Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default SA: Drive with obscured number plate - $2500 fine

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1226354304296

Quote:
THE Government has doubled the fine for driving with an obscured number plate to $2500, sparking accusations it is a blatant cash grab.

The on-the-spot infringement fine for the offence remains at $400, plus $60 for the victims of crime levy, but if motorists choose to challenge the charge in court, they face a maximum fine of $2500 for serious offences.
Regulation 36 of the Road Traffic Act, which refers to partially covered or obscured number plates, was amended last month without fanfare and takes effect on May 31.
An experienced officer, who wished to remain anonymous, said most police believed the increase would anger motorists, who were likely to take their frustration out on police.
"This is not policing, it's revenue-raising," the officer said. "Most (police) don't want to issue these fines because it has nothing to do with road safety. It will impact on us because we will be seen as revenue-raisers."
A number plate obscured by a bicycle rack also attracts a top penalty of $2500.
However, driving an unroadworthy "written-off" vehicle has a maximum penalty of $1250 and driving with less than 0.08 grams of alcohol in the blood (first offence) or with drugs in the system incurs a maximum fine of $515.
Failing to heed a stop sign at a level crossing or failing to stop for a red traffic light attract expiation fees of $391, plus the victims of crime levy.
A spokeswoman for Transport Minister Pat Conlon said the expiation system offered an option to pay a fine and avoid overworked courts.
"Over time, as expiations increased and the maximum court-imposed penalty did not, it was more ... viable to elect to be prosecuted and attempt to seek a lower penalty in court," she said.
"This led to more people in courts and results in higher costs for (courts) as well as increased delays for what are relatively minor matters."
Family First MP and former Liberal government police minister Robert Brokenshire said he intended moving in Parliament next week to disallow the amendment.
"They're deliberately hiding this and hoping they can get away with it - simply by taking people to court," he said. "They should ... buy some space in the (paper) and say `this is the new regulations and this is what's going to hit you'."
He said it was "clear revenue-raising and has nothing to do with road safety".

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: SA: Drive with obscured number plate - $2500 fine

I can see the point, people obscure plates to do servo drive offs and to avoid camera fines so they are making obscured plates an unattractive option

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes but other infringments dont add up... surely driving an unregistered car is a bigger offence?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #4
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's crazy when you see people breaking the law which can result in loss of life like drink driving, driving while under the influence of hard drugs getting small fines, yet something so trivial like an obscured plate attracting big penalties. It is nothing but a grab for cash.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
I can see the point, people obscure plates to do servo drive offs and to avoid camera fines so they are making obscured plates an unattractive option
Ever driven on a dirt road in the wet?
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I got done for this back in the day in QLD, was only $220. I was horrified at the fine then, glad I didn't live in SA!

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Many with a tow ball will get done for an obscured plate..... not an excuse but I see many cars that are covered.

And only a hand full who remove the ball and mount it underneath...

Having said that... I don't see it as 'up there' in the scheme of things...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
I got done for this back in the day in QLD, was only $220. I was horrified at the fine then, glad I didn't live in SA!
I still remember my dad getting pulled over in his XA on the way to a scout camp... 20 years ago now.

The cop said he was going to issue a fine for obscured numberplate (by way of a tow ball)... my dad cracked it at the copper saying his car had bald tyres, worn brakes, blown globes and frayed seatbelts.. but the towball is the problem...

Didn't end well.......

Old 14-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

Come across to Victoria guys, down here driving without a P plate on your window if you are required to have one is more dangerous than driving at night without your headlights on. No joke.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #10
TrishBAGurl

Exclamation Re: SA: Drive with obscured number plate - $2500 fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
yes but other infringments dont add up... surely driving an unregistered car is a bigger offence?
totally agree!! especially if they crash and kill someone, gees at least if it was just an obscured number plate n they crash u can still get the rego were as a fake plate n someone does a runner you have little hope of tracking them down... except when the local newpaper show a pic of a burnt out vechile with damage...
TrishBAGurl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

Thank god we live in the lucky country and these increases are for our safety *sarcasm*
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #12
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The government is a big safety enthusiast.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #13
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dont you ever mess with an income stream...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #14
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose
Careful. If you keep saying things like that, they will wake up to themselves and double that too! Nothing ever comes down. EVER.
Old 14-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #15
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
It's crazy when you see people breaking the law which can result in loss of life like drink driving, driving while under the influence of hard drugs getting small fines, yet something so trivial like an obscured plate attracting big penalties. It is nothing but a grab for cash.

