Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 01-05-2005, 06:15 PM   #1
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Question Paint quality and paint degredation of EF-ELs

Hi everyone, I'm looking at upgrading to an EF-L Ghia, and came across a nice 95 model recently in Gunmetal grey. One of the big points for me (after checking that the mechanicals are in good nick) is the condition of the paint on the outside.

How good were Ford's paintjobs on these cars? The general finish and thickness of paintwork looks like its improved with certain e-series updates.
ie. Upgrade from EA2-EB1 to EB2/ED, and the upgrade from ED to EF/L.

The '95 Ghia I looked at had 10 years worth of stone chips mainly on the front of the bonnet & on the bottom of the front guards/sill area. The further back you go along the car, the better it gets (the rear end is mint)There is also the dreaded 'removal of 9 year old factory mudflaps effect' on the front guards. No part of the car looks like it's been resprayed, but I'm worried about a slight 'peeling' (of the clearcoat perhaps) on some of the doors around the doorhandles. A friend of mine has a red GLi with faded duco and doesn't have this problem. Is this just a metallic/prestige paint common aging thing or a possible problem?

I am pretty picky when it comes to duco, so I'd be interested to hear people's opinion/experiences on this matter.

Thanks.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2005, 06:30 PM   #2
Sylox
Uterus M.I.A.

Reds and whites are solid colours and dont use clear coat if they are faded/oxidized they need attention to the paint. A buff works wonders.

metalics all use a clear coat and whilst they dont dis-colour like the solids they do tend to show scratches. A buff will cut most of them out usually.

Stone chips are just one of those things everyone has to deal with, more so the people with darker colured cars.

Sylox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2005, 08:01 PM   #3
old_mate
Smash the Boost

Regency red Fairmont is what I have

and the paint is stuffed

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2005, 08:32 PM   #4
Olympus
Rocket Fuel Anyone?

Try and find a EF/EL with prestige paint, AFAIK it has been applied with more layers.
Olympus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2005, 08:43 PM   #5
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Heritage Green on mine and it's flaking at the front of the rear doors.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2005, 09:47 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

The only problems ive ever heard of with EF/L paint was with the Cobalt Blue colour, which apparently kept on coming out too thin or something. Whatever its problem was, it resulted in it being dropped after EF Series I. Was on ED-EF (not sure about EB's) up until then though.

The mudflap effect is a real PITA but a good panelbeater or detailer can minimise it to the point where you would barely be able to tell it was ever there.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:57 AM   #7
old_mate
Smash the Boost

i should clarify, my unit of a gas guzzlin mule suffers from hardcore stone chips on front bumpber and doors as well as chips on bumner and bonnet (hopefully a insurance fix due to hail damage) as well as nrmal deterioration on 3/4 glass and windshield wopers...paint is extremely thin on threse areas

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2005, 04:04 AM   #8
FPVWEPN
Team Urinal Cake Racing

got an ef in cardinal red 95 model and it gets washed every week and waxed every second. really good quality feels thickish and solid and is breeze to clean no fades peels etc...
FPVWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2005, 08:10 AM   #9
EFFalcon
Last warning

late EB's got Cobalt and it had a habit of fading on plastics.
my original paint was very good, strong paint, no fading, no peeling.
after getting stuff resprayed its crap :/
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2005, 08:26 AM   #10
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I've got a Gunmetal EL and the paint seems really good, except for the front bar where it's obviously been resprayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.

Last edited by Kenaz; 02-05-2005 at 08:27 AM. Reason: grammar
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2005, 10:21 PM   #11
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Thanks for the replies guys.

On the second 'less pessimistic' viewing the overall exterior of the car is in quite a nice state. Found only one maor sctratch that'll buff right out, only one minor dent in a back door. The bonnet has it's fair share of chips that have been touched up. The front bumper is the most aged part of the car, but has held up quite well and with a polish/wax will look mint. Its definitely better than an equivalent EB2-D.
Generally speaking the paint is nice and lush/thick-the roof in particular looks almost new.
How much better have the paintjobs gotten post EL? I've seen dog eared AU1s but not really AU2 onwards.
Old 02-05-2005, 10:25 PM   #12
EFFalcon
Last warning

I've simply found that factory paint jobs are very good.
Any jobs after that just don't seem to last as long, Never really noticed any AU's with much better or worse paint.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2005, 04:45 PM   #13
Interceptor'85
Interceptin'

Go Gunmetal!!! We need another in the club, that's for sure. Bit of a rarity ;)

Im very happy with my paint job, I havent noticed any fading or discolouration. Just need to get rid of some stupid pebble dints and a few lil scratches :(
'XA Muscle'

Interceptor'85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2005, 04:58 PM   #14
neb
hibernating

my eb2 paint job is pretty good... its got a few scratches on the sides and the front bar is pretty bad with paint peeling (but this was an insurance job replacement bar) only a few years old but its stuffed. the rest is pretty decent
neb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2005, 04:59 PM   #15
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

If all goes well I should be the proud owner of a gunmetal grey EF by next week! Thanx for all your replies guys.