Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-03-2008, 12:13 AM   #1
BFD83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Typhoon Intake On AU

Hey guys, i was just wondering if its worth having a 2nd air intake like the typhoon intakes are with another one just under the normal snorkel? Would it make much difference? Cheers!

BFD83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 07:53 AM   #2
sly
Sly like a G6

It would make 3/5 of 5/8 difference unless you have already done something about the 2.5" bellmouth in the airbox lid. You can cut out the rubber and run a 3" pipe in through the square plate using the stock clamp to seal around the pipe if you want to keep the panel filter.

It looks something like this:

Or you can run a 3" pipe to a pod in the box like this:

then cut a slot in the back of the airbox lid so you can put it back on over the pipe.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 09:14 AM   #3
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Ive got a 6 , and I Added the Whole BA Typhoon Airbox to mine .. Funnily Enough you lose power iwth it .. But I Grabbed my old AU Airbox and Made the Hole in the Front .. Mounted the F6 Extra Intake and Grabed 1kw ..

It would be more Beneficial for an XR6/8 Fronted car as the Airflow is Better Behind the Lights .. as the Standard Falcon Headlight acts as a Windsheild

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2PWR
It would be more Beneficial for an XR6/8 Fronted car as the Airflow is Better Behind the Lights...
Which Brent has.

Go for it mate, you have nothing to lose. Let me know how you go.

Have a good easter too mate, I'll talk to you about later about going for a cruise at some stage as well.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
WoodysXR6
Wanting a sprint!

Every little bit helps, whats the cost of this mod for the f6 lower half intake ?
Old 20-03-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
bf tubs

just cut a hole and plumb a pipe yourself it about as easy as it gets
 bf tubs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 07:24 PM   #7
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

glad this topic has been brought up, i have a dedicated gas AU and have wondered if a typhoon intake would help, the only concern i have is that due to it being gas it has a pipe leading from the original snorkel if i had a secondary intake would it run a little lean? as there is less air passing through the original snorkel into the pipe which leads to the gas converter unit thingy

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
schuldiner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2008, 07:50 PM   #8
WoodysXR6
Wanting a sprint!

Id rather just hand cash over and be done with it for this mod.
Plus i like to leave the original parts in tack ,anyone got costs involved.

Im sure you would feel the same way brent.
Old 20-03-2008, 08:46 PM   #9
sly
Sly like a G6

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuldiner
glad this topic has been brought up, i have a dedicated gas AU and have wondered if a typhoon intake would help, the only concern i have is that due to it being gas it has a pipe leading from the original snorkel if i had a secondary intake would it run a little lean? as there is less air passing through the original snorkel into the pipe which leads to the gas converter unit thingy
Some LPG systems have the balance line run to the airbox below the filter, with the scoop facing the incoming airflow, instead of running to the snorkel.

Or you could add the 'Phoon intake, set up a pod in the box, drill the back of the box lid to ventilate any excess air the pod can't take, and do away with the balance line altogether.
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 06:44 PM   #10
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
Some LPG systems have the balance line run to the airbox below the filter, with the scoop facing the incoming airflow, instead of running to the snorkel.

Or you could add the 'Phoon intake, set up a pod in the box, drill the back of the box lid to ventilate any excess air the pod can't take, and do away with the balance line altogether.
how would a pod filter mean i can do away with said pipe?
as i said mine sits just inside the original snorkle so you think it is possible to basically hacksaw off the pipe so its just pointing in the direction of the airflow? anybody got a spare balance pipe they don't want?:P

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
Old 25-03-2008, 10:00 PM   #11
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly
It would make 3/5 of 5/8 difference unless you have already done something about the 2.5" bellmouth in the airbox lid. You can cut out the rubber and run a 3" pipe in through the square plate using the stock clamp to seal around the pipe if you want to keep the panel filter.

It looks something like this:

Or you can run a 3" pipe to a pod in the box like this:

then cut a slot in the back of the airbox lid so you can put it back on over the pipe.
are you sure that this helps...? i know the airbox exit hole is smaller on an AU than a EF but ford would have done it for a reason...? also a it strange that SS inductions only have a snorkel mod...
(im not talking about the pod just talking about increaseing the exit hole size)

2015 SZ MkII Ford Territory TS
Aero Blue, RWD Petrol, Standard Sat Nav.

2013 TF Ford Kuga Ambiente
Panther Black, AWD, 6 Speed Auto, 1.6lt ecoBoost Turbo Petrol.

Was
2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock...

2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Gun Metal Grey, Lumpy Straight 6
fourl6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 10:58 PM   #12
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam.giles
are you sure that this helps...? i know the airbox exit hole is smaller on an AU than a EF but ford would have done it for a reason...? also a it strange that SS inductions only have a snorkel mod...
(im not talking about the pod just talking about increaseing the exit hole size)
why wouldn't it help? it's a 4lt engine, it needs all the air it can get, why do you think they redesigned it for the ba's? if the au one was good enough would they have had to redesign it? every little bit helps, it also makes it easier for the motor to get air higher up in the rev range, as this is where the restriction is most noticed
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2008, 11:03 PM   #13
schuldiner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam.giles
ss inductions also give you carbon fibre fuse box covers as part of their intake kit:P not bagging them, but from what i've seen g&d kits dont get rid of that 2 1\2 bellmouth either which i thought they would have for the $500 odd price tag...

see my ute here

AU parts for sale
Old 26-03-2008, 04:41 AM   #14
BLACKAUXR8
Young !@#$ Head

Brent a quick bit of advice. I get mine back from the panel beaters next week :-) Give us a ring and come up and i'll show you how i did mine. Its got a 3 inch pipe behind the headlight mounter air tight to the airbox useing an EB bellmouth of the EB airbox. Gave me better fuel economy and power

PS this should help you I6 as stated before if you have an XR. A standard falcon you will just suck hot air from the engine bay hence you will loose power. With the XR front the air flows around the twin lights forcing cold air into the air box

AU3 220 XR8
CUSTOM PEARL PAINT
LOWERED THEN LOWERED EVEN MORE
ADVANTI 20's
K&N
PORTED MANIFOLDS
TWIN 2 1/2 into 3 inch PIPES
244rwhp
NOW WITH T5 5 SPEED
COBRA CLUTCH AND BILLET LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL

SUZUKI GSX-R 750
BLACK 2007 MODEL