Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-10-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Oil price $200 a barrel by Christmas 2008?

Thats what some oracles forecast, does anyone have an explanation as to why pump prices are over $1.50 a litre when the barrel price is under $80 US? I cannot accept the fall in the $AU is all that is keeping 91 octane over $1.50 a litre! :
cheers
Bill.

Old 12-10-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M
Thats what some oracles forecast, does anyone have an explanation as to why pump prices are over $1.50 a litre when the barrel price is under $80 US? I cannot accept the fall in the $AU is all that is keeping 91 octane over $1.50 a litre! :
cheers
Bill.
Probably about 15-20 cents over priced, someone is making money out of it and it sure as hell ain't us!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 11:15 AM   #3
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M
cheers
Bill.
The oracle is wrong, oil has more chance of being US$50.00 per barrel by christmas than over US$100.00 per barrel as scared speculators and investors get out of oil futures and back into core commodities such as metals. As for the price here, although the dollar has fallen from its record highs of 98 cents US back to 67 cents US affecting what AUD$ we pay for it, the petrol watch scam and the ACCC have allowed profiteering to go on unabated and they are both throwing their hands up in the air not knowing what to do. It appears that all that empty rhetoric before last years election was just that, empty. Whatsmore is even the petrol watch commissioner quitting his post due to the postumus nature of the whole scam err scheme.
Saying one is serious on tackling the rising cost of petrol is one thing, saying it whilst simultaneously increasing the excise on diesel fuel as well as internally planning the reintroduction of petrol excise indexation is indeed the very definition of a hypocrite.
My solution, lie down on a bed of shopper dockets and repeat over and over the phrase "working families" until you fall asleep and wake up in 2010 when this whole bogus fiasco is over.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 11:23 AM   #4
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
Saying one is serious on tackling the rising cost of petrol is one thing, saying it whilst simultaneously increasing the excise on diesel fuel as well as internally planning the reintroduction of petrol excise indexation is indeed the very definition of a hypocrite..
I must have missed something here, is this speculation or fact ?
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #5
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Like both sides care too much !! They still get the tax's..
That's on total price...
Ethanol made and sold separate to oil companies to promote competition!!
Is in the answer
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Not speculation, fact. There has been a leaked white paper on the matter, as well as a now open discussion on agreement of the states on increasing the GST from 10% to 12%. Thankfully for the GST, the government changed in WA which means that concensus between the states won't be reached and ergo the GST won't be changed however, they are now looking at ways to increase revenue through taxation and excise indexation is seen as a viable alternative due to its indirectness meaning it is typically being hidden from public opinion.

As for the 2cpl increase in excise on Diesel, that happened on December 1st 2007.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 12-10-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
The oracle is wrong, oil has more chance of being US$50.00 per barrel by christmas than over US$100.00 per barrel as scared speculators and investors get out of oil futures and back into core commodities such as metals. As for the price here, although the dollar has fallen from its record highs of 98 cents US back to 67 cents US affecting what AUD$ we pay for it, the petrol watch scam and the ACCC have allowed profiteering to go on unabated and they are both throwing their hands up in the air not knowing what to do. It appears that all that empty rhetoric before last years election was just that, empty. Whatsmore is even the petrol watch commissioner quitting his post due to the postumus nature of the whole scam err scheme.
Saying one is serious on tackling the rising cost of petrol is one thing, saying it whilst simultaneously increasing the excise on diesel fuel as well as internally planning the reintroduction of petrol excise indexation is indeed the very definition of a hypocrite.
My solution, lie down on a bed of shopper dockets and repeat over and over the phrase "working families" until you fall asleep and wake up in 2010 when this whole bogus fiasco is over.
Thats what happens when you vote in an ultra conservative government :,

big corporates work hand in hand with government to make huge profits..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 11:46 AM   #8
ltd
Force Fed Fords

JUst a side note too to think about, before they started discussing reintroducing excise indexation, has everyone else noted the concerted effort to demonise cars with an engine capacity over 2 litres? What about the councils of the same party such as North Sydney trying to fine vehicles based on engine size?
You see, create the illusion of a problem with global warming, carbon credits etc which then gets heaps of press, then go on to introduce new taxes which are aimed supposedly at the problem to rapturous applause of the die hards and the party faithful.
Indexation will be championed as a way to offset carbon emmissions, as well as stop people buying V8's and other killers.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 12-10-2008, 11:59 AM   #9
omn1potent

Exclamation More details here.....

The rising price (and associated costs) of Oil / Petrol Discussion Thread.
omn1potent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 01:27 PM   #10
bob^
LPS

How much was petrol this time last year?
I've done a bit of research and the last time oil was this price was mid Septemper 2007, and then it started to rise from there.
At the same time, our dollar was around the 0.79c mark.
Petrol down here is $1.43lt currently.

Oil history - http://www.nyse.tv/crude-oil-price-history.htm
Exchange rate history - http://www.oanda.com/convert/fxhistory (2000 day max history)
bob^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 01:51 PM   #11
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So much for Mr Rudds "applying a blow torch" speech!
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2008, 06:39 PM   #12
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

I was going to do the same thing bob^. I have been thinking of looking up the figures from 2007 and back further but also trying to find OZ petrol prices from those times as well.
If the price of oil keeps going down in the next few months and the $ figure stays the same or goes up, you can bet the fuel price will stay the same and some other 'fantasy story' will be made up to explain it. Even with the $ at the current price it is, with oil price going down, the fuel price should still be going down.
I remember back in 1998 when I went to to the US, the AU$ was @ 51/53c and petrol was still @ 60ishc/L in QLD. I don't know what the oil price was back then but I'm going to have a look and see if I can find it.

But as usual, the Australian people get shafted and the rich get richer.

Also. people need to stop listening to and believing the 'media lies' and start thinking for themselves!

That's all.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:33 PM   #13
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Wheel Drive
I was going to do the same thing bob^. I have been thinking of looking up the figures from 2007 and back further but also trying to find OZ petrol prices from those times as well.
If the price of oil keeps going down in the next few months and the $ figure stays the same or goes up, you can bet the fuel price will stay the same and some other 'fantasy story' will be made up to explain it. Even with the $ at the current price it is, with oil price going down, the fuel price should still be going down.
I remember back in 1998 when I went to to the US, the AU$ was @ 51/53c and petrol was still @ 60ishc/L in QLD. I don't know what the oil price was back then but I'm going to have a look and see if I can find it.

But as usual, the Australian people get shafted and the rich get richer.

Also. people need to stop listening to and believing the 'media lies' and start thinking for themselves!

That's all.
At the moment it is convenient for the price of petrol to be high, as it artificially inflates the GST on petrol giving a huge windfall to the states which frankly, are in a budgetary twilight zone. If the price of petrol was pressured by the ACCC or the federal government, the federal government would then have to make up the shortfall as they are the only ones in the country with a surplus. What we'll continue to witness is the employment of diversionary tactics as well as spin endorsed by a compliant media in order to take the heat out of the petrol prices debate. Seriously, we are getting royally screwed. With inflation running over 5% and companies downsizing or going bust, we are in for some tumultuous times ahead. I pity Ford, as most people will hold off on a purchase in these uncertain times. For those that decide to buy a car from ford and can afford it well done, you will be the very ones keeping them going throughout this recession that we didn't need.

Quote: