourself, but you have to remember that these engines are very common for blowing headgaskets, so you may buy and fit a 2nd hand motor and then have a blown headgasket in a few months time and you'll be back to square 1.

If your motor appeared to be ok before blowing the gasket, you are better off replacing the gasket and maching the head and at least that way you should be ok for a while
AU common for blowing head gaskets? Unless it's an early AUI I haven't heard of any. Best off to get an engine from an AUII/III.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #6
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
AU common for blowing head gaskets? Unless it's an early AUI I haven't heard of any. Best off to get an engine from an AUII/III.
Agreed, this is the first AU head gasket I've ever heard of that has blown.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 01:25 PM   #7
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

the AU has a steel head gasket and i've seen dozens of cabs cover hundreds of thousands of kilometres without need for a new head gasket
Old 16-07-2007, 01:31 PM   #8
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiraly_75

i rang around before aswell and to replace a head gasket would be any where between 700 - 1200 dollars
they sell a lot of engines and have had good reports they will also fit it for a reasonable cost too if you want. as for if the AUs blow head gasgets it's true they are reliable in this department provided you look after them but some people still think coolant is a plat to rip you off so if the last owner of your car was one of these the damage could have already have been done. good quality coolant is your friend
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 01:31 PM   #9
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you'd find its much cheaper and easier to just replace the head gasket, with the right tools wont take more then a couple of hours. If you can't do it yourself I still think you'd get charged less for replacing a gasket then the whole motor. I'd be guessing labour wouldn't be much different either way but a gasket is alot cheaper then a decent motor.
StealthAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 01:36 PM   #10
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockoau
I think you'd find its much cheaper and easier to just replace the head gasket, with the right tools wont take more then a couple of hours. If you can't do it yourself I still think you'd get charged less for replacing a gasket then the whole motor. I'd be guessing labour wouldn't be much different either way but a gasket is alot cheaper then a decent motor.
but remember you have to have the head machined too so really the cost would probably be clost to having a low K engine fitted and cheaper to fit an engine your self. not machining the head will see the job being done again in 12 months
Old 16-07-2007, 01:45 PM   #11
robbo_yobbo
Kick out tha Jams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiraly_75

Thats daylight robbery!

The gasket itsellf is worth no more then a bag of potato chips (okay a little bit more) and installing it is more or less a matter of undoing a few bolts and then tightening them back up once its on.

Invest in a gregories manual and a set of sockets and do it yourself. just because its a big problem to have, doesnt make it an overly difficult (or expensive) one to fix. and for that sort of money, you can afford to take the whole week off work to do it (even though you'll probably just get it done on a saturday morning/arvo anyway - that leaves you the rest of the week to run a muck).
Those manuals pretty much describe everything well enough for a 3 year old to strip the whole motor down and rebuild it themselves

If there charging 700-1200 just to replace the gasket, imagine what they'll stab you for for the whole engine, so as stated above, unless the engines pretty dead other than the head gasket, just do the gasket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
but remember you have to have the head machined too so really the cost would probably be clost to having a low K engine fitted and cheaper to fit an engine your self. not machining the head will see the job being done again in 12 months
Only if the head has warped, if its just the gasket, then its just the gasket.
Old 16-07-2007, 02:04 PM   #12
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo_yobbo
Only if the head has warped, if its just the gasket, then its just the gasket.
No alloy heads must be machined as the warp slightly when you remove them ( the old cast iron didn't have this issue but were so heavy) if you don't get it machined you'll be doing it all again in 12 months or less. i've seen so many people think yea just bun on a new gasket and they don't listen when you say skim it none have gone more than a year. also if coolant hasn't been used for an extended period at any time you'll need repairs to the water jackets. it's actually an easier job to swap engines than do a head gasket
Old 16-07-2007, 02:35 PM   #13
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

A Reco 100k is AU motor is Cheap at 330bucks , I just bought the one off Ebay ..

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 07:06 PM   #14
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a change over head is another option if the valve gear is gettin tired, does any one how much a change over is?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 09:06 PM   #15
waggaclint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well mate im a mechanic and if i was you i would go that motor of ebay....buy the time you get your head machined etc (if it is repairable maybe have a crack etc it) it will cost you more than the engine...and if you do get ya head fixed youl end up with i 240.000km eng with a new head...youd be better of going with the engine...id find out if they give warranty with engine but hey....just my 2cents anyway...hopefully it all works out for ya....
waggaclint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2007, 09:09 PM   #16
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the mob on ebay at logan city give 3 months warranty