Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-03-2008, 03:04 AM   #1
lukey
www.lukehimself.net

Default My Adventure of the Day

I thought I'd share this story with my forum friends as it was a good adventure to add to my day.

Driving home from work down Corrigan Road, a magpie next the road decides it's time to fly off right into my way - BANG, no chance to brake I've hit the poor thing. I looked back in my rear vision and don't see any magpie on the road, and it didn't fly off. I thought the things stuck in the front of the car! Pulled into a carpark as soon as I could, and there's the thing not moving and wedged in my front bar, right in there jammed really well. :\ Pics pics:

I thought he's wedged in there pretty good and looks dead enough so no use trying to get him out here, I'll wait til I get home and get it out (before a few snaps of course). I drove home with this magpie sticking in my bar and a few looks from those coming the other way with their windows open. I figured if anyone asked I'd just tell them I like to keep magpies there.

I got home (only about 5-10 minutes down the road) and my neighbor was out so I said hey come check out this roadkill! He came over and thought it was pretty cool/awful and I asked my dad to come out and help. We got a broom to wedge it out but as we start its wing moves. The things alive!

We kept on giving it light pushes out as we didn't want to hurt the thing but eventually it got out, ran towards me (I screamed cos the thing looked like it wanted blood) but then squawked twice and took flight.

A happy ending for me and the magpie. Apart from the poor thing sitting with its head wedged near the radiator for a good 10 minutes at 60km, it still flew off fine with no injuries!

Hope someone found it as entertaining as I did

Old 03-03-2008, 03:06 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukey
I thought I'd share this story with my forum friends as it was a good adventure to add to my day.

Driving home from work down Corrigan Road, a magpie next the road decides it's time to fly off right into my way - BANG, no chance to brake I've hit the poor thing. I looked back in my rear vision and don't see any magpie on the road, and it didn't fly off. I thought the things stuck in the front of the car! Pulled into a carpark as soon as I could, and there's the thing not moving and wedged in my front bar, right in there jammed really well. :\ Pics pics:

I thought he's wedged in there pretty good and looks dead enough so no use trying to get him out here, I'll wait til I get home and get it out (before a few snaps of course). I drove home with this magpie sticking in my bar and a few looks from those coming the other way with their windows open. I figured if anyone asked I'd just tell them I like to keep magpies there.

I got home (only about 5-10 minutes down the road) and my neighbor was out so I said hey come check out this roadkill! He came over and thought it was pretty cool/awful and I asked my dad to come out and help. We got a broom to wedge it out but as we start its wing moves. The things alive!

We kept on giving it light pushes out as we didn't want to hurt the thing but eventually it got out, ran towards me (I screamed cos the thing looked like it wanted blood) but then squawked twice and took flight.

A happy ending for me and the magpie. Apart from the poor thing sitting with its head wedged near the radiator for a good 10 minutes at 60km, it still flew off fine with no injuries!

Hope someone found it as entertaining as I did
That is truly amazing!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 03:15 AM   #3
goldfire

DUDE ZOMFG that's awesome!!.. ZOMBIE MAGPIE!!!

Sorry just HAD to write that.. I mean.. seriously that's awesome.. pity no video of it like coming towards you. That'd be outta this world.

but still.. ZOMBIE MAGPIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... maybe they can use him to replace Eddie hhahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.
goldfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

bah! he was a mexican magpie and was just sleeping
Old 03-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
vandrsxr6
Force Fed Fords

Thats crazy.

310rwkw and always chasing more

Now with 6th Gear

RAPID PERFORMANCE

ORSM FORD CRUISER
vandrsxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 12:21 PM   #6
alecrain
'03 BA XT

Cool serves them right!

serves them right! for all those people they swooped :

Beautiful Photography Blog

2003 BA XT
IMPCO SVI - TYPHOON CAI +XR6T snorkel - K&N Panel Filter - DBA Slotties - Tint

1998 Toyota Landcruiser Prado

www.bseries.com.au/alecrain

Quote:
People that drive slower than ME are BAD DRIVERS,
People that drive faster are IDIOTS
alecrain is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Note. This does not work if an EMU is involved.........trust me
Old 03-03-2008, 12:48 PM   #8
BFYOOT

they must be truly tougher than their little look alikes, the "peewee". i hit one last week and it it dissapeared in a puff of feathers. all that was left was a feather in my lower grill, poor bugger...
BFYOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #9
XHUTE6
Bugger! 1390mm too long!!

Emu's are fun scraping off the road. I hit 4 in my truck near the parking bay 7km or so Gol Gol side of Euston and i stopped to check that they hadn't pulled any air lines etc. They only pinched an air regulator valve but the sight and sounds of the emu's as i pulled them off the road was gruesome. The road is still marked even now.
XHUTE6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 03:42 PM   #10
crusher
Dirty ute club member

My mum had a 28 parrot stuck on the front of her car once. Except it had its wings spread out either side of it and head jammed in the grill. Didnt notice untill she got home. Was funny as hell.

