Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-02-2006, 04:15 PM   #1
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default I had an SV6!?!

I dont know what the deal was, maybe he wasnt trying hard enough or something, but i beat him to about 100km/h! I thought thoes things are supposed to have the "special" 190kW V6 in them? How can my stock auto I6 beat it?
Either way, i couldnt get the smile off my face for hours!! :

ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 04:50 PM   #2
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

0-100 they are a pig... I dont even bother with them now, they simply dont stand a chance.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 05:24 PM   #3
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

I second that ..lmao.. - i had a bloke in sv6 looking away in embarisement , he couldn't shake me off his *** from the lights , was even to a point where i was like almost 'pushing him' , lol - i could see him lookin back in his rear view mirror with the most worried look on his face ) , he backed off before 100 and went to the left lane when it opened into 2 lanes, he wouldn't look at me , was prolly to embarised ) - and i knew he was giving it a bit cos you could her it screaming but going nowhere ..lol
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 07:26 PM   #4
TCK-098

My best mates uncle owns a VY SV6 and he was always revving me up on how he has 190kw and that he could blow my Au to the ground.

Each time i see him i ask how his car is going and he tells me to F**k off.
Old 25-02-2006, 08:26 PM   #5
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Default Bogandore

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
0-100 they are a pig... I dont even bother with them now, they simply dont stand a chance.
Seems strange? What do the standard 175kw Commodores go like? A guy a work just bought an S model & I am sick of hearing about it.!
Old 25-02-2006, 08:30 PM   #6
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeperau
:

Seems strange? What do the standard 175kw Commodores go like? A guy a work just bought an S model & I am sick of hearing about it.!
um.. to give you an example. Pulled up next to one at the lights last night. They went green, I toddled off. At 40kph we were even and I realised he was racing me. : Figured I better give it more than 1/4 throttle.
Was all over at the 70kph limit.. he was a carlength behind.
If I had planted it at the start he would have been easily a carlenght behind by 40kph and much more by 70kph... but I dont really street race.

Then again, according to some, my car is a Problematic Hack so you could probably whip it by more. :

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 08:35 PM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeperau
:

S model would be a VT,VX,VY (probably went back further than that. The VZ is an SV6.
If it had the ecotec non supercharged motor than it was a pig of a car, especially if it was an auto. Honestly I wouldn't bother with a Holden 6 as the Ford equivalant is a better ride IMO. I've driven both and Ford wins.

I have a 6sp auto I6 fairlane for the weekend and gave my mate a drive (he drives a VT) and he was surprised how much power the thing had.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2006, 08:42 PM   #8
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Talking

Quote:
um.. to give you an example. Pulled up next to one at the lights last night. They went green, I toddled off. At 40kph we were even and I realised he was racing me. : Figured I better give it more than 1/4 throttle.
If I had planted it at the start he would have been easily a carlenght behind by 40kph and much more by 70kph... but I dont really street race.

Then again, according to some, my car is a Problematic Hack so you could probably whip it by more. :
Thanks Casper, I look forward to lining up next to him at the lights to keep him quiet.

P.s I haven't got my cam or chip fitted yet so your so called "problematic hack" would be quicker than mine
Old 25-02-2006, 09:54 PM   #9
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well now i know next time, i have always back out of going against anything newer than a VS, but this guy had been giving me ИИИИ for three sets of lights. i showed him! my grandpa car is better than both of us thought! :nutsycuck
Old 26-02-2006, 01:50 AM   #10
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
S model would be a VT,VX,VY (probably went back further than that. The VZ is an SV6.
If it had the ecotec non supercharged motor than it was a pig of a car, especially if it was an auto. Honestly I wouldn't bother with a Holden 6 as the Ford equivalant is a better ride IMO. I've driven both and Ford wins.

I have a 6sp auto I6 fairlane for the weekend and gave my mate a drive (he drives a VT) and he was surprised how much power the thing had.
Execpting a supercharged V6 your right the rest are very ordinanary.
The Ford 6 is far superior & the 380 3.8 V6 is even a superior mtr to the holdens V6's
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 01:52 AM   #11
xd5.8l
Banned

Quote:

I like that one. We're not rediculously fast or slow. You find many people in gen3's especialy need to use their extra 1000rpm to stamp their authority 9/10 can't be bothered. Not that I poch faster cars, just difficult not trying to stick it up the general whenever the opportunity arises.
xd5.8l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 08:34 AM   #12
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Had a guy in an SV6 trying to show off to his gf the otherday ... I was in the Territory just after I had it washed ... I could see him being an idiot in traffic. Lights went red ... he ducks into the left lane (that is ending just after the traffic lights).

