Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-09-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
Braddy36
Starter Motor

Default Well I've done it! Jumped from Toyota to Ford!!!

Well after a month of exhaustive searching & haggling with dealer's, I've just purchased my first Ford...A G6E. It's a beautiful looking car.

Removing that "Toyota" stamp from my forehead wasn't easy. My last 3 cars were Camry's & Corolla's. I can't believe that I was so blinkered with the Toyota's. True, those cars were relaible. But they are so bland & unadventurous.

This time I looked at: Toyota Presara, Honda Accord Euro, Mazda 6, VE Commodore & the G6E. The Ford won me over. It just looks beautiful inside & out.

The Holden's look so bland too. How can they outsell Ford's ???

Geez, I already "hate" Holden's now!!!

Braddy36 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 12:27 PM   #2
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome to the family mate, hope you find hours and hours of driving pleasure with your new ford
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
Tiapan
XF 393 3v CHI heads

Haha great news, welcome to the gang, post up some pics of the new beast, it would be great to see.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
Falcon4L
'04 BA XT

nice choice mate, I'm sure you'll be very happy with your purchase.

80 series Turbo Diesel Cruiser
Falcon4L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
Braddy36
Starter Motor

Thanks guys. Just can't wait to get it now...It's so exciting!
Old 07-09-2008, 12:41 PM   #6
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

welcome to the forum and fords too of course. are you planning any mods at all or leaving her stock? enjoy your new ride

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
FORDavid

Nice one, but bring some pics too
FORDavid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 12:57 PM   #8
want-a-XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have heard of so many people buying G6E's!!!!!!! my dad bought one a week ago, going home on thursday to drive it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

congrats
want-a-XY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 12:58 PM   #9
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Take that Toyota!

Now just have to convert 9.9 million more....
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 01:17 PM   #10
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You will be happy that you ditched the household appliance on wheels :

Seen a few G6Es around, very nice car indeed.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #11
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

congratulations on the purchase mate, and welcome to the forums
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 02:34 PM   #12
prydey
Rob

just out of curiousity as this comes up in numerous other threads, but were you influenced by any media advertising or did you basically do all your own research.

being a toyota recruit it would be interesting to hear your comments. many on here believe that falcon sales are down due to poor marketing or lack of marketing but others believe that potential buyers do not base their decisions on silly tv commercials.

were you influenced in any way, shape or form by any ads for any particular make?

congrats on your decision. Its yet another award winning car by ford that has won every review and i'd be very surprised if it doesn't take out car of the year again.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #13
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Congratulations on the purchase, and welcome
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 03:26 PM   #14
ST
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great pruchase mate, the G6E (na and turbo) seems to be the favourite of the FG range. Very upmarket looks both interior and exterior! Enjoy it.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:26 PM   #15
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

Excellent news mate congrats on dumping that piece of whitegood trash

Reliability is one thing but why drink a glass of water if you can have a coke or a nice imported premium beer (health benefits aside). Same difference.

I wish you many hours of motoring pleasure.

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 03:54 PM   #16
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Welcome mate, G6E's are a great looking car, my favourite FG model without going into FPV's!

BTW, you bedda post pics pics pics pics pics pics!
Sorry, but that's what seems to happen when ever someone mentions they've brought a new Falcon.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 05:06 PM   #17
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Another one converted! woo!!
Old 07-09-2008, 05:34 PM   #18
Braddy36
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
just out of curiousity as this comes up in numerous other threads, but were you influenced by any media advertising or did you basically do all your own research.

being a toyota recruit it would be interesting to hear your comments. many on here believe that falcon sales are down due to poor marketing or lack of marketing but others believe that potential buyers do not base their decisions on silly tv commercials.

were you influenced in any way, shape or form by any ads for any particular make?

congrats on your decision. Its yet another award winning car by ford that has won every review and i'd be very surprised if it doesn't take out car of the year again.
Yet again thanks for well wishes from all who have replied to this newbie.

It was not media advertising that got me into the Ford. I did a lot of research on all of the car sites. I don't recall seeing any ads aimed at this Ford either.

One thing I did notice about the Ford salespeople is that they just don't come over & talk to you like other salesman from other dealerships.

Mazda & Honda were all over me as soon as I walked into the showroom. Walking into a Ford showroom is like walking around a shopping centre on AFL grand final day. No one comes near you! I had to approach them. That can't be good for Ford sales.

I nearly brought a Honda Accord Euro, but once I saw the G6E, I had that certain feeling that "this IS the car" for me.

The Toyota's really are a bland looking car. I think I wanted something more classy, more sporty looking. It was so convenient in the past to buy Toyota's without putting a premium on performance and looks. I think I was just lazy!

One thing I will ask you guys though is. Would you buy this car with the
E-gas ??? I do a lot of km's. I'm not really after a hotted up sports car as such, however I do want this car to be economical with good power when I need it.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:55 PM   #19
prydey
Rob

combined with the 6 speed the fg is meant to return close to 10l/100km in petrol form. this would give a range of around 600ish from a tank around town. the e-gas would be closer to 15l/100km with a 90l tank i think giving a range of around 600 as well.

the cost to fill the petrol tank would be around $90 - $100 and the cost to fill the e-gas would be around $60.

from my very rough calculations i reckon about $30 a tank chaeper. not a massive difference but depending on how many tanks you go through a year, could make quite a difference.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:06 PM   #20
Darkr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice choice mate! You have moved from a whitegood to a car!
You are correct in saying toyota's are bland!
Old 07-09-2008, 06:50 PM   #21
Braddy36
Starter Motor

Thanks mate. Now I have to sell my "fridge on wheels".

I'm driving everyone crazy at home now...I can't decide whether to go with the gas or not ???
Old 07-09-2008, 07:01 PM   #22
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how many ks a week you do

if it is a sh1tload i would look at the gas option if not then petrol all the way

just my thought

and welcome to aff nice choice if i had the option to buy a new falcon that would prob be it

Grimus

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 07:29 PM   #23
Braddy36
Starter Motor

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimus
how many ks a week you do

if it is a sh1tload i would look at the gas option if not then petrol all the way

just my thought

and welcome to aff nice choice if i had the option to buy a new falcon that would prob be it

Grimus
Grimus I would probably average 500-550 km's per week. My Camry V6 is costing me a fortune at present.

Wouldn't the resale value in 2 year's time, be better with the gas option too ?

Oh & thanks for your welcome
Old 07-09-2008, 09:05 PM   #24
prydey
Rob

if you buy a gas car i think you still get $1000 cash back from the govt.

550km/wk using my rough calculations from above would save you around $1500/yr with the e-gas over the petrol.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:06 PM   #25
Crazed

Im a big fan of LPG cars, you enjoy driving so much more when the fuel your using is dirt cheap, you dont fret about how much your driving is costing - just like the good ol' days.

However like most good things, there are some downsides and Ford likes to make choosing LPG hard because with the LPG G6E the following occurs:

6 speed auto turns to 4 speed.
No Stability Control.
No Traction Control (I think).
Smaller boot space.
Less power and torque.

However you still get a beautiful car which is very cheap to run and still have more power and torque than most other cars on the road. Plus you get a grand back from the Government.

Make sure you take one for a drive first, but if you like it I would choose it if the dealer would let you have it for not much more than the petrol - I personally believe that it should be a no cost option due to the features you lose, that way the government rebate is bonus money.

And you may be right about resale, as my quick dirty research shows that there can be often a 2 grand premium on LPG Falcons at auction.
Crazed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 10:02 PM   #26
falcon convert

Dude I'm right there with you. Ordered my first Ford (a G6E same as you) in 20 years a few weeks ago. Awaiting delivery in 2 weeks (though the wait is killing me). They are a class act - way better than anything at or around the price. Coming over from a history of Holdens and Mitsubishis rather than Toyotas, but my research came to exactly the same conclusions.
falcon convert is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 11:07 PM   #27
Braddy36
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazed
However you still get a beautiful car which is very cheap to run and still have more power and torque than most other cars on the road. Plus you get a grand back from the Government.
Yes still a very good buy at $46K on road especially with the Sat. Nav & Ipod integration. Gas really is a no cost option for me. Was quoted a price of $54,600 on road in the western suburbs today. The salesperson there said he could probably take a $1,000 off this price.

I intend to trade up to a new car every 2-3 years, hopefully I'll still have some good resale value.

As you say even with gas, it still has more power & torque than most cars on the road. When petrol hits $2 per litre eventually (gas will increase too no doubt) it may vindicate my decision even further.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:15 PM   #28
Braddy36
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon convert
Dude I'm right there with you. Ordered my first Ford (a G6E same as you) in 20 years a few weeks ago. Awaiting delivery in 2 weeks (though the wait is killing me). They are a class act - way better than anything at or around the price. Coming over from a history of Holdens and Mitsubishis rather than Toyotas, but my research came to exactly the same conclusions.
Yes it's a good feeling to know that you have picked this car on it's merits. In the space of 4 weeks, I have learnt so much by browsing though the various car sites on the net. It helps a lot to know your stuff when you walk into to negotiate with a dealer.

Gee it's more of a sea change for you coming from the "arch enemy" in Holden!
Old 07-09-2008, 11:54 PM   #29
bennyk351

My old man almost bought one,but decided on the xr6t ,hes so happy with his new car ,cant believe the diff between his old comm sv8 and new one.Youve done well mate happy motoring
bennyk351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2008, 11:59 PM   #30
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldnt get E-Gas.
Get an aftermarket dual fuel.

If I was going to get a factory gas car it would have to be a Commodore Im sorry to say. Falcon's E-Gas system is pathetic and isnt any better than whats on my EL!! Its worse actually becuase its only single fuel.

Holden has just dropped the price a fair bit too on their LPG option. I think you are only out of pocket $500 after the rebate.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post