I ran over a couple birds last week. They were eating some grain off the road and as I came closer they looked at me but didnt move. I figured theyd move when I got real close. Nope. Ran right over the top of them. Looked in my rear view mirror to see if they were squished and guess what. THEY WERE STILL THERE EATING! Didnt even budge. Was kinda bizzare.
crusher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 06:22 PM   #11
Fantome

I remember somebody telling me (while travelling on a highway at 110kph) that it was impossible to hit a crow. Guess what. 10 minutes later I hit a crow.
Fantome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 06:30 PM   #12
MrEL
Sick Puppy

I scored a crow on the Hay plain. Got it at 180 in a KJII Laser. Bumper bars and number plate aint real strong on those. It still got me to Adelaide and back was just a bit of a mess.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 09:45 PM   #13
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Old 03-03-2008, 09:58 PM   #14
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Hahaha that story & pictures made my day!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #15
andrewts
White Car Driver

I remember hitting a bird. (Running over it.) It sat in the centre of the road, and waited till it was too late to move, and I copped it with the front left wheel. It made a popping noise, and also a crunching noise at the same time. Imagine stomping on a bag of chips. Also, my dad once copped a possum at 60ks. It hesitated, dad hesitated, it moved, dad floored it, and it got hit haha. No damage. Well, none to the car. Apparently you have to tell somebody if you hit a possum in Vic, but being from NSW we just grabbed it by the tail and hurled it into some bushes.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:03 PM   #16
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

lol zombie magpie
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 10:15 PM   #17
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukey

thats a prety large name tag for such a small bird
Old 03-03-2008, 10:57 PM   #18
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL @ zombie Magpie

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 11:25 PM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
the old wombats make a big bang also........
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2008, 11:42 PM   #20
Paxton
Cobblers!

I hit a Magpie on the road into Wagga about ten years ago. It hit the BullBar on my Patrol, and snapped its neck. I drove past the site two days later when I was leaving, and the bloody thing (quite literally) was still there. I killed the poor thing.

On another trip, this time North, I was at a Motel in Miles (west of Brisbane) when an Audi pulled up with half its front end missing. My Mrs got to talking to the driver, as the two of us were walking around the car trying to work out what it had hit. Turns out the driver was doing considerably over the speed limit (not that I wasn't either, but there is a limit that a Diesel Patrol can do) when they hit a Bush Pig just after Dusk. They had to get to Rockhampton before they wrote the bloody thing off.

alecrain: There is a typo in your Signature - What's an Idot?
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2008, 11:49 AM   #21
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
the old wombats make a big bang also........
And koalas too!!!
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2008, 02:01 PM   #22
Carby

Good read that - obviously the bird was terrified as there was a predatory FALCON about!
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #23
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
I hit a Magpie on the road into Wagga about ten years ago. It hit the BullBar on my Patrol, and snapped its neck. I drove past the site two days later when I was leaving, and the bloody thing (quite literally) was still there. I killed the poor thing.

On another trip, this time North, I was at a Motel in Miles (west of Brisbane) when an Audi pulled up with half its front end missing. My Mrs got to talking to the driver, as the two of us were walking around the car trying to work out what it had hit. Turns out the driver was doing considerably over the speed limit (not that I wasn't either, but there is a limit that a Diesel Patrol can do) when they hit a Bush Pig just after Dusk. They had to get to Rockhampton before they wrote the bloody thing off.

alecrain: There is a typo in your Signature - What's an Idot?
Oh the magpie was funny, good to see him survive
Old 04-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #24
Jesk
certified nutter

Yeah the maggies are tough little buggers, tougher then my first car's wing mirror that collected one at probably a little over 110, my drivers window was still etched with the out-line of the mirror swinging hard back into it when I sold it, plus the mirror was held on with racing tape (amazingly the mirror glass remained intact), along with the front bumper, that was cos of a good sized hare at similar speeds! 993cc suzis really weren't made that tough
Jesk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #25
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carby
Good read that - obviously the bird was terrified as there was a predatory FALCON about!
*boom boom CRASH* go the drums hahaha
Old 04-03-2008, 04:06 PM   #26
ELtim
Six One Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by saber
And koalas too!!!
And Hyundia's

For Sale: Year Old Gas System
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=2644272#post2644272
ELtim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #27
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

i hit a bird yesterday in my fairmont. A huge pigeon. it hit the passenger side mirror causing it to fold in and then proceeding on to hit my mates arm lol. He winged for ages that his arm was broken but it wasnt.

The mirrors had feathers stuck in it and some feathers came inside the car

PS roos are a pain to hit and rabbits are fun to hit lol

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2008, 05:52 PM   #28
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Spot the fox... i think it was a fox...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2008, 06:49 PM   #29
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Spot the roo:

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-03-2008, 07:36 PM   #30
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Hahahahaha!!! thats one of the funniest things i've read in a long time lol!!