So I thought yeah no probs ... I just shift across to D (Pef mode) ... sit on the brake and load up the auto a little bit ... he is revving and edging forward ... lights go green ... I launch perfectly ... he missed it ....wheelspins and tries it up the inside. But this time I was already across the intersection and really moving.

Now the AWD Territories really don't have that much power to the ground due to the AWD system ... in the dry the SV6 should have beaten in (I would have thought anyway ... seeing as I am dragging 2-ton of metal and realistically only putting about 115kw@wheels to the ground).

The guy tried it again ... this time I thought I'd given manual mode a try ... seeing he might get the launch right. Lights go green ... I get a chirp from the front wheels off the line ... slippery bastard (oh I had one level of traction control turned off as well) ... still launched hard though. This time I was surprised even more ... the guy got a better launch ... but I had a full car-length (wagon length) lead at the otherside of the intersection and kept increasing it on every manual gearchange.

Next set of traffic lights he decided to drop in behind me .... I think he was too embarrassde to try again as he knew he didn't have a chance against a "soccer Mum" vehicle ... The old T did me proud ... LOL (and mines still stock as a rock as well)
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 09:58 AM   #13
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isnt the VZ SV6 auto a tad quicker than an BA XR6 auto as per wheels motor etc over the quater & to 100k?

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 10:08 AM   #14
stiddy
Banned

You guys in territories are all hoons! i swear! lol
Had some dude in a Territory off the set of lights near McGraths Hill maccas lights heading Windsor way try and give me a go.. (was probably you mechan1k lol)
They go alright for what they are, didnt take too much effort to spank him althought he already a car length ahead before i reaslised what was going on lol, wheeled past him by the time i was top of 2nd (100km/h)

Last edited by stiddy; 26-02-2006 at 10:13 AM.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 10:12 AM   #15
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
Had some dude in a Territory off the set of lights near McGraths Hill maccas lights heading Windsor way try and give me a go.. (was probably you mechan1k lol)
They go alright for what they are, didnt have too much effort spanking it in my car, but still gave me a little shock, he was already a car length ahead before i reaslised what was going on lol, wheeled past him by the time i was top of 2nd (100km/h)
Could have been me ... but I would have recognised your car and flashed you.
What hampers it is the weight ... in the wet though ... same launches as in the dry ... no traction loss ... grip is well ... bloody good.

Has shocked a few people on the road ... mountain twisties are fun as well.

My LPG ute is a dog compared to the Territory .... LOL
Old 26-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #16
stiddy
Banned

You would have flashed me? lol settle down mate, keep it P.G hahaha jk

one think i love about 4wd is traction in the wet, well most of the time, dont go with chris in his suby.. lol honestly, he has everything but traction..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 11:00 AM   #17
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
They go alright for what they are, didnt take too much effort to spank him althought he already a car length ahead before i reaslised what was going on lol, wheeled past him by the time i was top of 2nd (100km/h)
You gotta wonder what the "T HOONS" are going to be like when they get another T (turbo) in front of thier badges :the_finge
LOL Whoosha

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 11:32 AM   #18
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

A VZ SV6 will keep up with a BA XR6 and they are both low 15 second cars, somehow I think it was either the 152 KW VY S V6 non supercharged or he wasnt trying..
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 11:33 AM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Or he couldn't drive ... LOL
Old 26-02-2006, 01:33 PM   #20
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont see how you can not know how to drive an auto, just mash the right foot! I dont know commondoors that well, but all i do know is that it had a bodykit and SV6 all over it. wouldnt have a clue if it was a VY or VZ though. And i am convinced he was giving it something, cos like i said, he had been on my ИИИИ for three sets of lights. Didnt get him by much, maybe my bonnett length, but the fact that i was infront at all made me proud of my golf club hauler!!
Old 26-02-2006, 01:41 PM   #21
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

The old supercharged V6 was a worry in the VS-VX but the new V6 is just overwhelmed by the weight of the commodore. They rev really well and are fun to drive hard in isolation but put up against a falcon they feel gutless down low and in auto only a match for a stock BA. Should beat a stock AU but not convincingly at street speeds less than 100k.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 04:38 PM   #22
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mind my ignorance but my understanding is SV6 = supercharged V6??

from the stats i was reading the VCT AUs had only 5nm less torque than the Supercharged V6..
so that just shows how crap the supercharged boat anchors are!! and ours are naturaly aspirated
Old 26-02-2006, 04:43 PM   #23
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

SV6 is holdens all new 24v v6 mate
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 04:46 PM   #24
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

3.6L 60-degree Double Overhead Cam V6 with 4 valves per cylinder. Sequential fuel injection.
High energy, distributorless ignition. Twin knock control sensors with individual cylinder adaptive control. Onboard diagnostics. Electric cooling fan. Stainless steel exhaust.Continuously variable camshaft phasing for inlet and exhaust cams. Variable intake man
Quote:
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
Old 26-02-2006, 05:01 PM   #25
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BargeEA
i dont see how you can not know how to drive an auto, just mash the right foot! I dont know commondoors that well, but all i do know is that it had a bodykit and SV6 all over it. wouldnt have a clue if it was a VY or VZ though. And i am convinced he was giving it something, cos like i said, he had been on my ИИИИ for three sets of lights. Didnt get him by much, maybe my bonnett length, but the fact that i was infront at all made me proud of my golf club hauler!!
You can believe that but A) street racing is illegal and B) if your cars a stock AU then its good for a 16 second quartermile time, compared to that of the holden which is low 15's.

Either it was the old model with SV6 badges and the 152 Ecotec (which still beat the AU) or it was running on 3 cylinders, as they do bog down and go pretty hard.

And know im not a holden man, but I do know what they are capable of. :evil_laug
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 05:02 PM   #26
Rollin
Banned

not that i in any way want to give anyone the impression that i am standing up for the holden product (cause i ИИИИen hate them) but the alloytech motor is held back a huge amount by its computer IMHO.

i drove one a while ago, and it seemed that the fly-by wire throttle was conspiring with the massivley retarded ignition timing to stop any chance of actual horsepower getting through the gearbox...

i believe they are set up so they do have that massive 190kw (yawn) but the power curve is engineered to stop any chance of the tyres lighting up no matter what you do with the throttle and steering wheel.

as with the Gen III, i believe that a totally stock alloytech-equipped vehicle could be a much quicker and less irritating bit of kit if you got a good tune in it...wind the timing up, get that FBW throttle body to snap WOT as soon as your foot does etc...but the stockers are shockers....
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 05:02 PM   #27
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Nice mate just *inger his fantasy
Quote:
Old 26-02-2006, 06:33 PM   #28
Joes_meat
Churches Eat Souls

I've heard a lot of people saying they prefer the old V6 Ecotec to the new Alloytec. The alloytec is outright quicker, but the old motor had better low-down torque and certanly isn't 38KW slower.

I hope they bring out a turbo model, like the new Saab's have (albeit a smaller displacement.)
Joes_meat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2006, 11:32 PM   #29
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem is.. dispite it the new commodores having so much power for a V6.. the things are just too bloody heavy. Look at a VT for example.. a VN V6 can take one.. my old Done-Up VR Commodore could keep up with newer models.. simply because the VR was lighter.

But in this case. Maybe it was just a poor example of the SV6 you came up against.. every now and then u come up against something, thats way out of ur league yet you do suprisingly well against it.
onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2006, 01:29 AM   #30
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
The problem is.. dispite it the new commodores having so much power for a V6.. the things are just too bloody heavy. Look at a VT for example.. a VN V6 can take one.. my old Done-Up VR Commodore could keep up with newer models.. simply because the VR was lighter.

But in this case. Maybe it was just a poor example of the SV6 you came up against.. every now and then u come up against something, thats way out of ur league yet you do suprisingly well against it.

Your right , the motor itself is a nice piece of work and powerfull , but not powerfull enough to move that heavy body fast enough !- and that extra weight also majorlly effects the overall handling and the performance of the car ... a shame ... but besides that i have never really liked holdens much anyway -> only for that fact that when sitting in them it seems so small inside the car , like your almost toutching shoulders with the person next to you . :
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post