Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 02-06-2007, 02:31 PM   #1
metalhead_mike

Default nl fairlane ghia 6cyl with 211k's

im picking up my new nl fairlane ghia next week its burgandy with immaculate interior and engine bay aside from afew dents and scratches its pretty nice.

its done 211,000 and the guy im buying it off says it hasnt blown the head gasket yet well at 211 ive kinda prepared myself that its guna blow soon so my first question is how much does that cost to fix and 2nd are there any other common problems they have that will cost an arm and a leg too get fixed. i think i got a good deal on it, i went private and its costing me $6,200 with 3 months reg and a rwc

i wanted a v8 but i dont know that theres much difference in power or reliability between the v8 and the I6 except the v8 has a better note of course but i assumed the 6 im getting will be cheaper for parts to fix than the v8 version

metalhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 02:37 PM   #2
Dezza
Parts bin special

I had the headgasket done on my car for about $500, but it can be up anywhere between about $500 and $1000. Other problems to be careful of are power windows which can stuff up and are a few hundred dollars to fix, and make sure the aircon works too. Overall, they are a nice car though.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2007, 02:46 PM   #3
metalhead_mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_silver_ghia
I had the headgasket done on my car for about $500, but it can be up anywhere between about $500 and $1000. Other problems to be careful of are power windows which can stuff up and are a few hundred dollars to fix, and make sure the aircon works too. Overall, they are a nice car though.
ive already checked all 4 power windows so thats all good, theres alot of electrics that can stuff up on an nl fairlane i havnt checked the cruise and the rest but im guessing the rest of it wont cost as much as a new power window motor or 2

and also whats the best aftermarket exhaust for an nl 6cyl? i wana keep the duel exhaust cause its got the chrome tips still on it im willing to spend up too 1500 but id rather only have to spend 1,000 or 1200
Old 02-06-2007, 04:00 PM   #4
JUZXR8
Hmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead_mike
i wanted a v8 but i dont know that theres much difference in power or reliability between the v8 and the I6 except the v8 has a better note of course but i assumed the 6 im getting will be cheaper for parts to fix than the v8 version

Mate, ive owned an ED 4.0l whcih had never ending problems and no balls, an EA 3.9l which suprisingly had less problems than the ED....and also with less balls and i now own an EB XR8, and i tell you what....the power is alot better and the V8's are a very very reliable engine. Ive had the XR8 for about 8 months and the only problem ive had is a powersteering hose.

My 2c neway

But from the sounds of things, for it to have done 211000k's and not blown a headgasket, it must have been taken care of very well! sounds like a good pickup mate!
JUZXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 03:34 PM   #5
metalhead_mike

so what duel exhaust system best for an nl fairlane 6? pacemakers and 2/12 inch catback?
Old 04-06-2007, 03:41 PM   #6
XR6TickfordBoy
Now XR8TickfordBoy

Mate headgasket is sure to go pretty soon if it hasnt already. If your like alot of people that have little mechanical knoweledge or contacts shop around but be prepared to pay between the $500-$1000 mark. As this happened to me when I bought my first EA. Otrher than headgaskets ive found all e-series, particularly EF/EL's to be super reliable so you shouldn't have too many problems. For that price you should get super value from the car!
EF XR8- Respray in Monza Red with Clear Coat, Custom Rear Bar, AU V8, EL GT MAF, Rebuilt and Strengthened Auto with Stage 2 Shift Kit, 2,500RPM Stallie and tranny cooler, Rebuilt Diff with 4.11 Gears, Custom Radiator, King Ultra Lows, Pedders Shocks, NL Concorde Rims.
XR6TickfordBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 09:14 PM   #7
mark_TD
XR6 Turbo FTW

There is no problems with Limo's LOL. Great buy. Im very happy with my Lincoln Type Design (LTD)
Blueprint, 19" FG2 XR6 Luxo Rims, Momo Steering Wheel, XR8 Bonnet Buldge, Full Leather, 3.7 Typhoon Diff Gears, Force Lip Spoiler, De-badged, Ghia Boot Garnish, Pedders Adjustable Coil- Overs And Camber Kit

96 EL XR6 - (Daily)
Gunmetal Grey, 19" Typhoon Copies, Tickford Body Kit, Pedders Sports Ryders With Shortened Shocks And Camber Kit, Full S/S Difilipo Exhaust With Matching Extractors

mark_TD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2007, 10:52 PM   #8
crankyTX5

I have recently traded my EL Fairmont wagon with 184K. Sticky power windows like some graphite powder in the slides, watch the brake light switch because they tend to get unreliable. It will also give you a moment when you have the cruise control on and you get more power instead of cancelling. If the climate control is doing funny things then there is a reboot which is in the owners manual. You most likely need leads if they haven't been replaced. Best car I owned my wife liked deploying the airbag.
crankyTX5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2007, 07:37 PM   #9
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Sounds like a good deal to me...
As for head gaskets, 249,000k's and mine hasnt blown, and the overflow is still looking new, if it has been meticulously(sp?) cared for, like mine, you wont even notice the high K's in the ride and handling...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2007, 02:54 PM   #10
metalhead_mike

i need help testing the sls ive already read this from aussiblue:

Do a self levelling suspension (SLS) self check key off ignition on flick door light switch on driver's A pillar three times in 1 second and SLS will raise, lower, them slightly raise SLS and flash the SLS light several times as a fault code. Count the flashes and post the results here.

but which light is he talking about wtf is an A pillar and is it meant to be done with the ignition on or off
Old 06-06-2007, 03:27 PM   #11
Dezza
Parts bin special

A-pillar is the roof pillar in front of the driver's door. It continues right down to the sill at the bottom.

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
Old 06-06-2007, 07:04 PM   #12
metalhead_mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_silver_ghia
A-pillar is the roof pillar in front of the driver's door. It continues right down to the sill at the bottom.
i still havnt worked out how too do it, dont suppose it matters anyway the sls is getting scrapped for some ultralow springs in the **** and super lows in the front with some good quality shocks when im ready to part with 1500 bucks

why do fairlanes sit so damn high in the **** end the thing looks like a 4X4
Old 06-06-2007, 07:34 PM   #13
Dezza
Parts bin special

Yeah. SLS is shocking. I put up with mine for 5 years! It sat ultra-high, and it handled like crap (plus everytime I started the car up, people thought there was something wrong with it, due to the noise from the SLS compressor)