Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 27-08-2006, 06:55 PM   #1
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Sunroof

Has anyone here fitted or considered fitting an aftermarket sunroof to their EF/EL? I'm considering having one fitted when the car receives a full respray in a year or two and was wondering what other peoples opinions/experiences have been.

A Holandia sunroof was available on the EFs as a genuine Tickford option back in 95/96, however mine wasn't one of the lucky ones to have this fitted at the factory. The 'factory' roof was a 3 way Holandia glass roof, therefore to keep everything as simple as possible i'd be looking to fit the exact same model.

I've always wanted a sunroof but havn't - and still can't - stomach the thought of someone cutting into my car with tin snips :

chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 06:58 PM   #2
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chich
Has anyone here fitted or considered fitting an aftermarket sunroof to their EF/EL? I'm considering having one fitted when the car receives a full respray in a year or two and was wondering what other peoples opinions/experiences have been.

A Holandia sunroof was available on the EFs as a genuine Tickford option back in 95/96, however mine wasn't one of the lucky ones to have this fitted at the factory. The 'factory' roof was a 3 way Holandia glass roof, therefore to keep everything as simple as possible i'd be looking to fit the exact same model.

I've always wanted a sunroof but havn't - and still can't - stomach the thought of someone cutting into my car with tin snips :
well they're laser cut, so i wouldn't worry about that. I was quoted a 'once-off' price of $1890 by the sunroof centre a few days ago for the holanida 700 (which is the ford factory option), or $1400 for the one that slides back over the roof instead of into it. (ute/coupe style). There are a few different places who do it, prestige sunroofs do the sunroofs that Ford request. As in, if you took your car back to the dealer and ask for a sunroof after the fact, they'll most likely send it there (in melb anyway). It's a lot of money for a hole in the roof though, that's what keeps putting me off.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 07:09 PM   #3
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:

Why do you want to respray the car? The paint on your car is in very good nick.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 08:01 PM   #4
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
well they're laser cut, so i wouldn't worry about that. I was quoted a 'once-off' price of $1890 by the sunroof centre a few days ago for the holanida 700 (which is the ford factory option), or $1400 for the one that slides back over the roof instead of into it. (ute/coupe style). There are a few different places who do it, prestige sunroofs do the sunroofs that Ford request. As in, if you took your car back to the dealer and ask for a sunroof after the fact, they'll most likely send it there (in melb anyway). It's a lot of money for a hole in the roof though, that's what keeps putting me off.
Thats actually a good price when you think about it - it used to be a $1,500ish option if memory serves me correctly.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Ford dealer sent the car to Prestige. A friend of mine optioned a roof on his Alfa 156 and i'm 99% sure Prestige installed it. I believe Prestige still install all the sunroofs for Alfa and other high end manufacturers here in Aus. Looks like I might have to go down and have a chat with them..

I know where you're coming from but its more than a hole in the roof. Unfortunately its one of those things that once you have one you'll always want one. All of our previous cars had a sunroof and (convertibles excluded) theres nothing better than having the sun shine in on a nice day. Also helps in winter when the heater is always on full bore.. don't have to constantly open/close the window because its too hot/cold. Spewing we didn't option it on mums camry either - we were pushed for time and couldn't wait an extra week to have Toyota build one in the right colour..
Old 27-08-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
tickford_ghia
EL Fairmont Ghia

my car has a prestige sunroof in it.
It was in the car when i brought it and love it it slides back into the roof aswell. I highly recommend you get on you wont regret it
tickford_ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 08:27 PM   #6
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Thats actually a good price when you think about it - it used to be a $1,500ish option if memory serves me correctly.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Ford dealer sent the car to Prestige. A friend of mine optioned a roof on his Alfa 156 and i'm 99% sure Prestige installed it. I believe Prestige still install all the sunroofs for Alfa and other high end manufacturers here in Aus. Looks like I might have to go down and have a chat with them..

I know where you're coming from but its more than a hole in the roof. Unfortunately its one of those things that once you have one you'll always want one. All of our previous cars had a sunroof and (convertibles excluded) theres nothing better than having the sun shine in on a nice day. Also helps in winter when the heater is always on full bore.. don't have to constantly open/close the window because its too hot/cold. Spewing we didn't option it on mums camry either - we were pushed for time and couldn't wait an extra week to have Toyota build one in the right colour..
yeah i'm just trying to deter myself from getting one ;p I've wanted one in every car i've ever had. The EL was booked in for last friday to get one but i changed my mind at the last minute. I've heard different reports about different places, but from what i hear Prestige are the best, but you'll most likely be looking at at least $2200+ there for the 700. Could be wrong though, give em a call. When i rang them, the attitude of the girl who answered the phone put me off. When i asked her, quite politely i might add, about the difference in their price compared with others i had chatted to, she developed an attitude and told me 'go look at their workshops, then look at ours, YOU decide where you want it done' ... whether it be true or not her attitude annoyed me. Either way, i'm told they do great work.
Old 27-08-2006, 08:29 PM   #7
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickford_ghia
my car has a prestige sunroof in it.
It was in the car when i brought it and love it it slides back into the roof aswell. I highly recommend you get on you wont regret it
yep the 700 tilts and slides back into the roof. The 300 tilts and slides up over the roof.
Old 27-08-2006, 08:35 PM   #8
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
Why do you want to respray the car? The paint on your car is in very good nick.

FF
The paint is immaculate for a 10yo car but the front bumper and side sills are peppered with stone chips and there are a few little dents that give me sh**s so i want them removed. The reason you don't see the chips is because i carefully layer touchup paint in the chips and always detail the car properly, but i know they're still there. Also need to spray the engine bay because Mr Ford decided to spray EF engine bays matt blue/red/green/whatever.

The respray is at least a year away. The first thing i need to do is convince a few people to open 'their' wallets and give me a company car :
Old 27-08-2006, 08:42 PM   #9
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
The first thing i need to do is convince a few people to open 'their' wallets and give me a company car :
Good luck as your bosses boss is a Scotsman and we all know they suffer from 'short arm, deep pocket' syndrome.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 09:05 PM   #10
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
Good luck as your bosses boss is a Scotsman and we all know they suffer from 'short arm, deep pocket' syndrome.

FF
Where there is a will there is a way. If they start dragging their feet i'll just organise to go to the customer twice a week and continually hit them with km and city link reimbursement claims until they hurt :the_finge

Anyways... back on topic
Old 27-08-2006, 09:07 PM   #11
niko
likes falcon's

the holandia roofs are nice, i had one recently
Old 27-08-2006, 09:11 PM   #12
Polyal
The 'Stihl' Man
Donating Member2

yeah id love to get a sunroof, I tried to find a ghia that had a factory one when buying, but it seems people were to tight to tick the box...lol

At this point in time ive got other things Id rather spend ~2k on.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 09:39 PM   #13
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

i got a after market sunroof in my EL i got it from the wreckers out of a VK It is a Prestige sunroof
I rang them and they said it will fit my car so i got it $50
after that i just took a heap of messurements and did it a few times and then taped the roof up and then ut it out .
It has been in maybe 6 mths now and apart from loosing the clips at the start and waiting for Prestige to send them it dose not leek at all even when i pressure wash it and hold the washer up to the glass i allso tinted my sunroof as well before i put it in
Old 27-08-2006, 10:04 PM   #14
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick_xd
i got a after market sunroof in my EL i got it from the wreckers out of a VK It is a Prestige sunroof
I rang them and they said it will fit my car so i got it $50
after that i just took a heap of messurements and did it a few times and then taped the roof up and then ut it out .
It has been in maybe 6 mths now and apart from loosing the clips at the start and waiting for Prestige to send them it dose not leek at all even when i pressure wash it and hold the washer up to the glass i allso tinted my sunroof as well before i put it in
nice work

on the tinting side of it, i've been told by a few people tinting sunroofs isn't good for the glass ?
Old 27-08-2006, 10:06 PM   #15
niko
likes falcon's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
yeah id love to get a sunroof, I tried to find a ghia that had a factory one when buying, but it seems people were to tight to tick the box...lol

At this point in time ive got other things Id rather spend ~2k on.

something that has to be payed for so you can get it for free...who's the winner now (the person you bought the sunroofless ghia from) :P
Old 27-08-2006, 10:07 PM   #16
niko
likes falcon's

Quote:
i've been told by a few people tinting sunroofs isn't good for the glass ?

tint is just a thin layer of sticky film how can it affect a peice of glass :P attracts less heat=better for the glass??
Old 27-08-2006, 10:21 PM   #17
dveus 1
93' 5 Litre LTD

I have hollandia 700 sunroofs in bothe the LTD and the Fairlane.Top model that is a poptop and also retracts into the roof. I liked having a sunroof in the Fairlane and was looking to buy an LTD with one in it also.Just incase I saw a LTD I liked without a sunroof I rang around on prices for one.What Fantz said he was quoted for one is dirt cheap as most of the places I asked wanted to charge me between $2050 -$2495 fitted.Th e cheapest I could find..and this is about a month ago as Ive only had the LTD a little while...was $1850 fitted from PRECISION SUNROOFS in HIGHETT.ph #. 95537220..ASK FOR A GUY CALLED OWEN. After having a sunroof I would find it hard to go without having one now....so....ROLL ON SUMMER ! ! !
Hope this has been some help to you,,,,Regards,,,Andy

1993 5 Litre LTD.Stock motor.tinted windows,sunroof,pioneer P7550 7" DVD head deck + 2x7" headrest monitors,pioneer 260w rear,110w front,Kicker ES 1000w subby run by audioline 4channel 800w boot.Duel Fuel. Catback 2.5" exhaust.Hornet Alarm,Pimped Out LED's,Sits on King Lows & 17" ROH RT's.
A WORK IN PROGRESS HEHE :eclipsee_

Daily Ride: 1989 Telstar TX5 TURBO
dveus 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 10:26 PM   #18
niko
likes falcon's

PRECISION SUNROOFS= do mercs and posh cars, they know their stuff!
Old 27-08-2006, 10:27 PM   #19
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
tint is just a thin layer of sticky film how can it affect a peice of glass :P attracts less heat=better for the glass??
not the long term effects, the process of applying the tint (heat drying) apparently can craze/crack/warp the glass
Old 27-08-2006, 10:30 PM   #20
dveus 1
93' 5 Litre LTD

And the Guy name Owen that I spoke to had plenty of time for me.Wasnt rude ..actually he took the time to explain alot of things to me and after a whole day at work ringing around..he was the cheapest I could find.Didnt end up using him becoz I bought a car with one already installed.

1993 5 Litre LTD.Stock motor.tinted windows,sunroof,pioneer P7550 7" DVD head deck + 2x7" headrest monitors,pioneer 260w rear,110w front,Kicker ES 1000w subby run by audioline 4channel 800w boot.Duel Fuel. Catback 2.5" exhaust.Hornet Alarm,Pimped Out LED's,Sits on King Lows & 17" ROH RT's.

Old 27-08-2006, 10:31 PM   #21
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been thinking about this alot lately. I had a sunroof in my Merc and loved it. But putting a $2000 sunroof in a $3500 EF pov pack is not too financially appealing. These hollandia 700 sunroofs, are they electric. If so does anyone know a price on a manual slide back. Might make some calls tomorrow.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2006, 10:33 PM   #22
dveus 1
93' 5 Litre LTD

The Hollandia 700 is electric.....yes.

Old 27-08-2006, 10:57 PM   #23
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourBarrel
I've been thinking about this alot lately. I had a sunroof in my Merc and loved it. But putting a $2000 sunroof in a $3500 EF pov pack is not too financially appealing. These hollandia 700 sunroofs, are they electric. If so does anyone know a price on a manual slide back. Might make some calls tomorrow.
most of them are electric now, 700 & 300 are, there is a cheapo one, which is smaller, and just has the push up function, and you can remove the whole glass too apparently.. $600 ish ?
Old 28-08-2006, 07:32 AM   #24
niko
likes falcon's

Quote:
(heat drying)

they heat it to mould it and get wrinkles out, sunroofs are fairly flat so i don't see it as an issue and would need minimal moulding and i don't even think it would need heat

i had one done few years back and it was great
Old 28-08-2006, 09:07 AM   #25
mash85

i just got a hollandia 700 fitted to my ghia from prestige. you can beat them down on price a bit. they list it as $2299 fitted, but i got them to just over 2000.

they've done an awesome job, very happy with it. good customer service aswell.
i wasnt able to pick it up on the friday, which would have meant waiting till monday, but the guy was happy to meet me there Saturday morning.

as for tinting the glass, mine is already tinted from them. so i dont think its something you'd have to worry about.
mash85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2006, 01:17 PM   #26
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
they heat it to mould it and get wrinkles out, sunroofs are fairly flat so i don't see it as an issue and would need minimal moulding and i don't even think it would need heat

i had one done few years back and it was great
just relaying what i was told by a reputable tinting company when i asked if they'd tint a sunroof i was planning on getting..
Old 28-08-2006, 01:18 PM   #27
niko
likes falcon's

they gave you the, "we can't be bothered" line as you have to put up a sheet to stop water from getting everywhere and making a mess :P lol
Old 02-09-2006, 01:36 PM   #28
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash85
i just got a hollandia 700 fitted to my ghia from prestige. you can beat them down on price a bit. they list it as $2299 fitted, but i got them to just over 2000.

they've done an awesome job, very happy with it. good customer service aswell.
i wasnt able to pick it up on the friday, which would have meant waiting till monday, but the guy was happy to meet me there Saturday morning.

as for tinting the glass, mine is already tinted from them. so i dont think its something you'd have to worry about.
Sounds good. Would you mind posting a few interior/exterior pics?
Old 02-09-2006, 01:47 PM   #29
niko
likes falcon's

what's to see man, honestly. it will look like any other ford with a roof...lol
Old 02-09-2006, 03:09 PM   #30
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
what's to see man, honestly. it will look like any other ford with a roof...lol
Want to see what they've done to the headlining and interior light..