Perhaps go back a hundred years or so and research why number plates were introduced in the first place, too many hit and run pedestrian 'accidents'

the complusory introduction of licence plates brought that behaviour under control very quickly and is just as valid a reason as to why vehicles should display them today.
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #16
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

Easy solution: make sure your number plates aren't obscured. The amount of the fine is a non-issue. It may as well be a million dollars. People that are dumb enough to drive with their plates obscured deserve a hefty fine.
1986 XF Fairmont Ghia 4.1L EFI Regency Red, trip computer, venetians - 163Ks
1979 P6 LTD 351, Goldust - 185Ks
1989 Mazda MX5, Red 1.6L, 5sp manual - 102Ks
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #17
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Which parts of the number plate must not be obscured? Does the state/slogan part matter?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2012, 02:36 AM   #18
scottyg938
Stock Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
Which parts of the number plate must not be obscured? Does the state/slogan part matter?
I think the state on the left side must be shown, the slogan on the bottom isn't needed, in fact in Canberra youvcan actually get the plates make without the slogan on them

Blueprint | Manual | Leather | Premium sound | Sunroof | Shockworks coilovers | TrueTrac + 3.73 Diff Gears
scottyg938 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2012, 02:38 AM   #19
scottyg938
Stock Boss

Can't edit my post on my phone so...

You can also get a custom slogan here if you want, not many people opt for that though, mainly small business owners Chuck their business name on there

Blueprint | Manual | Leather | Premium sound | Sunroof | Shockworks coilovers | TrueTrac + 3.73 Diff Gears
scottyg938 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2012, 03:27 AM   #20
BAXR8_Ute

I think this increase is mainly to deter people from taking the matter to court since the ticket amount is remaining at $400. Also, if someone commits traffic offences or frauds like a drive off from a servo, or using a motorway which uses automatic tolling without a t pass, when the cops catch up with them they will be charged for the stealing / fraud plus the obscured number plate. Therefore the court can increase the punishment to match the more serious offence.
Old 15-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #21
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember a bit of a stink going on about the current Nissan Patrol...the standard factory fitted spare wheel on the back "obscures" the licence plate when viewed from one side at an angle...which means that it comes under the rules about a licence plate being visible from a certain angle from each side so that cameras can get a clear photo. Some Patrol owners had been fined and others warned, when their vehicles were factory standard.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #22
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
I remember a bit of a stink going on about the current Nissan Patrol...the standard factory fitted spare wheel on the back "obscures" the licence plate when viewed from one side at an angle...which means that it comes under the rules about a licence plate being visible from a certain angle from each side so that cameras can get a clear photo. Some Patrol owners had been fined and others warned, when their vehicles were factory standard.
Which begs the question? Is there an ADR regarding visibility of rear number plates? ie, must be visible from X metres at a viewing angle of Y degrees???

I often see number plates tucked 8-12 inches back under the tray of a ute / truck and think that the only way to get a full visual is to crouch down to eye level directly behind the plate.

I'm also a little sus of those thick rimmed plastic number plate covers / borders. Undo one top corner screw and it drops down nicely, covering 3-4 characters. Honest mistake, or has that been done, 'accidentally, on purpose' I wonder...

Most of this stuff is police discretion… and should be a recorded warning first up IMO. Warnings don’t generate income unfortunately.. Quite the opposite!

Old 15-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #23
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think this encourages people to steal a car and drive that around. At least when you go to court you can plead that your mum did not love you enough. A slap on the wrist and away you go again....
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2012, 11:18 AM   #24
BAXR8_Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Which begs the question? Is there an ADR regarding visibility of rear number plates? ie, must be visible from X metres at a viewing angle of Y degrees???

I often see number plates tucked 8-12 inches back under the tray of a ute / truck and think that the only way to get a full visual is to crouch down to eye level directly behind the plate.

I'm also a little sus of those thick rimmed plastic number plate covers / borders. Undo one top corner screw and it drops down nicely, covering 3-4 characters. Honest mistake, or has that been done, 'accidentally, on purpose' I wonder...

Most of this stuff is police discretion… and should be a recorded warning first up IMO. Warnings don’t generate income unfortunately.. Quite the opposite!
Yes. ADRs state the number plate must be visible from an arc of 45 degrees from centre in both directions and the same 45 degrees in an upward direction.
Old 16-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #25
opto
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The point of this is , Does the punishment fit the crime ?. A fine was primarily an alternative to jail time, now, it is even more difficult to fight the fine as they want you NOT to fight it in court because it is "overworked". Honestly, you should have the courts accessible as a system, to fight / argue a charge. It is just another one of SA Governments way to revenue raise and not have a charge disputed.
Supposedly the new obscured number plate fine is $2500.00, driving an unregistered vehicle in SA is $1350.00. Now, how can that be fair and just ?

Just practicing with the Tazer on a Koala?
opto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #26
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by opto
Supposedly the new obscured number plate fine is $2500.00, driving an unregistered vehicle in SA is $1350.00. Now, how can that be fair and just ?
If the unreg vehicle is one where simply the rego hasnt been paid and is still displaying VISIBLE plates then that would not be as big a deal(in my opinion) as driving without or with obscured plates
Old 16-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #27
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Don't you guys know, obscured number plates can kill people, that's why the fine fits the crime???

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2012, 09:55 PM   #28
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
If the unreg vehicle is one where simply the rego hasnt been paid and is still displaying VISIBLE plates then that would not be as big a deal(in my opinion) as driving without or with obscured plates
Really.....

Say that unregistered car has an accident... what would be a bigger deal, an unregistered (and uninsured car) with fully visible invalid plates, or a car that is otherwise roadworthy but has a splash of mud on the plate?

Old 16-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #29
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Really.....

Say that unregistered car has an accident... what would be a bigger deal, an unregistered (and uninsured car) with fully visible invalid plates, or a car that is otherwise roadworthy but has a splash of mud on the plate?
I thought there'd be at least one

I assume you are talking about compulsory compensation insurance for people injured in the accidents, rather than registration. The two are very different.

So if the victim doesnt get any compensation from our system simply because the driver that crashed into them didnt pay their rego on time, is that what happens, is that fair? of course not. it should be up to the authorities to recover monies for damages from these cretons, not the victims.

however the bottom line is having a car with reg elapsed doesnt ncecssarily mean its going to be driven more dangerously and be any more likely to crash.

I agree though that the indications are that most unregistered cars are typically unroadworthy and driven by undesirables/unlicenced so unregistered cars are probably over represented in collisions.

Obscured number plates on the other hand, while there may be no intent on the behalf of many, if the purpose is to disregard road rules and avoid detection be it by eye witnesses or cameras(yeh the hoons round here even pull their licence plate lamps at night), then that has the potential to be injure people, whoever picks up the injury bill is a secondary matter.

We could argue for quite a while what should have the biggest fine:

here's my list in order:

Drunk,driving like an idiot/hooning etc, no plates/obscured plates, unlicenced, unroadworthy, speeding(could go higher depending on magnitude), unregistered.

But at the end of the day, I cant understand people complaining about the size of fines, do you actually intend to break them? or decide whether you can afford to break them? Make them all $2500, couldnt care less about those whinging how that will send them broke.

Obscuring plates, it has to be a deliberate act(not an act of god,like running out of petrol apparently), whether you put those diffracting covers on them or simply hang a bike rack behind it so it cant be read, you are choosing to obscure it.

Last edited by sudszy; 16-05-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 16-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #30
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

You involved in politics by any chance Sudszy?

I have never seen so much waffle to answer a yes / no question....